Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a turbo 350 into my lemans. It has a 1970 pontiac 350 motor. The leak is after I drive it and turn it off, it drips a fairly significant amount from around the torque converter, maybe a teaspoon each side (no dust plate installed yet). The kick down, lines, modulator, shifter, rear seal, all seem to be holding good but it's leaking from around the converter. And it doesn't seem to leak while running. When I bolted the TC to the flywheel, it did pull forward to the wheel about 3/8 inch. I'm wondering if it is not seated back far enough? I could definately fit some washers between the TC and the flywheel if this would help? Thoughts? Appreciated it.

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
It could be a bad seal or oil pump drive bushing. I wouldn't shim it out with washers cause the center if it is supposed to insert into the end of the crank for stability. Shim it out and only the flex plate will be supporting the converter. Try this, loosen the torque converter, rotate the motor a few times, re-tighten the torque converter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, won't hurt anything to try.

BTW, just as a fyi, I had heard the turbo 350 was basically a plug and play for the power glide, but in my case I found the dip stick needed to be, lets say, "modified" to fit properly. This was not a big deal but probably took longer than the rest of the destall install. Thanks for all the tips!!

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Thanks, won't hurt anything to try.

BTW, just as a fyi, I had heard the turbo 350 was basically a plug and play for the power glide, but in my case I found the dip stick needed to be, lets say, "modified" to fit properly. This was not a big deal but probably took longer than the rest of the destall install. Thanks for all the tips!!
Did you try the tube from the P/G to see if it worked in the 350 case. I don't remember if they were located in the same place, but the curve would fit the firewall.

·
Registered
235 Posts
In hindsight I always replace the front seal of an auto if I install one. The price/headache ratio supports this path.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine was actually a super turbine 300 instead of a power glide. I did try that but the the angle and length in which they enter the body of the transmission are completely differen.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you are dead on. I did give the front seal bolts a mild tighten prior to the install. Probably a rebuild to some degree would have saved some headache. Live and learn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts