Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most people here have had problems with the top of the back seats and i am as well... the leather has split at the seems and even the head rest is splitting at the seams... does anyone here know of a leather conditioner that cures leather thats as hard as a friggin rock lol?...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
because i plan to have them repaired and in the "hard" state that they are in i would figure it would be pretty impossible...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
First thing to do is get some elephant wax and hand massage your seats. It is hard to find and you may have to go thru a professional detailer.
After that you can use Lexol cleaner & conditioner about once every 3 months to maintain leather. If your car sits outside uncovered, then you may want to do the Lexol once a month.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
No amount of conditioning the leather will help once the leather gets to the point of failing. The issue is inferior leather on these cars, this has been hashed out on this forum for years. The inferior leather shrinks and pulls away from the stitching.

According to a local auto upholsterer who examined mine (garage kept, constantly oiled and kept like new) showed me the difference between quality and poor grades of leather. The leather in my '05 looked ok to me but when put side by side a better grade it looked and felt like crap. Asked if the cover can be removed and restitched, was told the leather will tear is was just that brittle.

There are those who have daily drivers and are not garage kept who have not had this issue as well as those garage kept that have this issue me being one. Its not necessarily the heat build up from the back window, its the inferior quality of the leather. If it were a heat issue then this issue would be common place with other cars with leather interiors. Mine was replaced under warranty I was lucky. Others haven't been. I seen some really looking bad and some looking like new. I soaked the tops of my seat with leather conditioner routinely paying attention to the threads and I was a victim. It's not the type leather conditioner you use, its the leather itself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts