Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
temp got up to around 60 today so i laid on a few more coats of high build and guide coated the whole car with 180 laser straight, shot one more heavy coat to wet sand out. Also got my trunk battery set up finished and ready for install. have work the rest of the week so motor may be going in this weekend so if i ding it i can still touch up before paint. Getting closer.....:party:

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hard sanding is all done E, guide coated it all after two double wet coats and started sanding a quarter to see how it looked. Well once i started there was no way i was gonna leave it a blotchy mess any longer so i buckled down and got-r-done. hopefully get motor in this weekend and work on the wetsanding a panel at a time back to front at my leisure, hoping to get it in color by the end of the month and start re-assembly on schedule for May driving season...have just kept telling myself what i tell my re-modeling customer when i am demo'ing their kitchen...have to make it look like crap before i can make it look pretty. Yes Jet it's great to see it all back in one color at least, body line all straight and sharp, got that door cowl gap back in spec, cannot wait to see it in the Bahama Blue, should pop nice....i will take a vid if we get the motor up and running, installed the 2 1/2" exhaust over the weekend, i always notice when the tailpipes look off kilter on the 66-67's, i like them to be right below the reverse lights, never realized what a pain in the A** it would be to get them straight and even. What kinda tips are you guys planing on using?

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
It is true....They do look worse before they look better!!:lol: I am going with headers 2 or 2 1/8 primaries into 3 1/2" collectors.....3"pipes, muffs, 3"tails to "splitter tips" like on a 65 GTO........thats the plan anyway....

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
come on. make that extra step. take the mirror off. that will be a spot that will be difficult to shoot around. also take some 2/4 pieces and wedge the trunk hinge down. they will get in the way of shooting inside the rear window sail panel.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
come on. make that extra step. take the mirror off. that will be a spot that will be difficult to shoot around. also take some 2/4 pieces and wedge the trunk hinge down. they will get in the way of shooting inside the rear window sail panel.
I'm sure he hasn't just got there yet, work is work and everything takes time.. Nice progress!!:cheers

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes Free those Details will be taken care of, was not planning on spraying it when i got up as our weather here has been all over the map, but i decided to take advantage of a narrow window, and had to bust A** to mask, spray 2-coats, guide and block, and spray again in a 6 hour span as i am a one man show on this one. And the mirror is un mounted and when i sprayed it i pulled it away and hung it from a wire on the ceiling.....thanks for the suggestions. I do realize i am not a pro and am just trying to give myself every chance of having a "good" job on it with my limited experience and conditions. It's not a 6000.00 paint job for the simple reason i don't have 6k to throw at it and the whole rest of the car has only about that much into it....it is by all accounts a "budget Build" so what if it ends up a 10 footer, It's MY 10 footer and i can blame no one but the guy who did all the work...ME! Find that much more rewarding than throwing 20 thousand at a car that at best will be worth 10-12 and having no connection to it other than writing a check and pressing the gas pedal....:cheers

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Looking great, and that color will really scream at you. The paint on my '67 was shot in the shop where I worked as a tech after hours for $200 in materials almost 20 years ago. The only stuff wrong with it is the stuff I screwed up...it was a "5 footer" paint job, though, and came out nicer than the "pro" job on my '65. It's still on the car, and still looks fine for a "driver" which is what all cars should be. You're doing it yourself out of labor of love, you're getting it done, and you're doing a great job!! Hang in there, it gets tedious!!!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Rukee and GeeTee, The battery set-up is from a boat i sold to make room for the car and since i was planning on moving battery to the trunk for room for the cold air intakes, figured i would put it to use. Made it to fit the rear bulkhead on the boat and with one piece of angle iron in the trunk it will bolt right in. Also have two brand new NAPA dual purpose batteries. Guess if i needed a jump i would have one...:) Agree with you GeeTee, have seen some less than perfect Paint shop jobs and heard countless horror stories on others cars...decided to take the plunge and am in it to the tune of around 600.00 for materials so worst case at least the body is done and protected, and i can get the car on the road, it will be driven (in good weather) and garaged (heated). To tell you the truth i am happy with it, and i am a bit of a perfectionist, and cars without flaws live on trailers.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
have one side wet sanded down to 600, looking good so far. 600 when wet shows a nice distortion free gloss, I can stand back and look at it 3/4 angle and the parallel reflection of the garage door rails is dead straight down the whole side of the car. Had a few waves in the quarter sills so i took them down with 180 and will spray them again and wet sand back down.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
have one side wet sanded down to 600, looking good so far. 600 when wet shows a nice distortion free gloss, I can stand back and look at it 3/4 angle and the parallel reflection of the garage door rails is dead straight down the whole side of the car. Had a few waves in the quarter sills so i took them down with 180 and will spray them again and wet sand back down.
Very nice!!! :cheers

Bear

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks Bear it's coming along nicely, off to sand the other side, gonna be 70 this weekend so we may see some color go down, at least the inside trunk lid...<fingers crossed>
s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g372/instg8ter/1966 Tempest/?start=0

Brian

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks E, color is real close to the barrier blue original with a kick of very fine metal flake

heres the original trunk as i got it

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
getting there slowly but surely...yeah the putting together and taking apart must be killing you E, sometimes it seems like we are going backwards but it will all be worth it when they are on the road.....:cheers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts