Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am having the header gaskets replaced in my 455 and they tell me that whoever installed them did not drill and tap an new hole on each end to get them to seal properly.

Has anybody else ever successfully drilled these holes while the heads were still in the car or is it absolutely necessary to pull the heads and have them drilled on a press. I think it would be fine if the hole was not absolutly straight.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
depending on the headers it can be a daunting job just getting them to bolt up without leaks in the first place, first time i dropped my motor in seriously took me 7 hrs to get the headers bolted up and in place. i doubt you could do anything but screw up your heads trying to do them while in the car

·
Registered
460 Posts
First thing that jumps to mind is ... this is not a weekend crafts project, this is not a glue and nails birdhouse, this is not a snap and go plastic model. It's a high performance Pontiac. And if it were me, I'd do it right the first time for the last time.

But hey it's your ride.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess the right thing is to pull the heads. I'll spend the extra money now so I dont have to do this a second time. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
686 Posts
VEEERRRROOOOMMMM!!!!!!! uncle E

Head-off-manifold bolted down, drill. Or say f'it and go for the Ram Air.

I am sure every one pushing the ram air manifolds sounds like a cheesy spokes person for their company, but every one knows or will soon know. That out side of full up racing. Headers can have some draw backs. Some people have no trouble with them and others can't fix them fast enough. The RA manifolds are less likely to leak and don't need mods for the most part.

Now if I can just find that pile of money I keep miss placing. Better go ask the wife she might know:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
I speak from experience....given the choice (flow) I would put cast ram air headers on my car in a heartbeat!....aside from weight, if you don't need tube headers, I can't see areason for 'em. IMHO> E

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
got a good deal on some brand new three pipe Hedmans (100.00) with jet coating, looks like they will eliminate a lot of the issues i have with my 4 pipes as the third bolt back is more accessible and i can actually get an open end on them and turn it more than 1/100th of a rotation at one time. Am dreaming of the RA manifolds, just not in the cards right now.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Like that, If the wife knows where the money pile is/was, beleive me she already spent it....on important stuff, like drapes, nail polish, smelly candles, new sheets, etc.....

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
got a good deal on some brand new three pipe Hedmans (100.00) with jet coating, looks like they will eliminate a lot of the issues i have with my 4 pipes as the third bolt back is more accessible and i can actually get an open end on them and turn it more than 1/100th of a rotation at one time. Am dreaming of the RA manifolds, just not in the cards right now.
But his problem is different...much work, parts, machine shop, coolant, gaskets, labor....will help offset the price of those beautiful new mqanifolds........you just want them, he needs them!:D

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
had a chance prior to dropping the motor to get a set around half off and passed for headers....live and learn hope our experiences help in the decision, wish i would have listened to the guys that had "been there, done that"....i am saving my pennies and putting them on my x-mas list. but as said earlier looks like he's about scratch if he's paying someone to do it (and they know what they are in for)...:willy:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I decided not to spend $750 to save some rusty old headers. One of them was crushed anyway. Looks like the better deal may be to get the $400 ram air manifold and a downpipe. Would be cheaper as long as I still don't have to drill the heads.

The manifold pics on the website still shows 2 bolt holes on each end. I'll have to call them to talk it over and see if it fits my '72 455 with the D-ports.

Thanks for the advice on this.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
So I decided not to spend $750 to save some rusty old headers. One of them was crushed anyway. Looks like the better deal may be to get the $400 ram air manifold and a downpipe. Would be cheaper as long as I still don't have to drill the heads.

The manifold pics on the website still shows 2 bolt holes on each end. I'll have to call them to talk it over and see if it fits my '72 455 with the D-ports.

Thanks for the advice on this.
DEFINATELY call them and see if they have amatch for your heads....you'll be happy with them!:cheers

·
Registered
686 Posts
Like that, If the wife knows where the money pile is/was, beleive me she already spent it....on important stuff, like drapes, nail polish, smelly candles, new sheets, etc.....
I painted, replaced every light fixture, switch cover, towel hanger, soap holder, toothbrush hanger, shower curtain, curtain rod, and curtain hanger in the master bathroom this week end. There are more plains then I have time or desire. It is safe to say she has a firm grip on the nest egg:seeya

We have every nail color and shoe color for every color of nurses uniforms also. I am sure she would be sent home if she wasn't color coordinated when she got to work.

Don't get me wrong we very rarely have a disagreement and she works a ton of hours. You know the old saying if momma is happy I get to have cars and parts.:cheers

It is fine to do the inside honeydo list since Satin is having a BBQ this week. It is a steam bath outside.:mad:

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Don't feel bad Ilike, i had to do custom tile and Jacuzzi in her bath as pennants for the Tempest purchase and restoration, lucky i'm a contractor or they would cost about the same....lol

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
I get the same thing with the house...UNFORTUNATELY, I know how to do a lot of home improvement stuff, so frequently hear, "Why don't WE replace the......":rofl: Everythings a trade off!!!! E

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Every time my wife wants something I just joke with her and say "Can't. Need that money for the Pontiac" We'll see how long that lasts. I did not tell her that I bought the RamAir manifolds the other day so I am going to have to intercept the UPS guy.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I am gonna have to try that in reverse Eric..."why don't WE replace the rear end with a 3.08 12 bolt posi"...:D Buddy texted me a lead on a 69' firebird the other day and i told him i can only pull a stunt like the Tempest once every decade or so. He prceeded to tell me he had a spare garage bay to hide it...lol

GotYour...the answer is "not long" so get your parts while you can....i have the UPS guy trained to leave the parts behind the shop if i am not here. If momma isn't happy no one is.....:shutme

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
My neighbor has a Oldsmobile Delta. His brother is restoring it for him. He has owned it for 3 years, and hasn't figured out how to break the news to his wife........:eek::rofl:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts