Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In reference to gas, I hope it goes to $10.00 dollar's a gallon. Why ? SO everyone will have to quit driving and we can then all ride Huffy's and stick it to the Gas Company's like we should do now. Want to lower gas price's ? Don't buy from Exxon or Mobile and reduce your monthly driving by 3 percent. If we the United States of America would/could do this for just 1 month. Gas prices would drop to a $1 a gallon. It would take us all, not just a couple thousand, but everyone that own's or operates a vehicle. I heard the other day that the average cost to fill up a big rig was around $650.00... Just my .02. If you agree pass it on.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I'm thinking slave revolt. We overthrow the landed aristocracy (Politicians & CEO's) and replace their priests (Media Execs) with the Consumer Reports Television Network. One channel, no advertising, just pure truth from people with no personality. Then we open the gates of the royal treasury (refineries) and the slaves/peasants can take all they want.

Phase II - we finish what the crusaders started.

Phase III - I am crowned.....er make that elected Emperor....no,no,no, Chief, I mean Benevolent Dictator, no, that's not it, I mean, oh crap, I wanna be Pharoah.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Dragon 32 said:
In reference to gas, I hope it goes to $10.00 dollar's a gallon.
:agree What I can't seem to understand is they get so much from a barrel of oil so why put all the cost on gas? the last I checked the price of a quart of oil was the same as it was last year! And the sad thing is, it isn't the middle east that is sticking it to us, it's our own refineries they look for any reason to raise the price like hurricains and now I guess it's the tornados they will blame the higher price on. Anyway here in So.WV it just hit 2.99~3.09~3.17 a gallon :mad: On a happier note I found out that Mustang stands for Mostly Underpowered So This Aint No Gto "Aint":rofl:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Realy wanna know who to bitch at? How about the taxes implied on each gallon of gas by the Federal Government? When ever gas prices get high all you hear is politicions saying Bush needs to tell his "oil buddies" to lower gas prices. These are the same elected officials that voted gas tax increaces in the first place.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts

What?

I don't think it's fix anything, but paying $47 to fill my tank makes me cranky and get the overwhelming urge to bomb the crap out of some Sons of Mohammed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My last two gas fillups were on Exxon. :lol:

I couldnt help it.....it was too convenient!!
And I just dont feel right about pulling my new car that the dealer just got $30,000 for up to some local "Bob's Gas" with the tent over the pumps lol.
It's perception, but I cannot control it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Gas is like toilet paper. Whatever price it is, people are going to buy it, and getting inventive with a replacement isn't practicle.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah ! If toilet paper gets to high, my hands can be washed..... I know it's gross, but when someone is trying to compare Apple's to Orange's that's the reply they get.....

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have lived in Italy for about the past 3 years. Gas prices in Europe are very stable. When I left in December 2005, premium unleaded was about 1.20 Euro per liter. If you do the math with an exchange rate of 1.2 dollars to the Euro, that works out to about $5.44 per gallon. So to fill up the goat in Italy would be about $98!

Yikes!

We have got it made here in the USA!!!

·
Registered
455 Posts
bergenfelter said:
I have lived in Italy for about the past 3 years. Gas prices in Europe are very stable. When I left in December 2005, premium unleaded was about 1.20 Euro per liter. If you do the math with an exchange rate of 1.2 dollars to the Euro, that works out to about $5.44 per gallon. So to fill up the goat in Italy would be about $98!

Yikes!

Every time that I go to fill up, and start to mentally groan about the price, I try to make myself feel better by either imagining what it costs for those with large pickups/SUVs, or those in Europe. :/ Still, that doesn't cover the point that gas prices are getting out of hand.

At least in some European countries, from what people who live/have lived there have told me, government taxes make up the largest bulk of the gas price--much more than what we get hit with here.

I feel sorry for people who live in rural areas of some European countries that have the high gas prices. They get prices 2x as bad as we do here, and, since they are in a rural region, there is little to no public transportation. :(

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree that there is definitely profit taking going on with big oil. The people who work and invest in those company’s are making good money - myself included as an investor.

But everyone seems to forget the eighties when the bottom fell out of the oil market and most oil field workers and engineers were handed their hats - My Dad included. Thanks to savings we lived for two years while my father worked for nothing or pennies consulting in Bakersfield, Ca. We couldn't survive forever on nothing and moved over seas again. That's just my small story.

When the market adjusts again and Chevron or Exxon don't post a profit and God forbid we start losing American oil jobs to the foreign market, what then? No one will notice because gas is cheap again and everyone can drive their Yukon’s around at 85 on the freeway getting 10 miles to the gallon.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
GrayGoat said:
But everyone seems to forget the eighties when the bottom fell out of the oil market and most oil field workers and engineers were handed their hats - My Dad included. Thanks to savings we lived for two years while my father worked for nothing or pennies consulting in Bakersfield, Ca. We couldn't survive forever on nothing and moved over seas again. That's just my small story.

When the market adjusts again and Chevron or Exxon don't post a profit and God forbid we start losing American oil jobs to the foreign market, what then? No one will notice because gas is cheap again and everyone can drive their Yukon’s around at 85 on the freeway getting 10 miles to the gallon.
I'll bet the average engineer or oil field/platform worker is seeing very little of the record profits that companies like Exxon are sucking out of our wallets. It's all going into the hands of a relatively few fat cats like the recent retiree with the $40,000,000 parachute. That's just obscene.

No, the North American energy markets (natural gas, oil, & electric) are being manipulated on a daily basis by a relatively few "Competitors". We have a classic oligopoly with all of the abuses to prove it. Check the headlines for the big energy traders, Enron (of course), plus Sempra, Sequent. Look at the number of big oil companies today vs 25 years ago. Competition is well controlled and our government is either ineffective or financially vested in the energy industry (Bush, Cheney) whichever you choose to believe.

Nothing has changed in 3,000 years. It's good to be the King!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Groucho said:

What?

I don't think it's fix anything, but paying $47 to fill my tank makes me cranky and get the overwhelming urge to bomb the crap out of some Sons of Mohammed.
You mention dropping bombs...that's about a 16 hour sortie right there and I would say about $60,000 in JP-8...probably not going to help out the fuel situation.

·
Registered
275 Posts
PEARL JAM said:
Realy wanna know who to bitch at? How about the taxes implied on each gallon of gas by the Federal Government? When ever gas prices get high all you hear is politicions saying Bush needs to tell his "oil buddies" to lower gas prices. These are the same elected officials that voted gas tax increaces in the first place.
:agree I think it's $.35 for every gallon in taxes. Supposedly for "highways" and the like. Hmmmmmm....last time I checked here in Texas, all I seem to see being built are tollroads that NEVER get paid for.:shutme

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
bergenfelter said:

Yikes!

Bad argument. The vast majority of that price is government taxes. You can buy gas at the one little station in Vatican City for far, far less. When you remove the taxes, Europeans actually pay LESS for the raw fuel than we do -- and they import 100% of it.

Just cut back on your use of fuel -- and never, ever put some buttmunch son of a Texas oilman in the White House again.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lots of mis-information here.

Exxon/Mobil does not control the price of fuel except for a few cents (literally 2 or 3 cents) per gallon. With this last cash infusion, they've paid off debt and plowed money into development and acquiring additional reserves. At least, that's what the free market oil companies have done.

Exxon/Mobil only controls 3% of the worlds oil. They are not causing the price hike. Refineries are mostly owned by the oil companies.

The cost of a barrel of oil is decided by a few things. The cost of extraction is first and foremost. Second is shipping. Then there are speculators. And finally the classic supply/demand. At the moment, there is enough supply of oil. However, we are 25% below our refining needs. This is due to the environmental lobby not allowing new refineries, and also due to last years hurricanes.

The speculators are the main culprets. They panic at the slightest hint of world trouble. For example, Nigeria (they add 188,000bbl/day to the market) are threatening to stop all production unless Exxon and a few other companies pay them $100,000,000 in some bogus fees. Obviously, Iran. Venezuala is always aproblem also because Chavez is not known for playing ball and he changes his mind all the time.

Speculation has added about $30/barrel as of Friday. If oil was solely traded on supply/demand, the per barrel cost of oil would be about $45 right now and fuel would be at about $1.55/gallon.

There is so much wrapped up in the price of fuel as to what is causing the hike that there is a lot of wrong information going around. Blaming the oil company, while convienient, is not accurate.

And just for the reccord, I never saw anyone here complaining about the low cost of fuel while Exxon/Mobile was going ass-deep into debt, laying off workers, and operating with little or no budget just a few years ago. Even now, look at their NET profits, not their GROSS, look at the ammount of money they are putting back into development and acquiring additional reserves/exploration. This is all in the name of providing affordable oil later down the line.

This idea that has been swarming around the net about not buying fuel, starting price-wars, etc, is not realistic because when the price drops, demand goes right back to past levels, and we are right back where we started. The answer is getting more refining capacity, and more domestic sources of oil on-line. That way the speculators cannot continue to price oil this high. THEY are the ones that are screwing you and me.

