Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to invest in decent paint equipment, rather than pay someone to paint the Chevelle.........OK, I can't afford to pay someone anyway, but that's beside the point.

I bought this set of DeVilbiss paint guns from Eastwood.

I converted my "boat house" into my "paint booth"...

Hung 4 150 watt flood lamps from the ceiling.

They illuminated the table pretty well.

Put all the pieces in epoxy primer/sealer.

It was right after this that I read Thors comment on getting dirt/dust on his primed parts and he thought it was due to using a table. I had the same experience....lots of particles in the paint. I hand sanded the primer to get the dirt and un-even texture of the primer down flat again. What a PITA. Epoxy primer isn't supposed to be sanded and it balled up under the paper and I had to constantly clean the part and paper to get it off.
Once I was OK with the surface I went ahead and had the original paint matched from a fender and shot everything Orange. EVERYHING got hung and wiped with tack cloth just before painting.

The fender got set on a tall saw horse. There is NO bondo work done on here. I can't do filler to save my soul and since this is SUPPOSED to be temporary, I just painted over the patch seam. Doesn't look too bad until you get really close.

Not perfectly smooth by any measure, but it IS shiney.

I shot the lower window channel too. Another PITA to prep. All that work to paint a strip of metal 1.5 inches wide.

·
Registered
668 Posts
From my experience painting in my shop, the underside of the car is the hard part. You need light below the body line or you cant see enough to get good coverage and gloss. Painting the Yellow TA was the worst, I couldnt see anything it was so bright.

Doesnt look too bad though. I spent $350 on my gun, it was well worth it compared to the crappy job the cheap guns did. My filler work needs improvement as well, so you arent alone.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mitch,

Great job on the booth setup and Devilbliss gun, I have the same brand and love it! I'm glad I was able to assist unknowingly with your project.

If I may make an observation/suggestion; I noticed the floor in your tent was dirt, you may eliminate a lot of the dust by laying down a plastic sheet, it would be an in-expensive floor solution that could save you a lot of sanding time.

What are you running for air filtration on your compressor?

-Thor

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mitch,

Great job on the booth setup and Devilbliss gun, I have the same brand and love it! I'm glad I was able to assist unknowingly with your project.

If I may make an observation/suggestion; I noticed the floor in your tent was dirt, you may eliminate a lot of the dust by laying down a plastic sheet, it would be an in-expensive floor solution that could save you a lot of sanding time.

What are you running for air filtration on your compressor?

-Thor
I had dampened the floor beforehand to hold the dust down but I do have a tarp large enough to cover the whole thing.....good suggestion, I will use that next time. I still have the left fender and right door to paint.

Air filtration is a paper element at the intake. I do have a final desiccant filter/trap right at the gun.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Mitch, looks great, good job. Love to see the final pics! Keep it up and you will be tmc--too many cars, less projects!
Nothing better than drinking a cold one and watching paint dry!!
Really need side lighting. It is easy to load paint up on flat surfaces, the side of the car is were finesse comes into play, enough paint/clear to finish without running the clear..

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Looks pretty good to me Mitch.....I always figgered that I could probably paint pretty well, but I KNOW I can't do body work!!!:cheers I hope you can afford to keep fuel in your rig so you can keep working. I saw diesel at $4.50 here today!!!:mad: Eric

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks pretty good to me Mitch.....I always figgered that I could probably paint pretty well, but I KNOW I can't do body work!!!:cheers I hope you can afford to keep fuel in your rig so you can keep working. I saw diesel at $4.50 here today!!!:mad: Eric
Not buying any fuel yet. There's no work for the truck so it is still in storage 20 miles away. It would cost $2,000 just to buy the license tab and put insurance on it for a 20 mile drive home, so it can sit where it is for $25 a month until I have work....:(

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Not buying any fuel yet. There's no work for the truck so it is still in storage 20 miles away. It would cost $2,000 just to buy the license tab and put insurance on it for a 20 mile drive home, so it can sit where it is for $25 a month until I have work....:(
A lot of my friends had to give up thier owner/operator business for reasons as you have stated.....tags, fuel, rod tax, permits tolls, log books, weight limits, etc.= not much left for the driver.....:(

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Mitch, great going on the painting. I was at a car show yesterday, and was asking the entrants what they paid for their paint jobs. The prices ranged from $5000 dollars for stuff done 10 years ago to over 20,000 dollars for some "new" stuff. Some of the jobs were flawless, others more "driver" quality. It seems 5 to 10 grand will buy a driver quality paint job these days out fere. When I redo my next one, I'm going to do what you are doing. When we painted my '67 in 1993 after work in the repair shop I worked at, it had orange peel in some places and I forgot to blow out the front windshield channel and ended up with a bunch of crud in the paint on the LF fender because of that (still there!). What I DID find out was that 40 hours of wet sanding can fix almost anything, and today, my single stage acrylic enamel still looks great. I've since learned that you "can't wet sand metallics", but I didn't know any better. I've also found out that solid colors are the best ones to shoot, like black, red, orange, white, etc. and can be easily "fixed" if you have runs or orange peel. On another forum, people are raving about a single stane from PPG that is supposed to be user friendly and really bulletproof. Good luck with the projects....that Chevelle is coming along fine.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"Single Stane" ???? I meant "single stage"!!!! Too excited..............
Thanks Jeff. The paint I have is single stage PPG OMNI urethane. IF I let it flash for a couple minutes between light coats, it works really well. Once I have a couple light coats that are really sticky, I lay on a fairly heavy "wet" coat to blend itself and get the shine. A couple people in my local Camaro club have seen it and can't believe it's that smooth and shiny right out of the "booth". The left fender had a lot of paint gobs from NOT using a filter to pour the paint into the gun, and I got a few runs in that one too from poor lighting along the bottom edge. Oh well, I'm sanding it all down and using the paint as a filler in the low areas now....:lol:

As a side note, the 3M paint masks, I've been using cost $30 and are supposed to be disposed of after 30-40 hours of paint time or 30 days. Mine expire before I get enough paint time on them. My neighbor retired from 3M a couple years ago and after seeing my set-up smacked himself on the forehead and said "why didn't I think of this before now" ??? He took me to the employee company store this week and I bought 2 of the SAME masks for $4 EACH....:eek: I also use 5" adhesive discs in various grits on my orbital sander and pay around $48 for a roll. I bought 3 rolls of discs for $25....:cool I was like a kid in a candy store. Huge roll of duct tape...$1.50....household Scotch invisible tape, .25 each, etc. I came out of there with $200 worth of stuff for $48....:D

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Also, the neat thing about single stage urethane in a non-metallic color is that you can sand the runs out with no ill effects. I was at an I-CAR class fairly recently, and the painting instructor said one of the best ways to learn to lay on paint was to hang single sheets of newspaper up and shoot them. He said the goal was to cover the print but to avoid runs. Too light, and you could see the print and the paper, too heavy, and it'll run. Cheaper than junkyard fenders to practice on. I have not tried it, but it sounds like a good tip.....

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
While I was painting, I didn't smell anything. It was just like breathing fresh air. I let it all hang for an hour and went back in without the mask to take parts down and HOLY CRAP, I almost passed out from the fumes !!! I couldn't believe how strong it still was in there. I had to put the mask back on to move the parts into the shop for the night !

I have plenty of scrap metal around here to paractice on, I just don't like wasting the paint at $65 a QUART ...:eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts