Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are ton's of HP after market parts for the GTO and other cars such as Exhaust, intakes and so on.. The problem is that they are legal to purchase and install but if they alter your emission control system they become illegal, In Connecticut all of our vehicles have to go through State emission testing every year or so and if you fail the test [ most altered intakes do fail ] you have to correct the problem and it can be very costly. I also know of several people who were stopped by the Cops for different reasons and they were asked to open their hoods, if they saw altered intakes, altered anti polution devices, they received pretty big fines.. even with motorcyles that have after market exhaust are being fined

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm not sure how effective it is on our cars, but on my Nissan when I put a header on it and got rid of the cat, I used a drilled out spark plug antifouler to back the second o2 sensor out of the direct line of exhaust, which was enough for it to think the cat was still working properly and no SES, which is good if all they do is OBD tests when it's time for emmissions. I would assume this would also work well on the GTO as long as you do it for the second o2 sensor on both pipes.

I'm curious how they say the intake fails if it's not throwing the SES light for emmissions related failures. That's at least how it works here.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
emisions

they do not say the intake fails.. the emission test itself gives you car a fail..exceeds carbon monoxide or dioxide levels or sub par oxygen levels

·
Registered
234 Posts
Oh I see, they use the sniffer there. They just plug into the OBD port here to check and verify that the car isn't throwing any codes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Most proper performance parts for the streets do not alter emissions systems. If they have a DOT rating, they are not illegal, but may require you to present the certificate during emissions testing. In general, if the part negatively alters your tailpipe emissions, it often negatively alters efficiency and performance (forced induction aside).

I've never heard of cops ticketing for modified intakes. Honda's that are dumped, fart-canned, and sporting Boeing 747 wings are often a target for noise, light, or saftey violations, but I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for a cone filter.

I worked in a shop with an emissions dyno. The operator couldn't tell a cone filter from an ice cream cone. Most vehicles never even had the hood opened. Cats must be present (physically) and CE lights must be OFF.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
I am not sure what is legal or not anymore.

I have a neighbor who has an 05' Ford Mustang. It is so loud it's annoying. I just cannot see how this can be legal. I don't know if it's a loud mouth or what the hell it is. The decibel level rivals open headers. All I know is it's pathetically loud. It takes away from the appearance of the car because you look at it with disgust because of the noise.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
How can it be louder than open headers?:willy: :confused

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
street legal

some jerks just make their cars loud to make you think it is quick. there is one assin my town who drives around with no mufflers on his mustang,, not open headers, just no mufflers

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
It could be louder than open headers if an amplification device such as a megaphone shaped exhaust tip is installed on a vehicle. Most VTLs state that "no one shall alter an exhaust system as to cause a higher sound level than the vehicle came equiped with from the factory". Excessive noise can be determined by "officers discretion". And noise loud enough to "disturb the peace"....a grey area if there ever was one. TRANSLATION: If your car is loud enough to cheese off your nieghbor, or the local cop, you are gonna get a ticket. Eric

1 - 10 of 10 Posts