Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Front fenders are different ('70 GTO are "unique" to that year). Rear valance is also different (reliefs for exhaust).

Wood veneer on the dash, deck lid must be reconfigured to "fill" the holes where "PONTIAC" was. Emblems on the door panels...

Most importantly? VIN...

Jim

·
Registered
194 Posts
The biggest other then vin is engine, trans, and rearend. Doesn't the gto have diffrent anti sway bar and shocks? Lemans says tempest in the glove box. Gto's had tilt steering. There are other things that are escaping me and things that are obvious like gto emblem on interior of doors. Would be interesting to do a t37 clone? I'm going to get a 70 lemans sport I found the other day and have visions of cloning it also. Better then letting it rust into the ground but not justifiable to restore to a lemans.

·
Registered
173 Posts
"Titl wheel" was an option (not "standard") on all the A-bodies, not just GTO. I believe the front sway bar was 7/8" as a "base", and the 1 1/8" version was in the optional "handling package". Don't "quote" me on the last... :)-

A LeMans is an excellent candidate for a "street machine". Collector value is much lower than GTO, but functionally, LeMans can be identical. So modifying the chassis for performance isn't "sacrilidgeous" as it could be considered with a "real" GTO. Consider the psychological "impact" of a LeMans smoking that modern ricer, instead of GTO. You'll leave them "wondering what happened..."

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts