Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am a total pontiac newb, I just sold my 69 El Camino in order to buy this charming 1970 LeMans with the original 350 drivetrain, i noticed it had a couple little badge holes below the lemans badging and so i ran the vin and found out it was a LeMans Sport, now my question is - What is the difference between a LeMans and the Sport? is it just an engine option thing or did they come with beefed up diffs/suspension? thanks! - Andrew (PS. here is a pic of the LeMans!)

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
For 1970, Pontiac reshuffled its intermediate lineup a bit with the LeMans Outlaw edition nameplate downgraded to the mid-line sub-series previously known as the Tempest Custom and included two- and four-door pillared sedans, while the previous top-shelf LeMans series was renamed the LeMans Sport in the same three body styles including a four-door hardtop sedan, two-door hardtop coupe and convertible. This year, bigger engines - which had previously reserved for GTOs - were made available on lesser Tempest/LeMans models including a 400 CID V8 rated at 265 hp with a two-barrel carburetor or a 330 hp option with a four-barrel carburetor and dual exhausts. At mid-year the bottom-shelf Tempest line, which initially included only two- and four-door sedans, got a low-price T-37 hardtop coupe which was initially billed as "General Motors' lowest-priced hardtop (undercut by a base Chevrolet Chevelle hardtop coupe introduced a few weeks later). To offer younger buyers a mid-sized muscle car that was less expensive than the GTO, Pontiac offered the T-37 hardtop coupe with a GT-37 appearance package that included striping, three-speed floor shift transmission, tuned suspension and other tinsel. The GT-37 was available with any Tempest/LeMans V8 from the standard 350 two-barrel to the 400 four-barrel. Replacing the Pontiac-built OHC six-cylinder as the base engine for Tempest/LeMans models for 1970 was Chevrolet's 250 cubic-inch inline six-cylinder engine, while the 350 two-barrel was again the base V8 engine and the four-barrel 350 HO was discontinued.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
The 455 V8 was also an option on the '70-'71 LeMans Sport, and GT-37 and T-37 as well, as far as I know. Basically a GTO without the super high insurance costs!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So they still made a base LeMans but in 70 they renamed the better performance package LeMans the LeMans Sport? sweet, im diggin that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts