Pontiac GTO Forum banner

LED exterior light conversion...the rest of it

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Jetzster 
#1 ·
So I recently redid all the rear light wiring, replaced the bulb sockets and converted the tail lights to LED on my '66. Love it! Did my headlights too...amazing difference in general appearance and safety IMHO.

I read in several places that I cannot convert the front blinker bulbs to LED (in the grill inserts) b/c it will mess things up with the blinker switch (which I swapped over to the reverse polarity LED unit when I did the rears). This true? If not, are they the same bulbs as the rear?

Lastly, my backup lights are awful and I'd love to swap these to bright LED...can't see sh*t. Can this be done without any upstream repercussions? If so, any LED bulb recs for these?

Lastly, lastly, is there a good LED bulb swap for the dome light? That is the only interior light I'd like to switch to a bright LED.

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
ylw
You can do front blinkers to replace your
1157A amber bulbs , just pick which 1157
Has the most SMDs (27 or more)
for Lumens on it you want , and pick
‘Amber’ as it’s color under
‘show specifications’’
Super Brite Leds

Just be sure to look at and verify each LED bulb dimensions
Especially on the larger SMDs ones
To make sure there not too long or wide
To fit in the front turn sockets
or the backup sockets and not hit the lenses

if you still have1895s in the dash turn signal
Indicators or have already replaced the flasher unit with an LED one all is good,

Same for backups, lookup 1156 , if you want them brighter , pick something with alot of SMDs in natural white, nothing is upstream to affect them.
Font Office supplies Parallel Screenshot Tool
Product Font Screenshot Parallel Office supplies
Product Font Bottle Material property Screenshot
Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Screenshot

this thread had more info,
like which dome or console lite, etc
And a bulb # chart per GTO year

hope this helps

#3 ·
I changed my 66 to all led and am very pleased as well. In regards to the front turn indicators I did have the issue where they didn’t blink-just stayed on. The 66 has one indicator in the dash and i had to install a rectifier diode in the circuit to get them to work correctly. I’m trying to remember the details but I’m sure an internet search will yield results, that’s how I found it.

I had to buy a pack of 50 rectifiers from Amazon for $5.

#7 ·
Partial success. The reverse LED lights are great, which was my main concern.

The dome light is non-op. Discovered a fried, shorted wire I'll fix tomorrow. At least I know why it wasn't working now and maybe it helps explain the slow battery drain some (scary what else may be like this...little by little!)

Installed the front blinker LEDs and they work with driving lights, but they both blink at the same time when signalling. Any thoughts? I did instal the LED blinker switch when I did the rears.

These are the bulbs i bought

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.