There is an estimated 1.1trillion barrels of oil in the form of oil shale under Colorado, Utah, N. Mexico. To put that into perspective, at current rates of consumption, it would take the United States about 300 years to use it all. Add to that the estimated 15 to 50 billion barrels of oil in Alaska, and the 20-30 billion off the California coast, and we could be totally self sufficient if we allowed ourselves to be. the answer here is to get domestic oil on the market.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
jacobyb said:

Exxon/Mobil does not control the price of fuel except for a few cents (literally 2 or 3 cents) per gallon. With this last cash infusion, they've paid off debt and plowed money into development and acquiring additional reserves. At least, that's what the free market oil companies have done.

Exxon/Mobil only controls 3% of the worlds oil. They are not causing the price hike. Refineries are mostly owned by the oil companies.

The cost of a barrel of oil is decided by a few things. The cost of extraction is first and foremost. Second is shipping. Then there are speculators. And finally the classic supply/demand. At the moment, there is enough supply of oil. However, we are 25% below our refining needs. This is due to the environmental lobby not allowing new refineries, and also due to last years hurricanes.

The speculators are the main culprets. They panic at the slightest hint of world trouble. For example, Nigeria (they add 188,000bbl/day to the market) are threatening to stop all production unless Exxon and a few other companies pay them $100,000,000 in some bogus fees. Obviously, Iran. Venezuala is always aproblem also because Chavez is not known for playing ball and he changes his mind all the time.

Speculation has added about $30/barrel as of Friday. If oil was solely traded on supply/demand, the per barrel cost of oil would be about $45 right now and fuel would be at about $1.55/gallon.

There is so much wrapped up in the price of fuel as to what is causing the hike that there is a lot of wrong information going around. Blaming the oil company, while convienient, is not accurate.

And just for the reccord, I never saw anyone here complaining about the low cost of fuel while Exxon/Mobile was going ass-deep into debt, laying off workers, and operating with little or no budget just a few years ago. Even now, look at their NET profits, not their GROSS, look at the ammount of money they are putting back into development and acquiring additional reserves/exploration. This is all in the name of providing affordable oil later down the line.

This idea that has been swarming around the net about not buying fuel, starting price-wars, etc, is not realistic because when the price drops, demand goes right back to past levels, and we are right back where we started. The answer is getting more refining capacity, and more domestic sources of oil on-line. That way the speculators cannot continue to price oil this high. THEY are the ones that are screwing you and me.

There is an estimated 1.1trillion barrels of oil in the form of oil shale under Colorado, Utah, N. Mexico. To put that into perspective, at current rates of consumption, it would take the United States about 300 years to use it all. Add to that the estimated 15 to 50 billion barrels of oil in Alaska, and the 20-30 billion off the California coast, and we could be totally self sufficient if we allowed ourselves to be. the answer here is to get domestic oil on the market.
:agree

Excellent information.

The refining and oil drilling problems won't go away until the wacko enviromentalists are left behind to rot.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I wonder how Exxon passed Wal-Mart on being the most profitable company ????????????????????????????????????????? Is it just me or does something smell Bushy, I mean Fishy.........

·
Registered
72 Posts
jacobyb said:

Amen Brother.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
jacobyb said:

The speculators are the main culprits. They panic at the slightest hint of world trouble.
Replace "panic" with "EXPLOIT" and you would be closer to the truth. And they are allowed to do so.

jacobyb said:
Blaming the oil company, while convienient, is not accurate.
You are quite correct. It's a combination of greedy oil companies, sleazy western politicians, completely souless energy traders (speculators), corrupt middle eastern governments, primitive middle eastern societies, and a bunch of apathetic junkies (us) that they all know they can depend on.

jacobyb said:
And just for the reccord, I never saw anyone here complaining about the low cost of fuel while Exxon/Mobile was going ass-deep into debt, laying off workers, and operating with little or no budget just a few years ago. Even now, look at their NET profits, not their GROSS, look at the ammount of money they are putting back into development and acquiring additional reserves/exploration.
Oh puhhhlease. Net profits don't mean $hit. Tax loss carry forward, federal bonus depreciation @ 30% - 50% (in 2004) creating hugely accelerated capital cost recognition to burn off that pesky bottom line so one doesn't have to pay taxes. Then we can delve into the "special charges" in their 10Q's or 10K's for "restructuring" which can mean layoff's or almost anything those creative finance guys can come up with to, you guessed it, avoid paying taxes.

Personally, I would look at EBITDA before one time charges as a somewhat clean proxy of the real cash these goobers are stashing away right now from ongoing operations. Their real profits are much much higher than what you can see. Go to EDGAR online (SEC database) and pull their last 4 10Q's and the 10K for 2005 when available.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts