Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took my passenger side exhaust manifold off (for reasons i wish not to discuss:mad:) and noticed that there was some kind of flapper valve that was wire tied closed. what is the point of this valve and is there a way to eliminate this without spending big money going with ram air manifolds or some type of header?

·
Registered
554 Posts
flapper

That would be the heat riser valve, and is thermostatically controlled (normally a bi-metal spring) and is used for cold weather starts. It'll be closed when cold, directing exhaust gas from the right side through the passageway in the intake, and into the left exhaust bank, heating up the carb for better cold weather drivability. The valve will slowly open as the engine heats up, and be fully open when hot, allowing the right bank to flow freely without going through the intake. If your valve was tied closed, then all right bank exhaust would be diverted through the intake. If anything, they should have tied it OPEN. Depending what kind of carb setup you have,(and what part of the country you live in) you may want to make it fully functional again (if it's not rotted away), or disconnect it altogether (cut the flap out of it, and weld the holes). When I lived up north, I always made SURE that baby was working. (I dare you to try and drive your car at 40 below zero without one!). :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts