Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there's a million ways under the sun to leave people speechless when you lift up the hood on your classic Poncho... Some go the concourse look, others like blinding amounts of chrome. Whatever your preference, it's hard not to make a Pontiac engine look bad. So I'd like to see pictures of how you went about making your power plant stand out among the crowd. As for me, I'm still putting things together but I went with a K&N X-Stream Air Filter and a set of black wrinkle finish aluminum Pontiac Logo valve covers. I am pretty darn happy with how the combo looks, and I plan on keeping the color scheme going with a black HEI cap and wires, black pulleys, and standard rubber hoses. I also painted my dipstick black just to look a little bit different. All together I think it will look quite sinister and awesome.

So show me what you did with your engine!

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) with an Edelbrock performer intake for now. She works pretty well but in the past whenever temps got below 40 at night she was a real pain to get started. Might have to put a manual choke on it. I have a quadrajet sitting on my shelf from a 79 TA that I am either going to attempt to rebuild or send to Cliff when I can afford it. Eventually I will bolt that to a stock Pontiac Intake and throw it on. And I'm running headers. If you look at my build thread I have pictures of my exhaust system all cleaned and painted up.

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
After it was torn apart inspected cleaned inside and out and put back. Was still not ready yet when the pics were taken.....

Eastwood Ceramic paint, parts cleared and powder coated

Carb was rebuilt after this step, R/A manifolds installed, the Fram filter was a sacrificial one.

P1020165.JPG P1020166.JPG

P1020167.JPG

·
Registered
711 Posts
After it was torn apart inspected cleaned inside and out and put back. Was still not ready yet when the pics were taken.....

Eastwood Ceramic paint, parts cleared and powder coated

Carb was rebuilt after this step, R/A manifolds installed, the Fram filter was a sacrificial one.

View attachment 33769 View attachment 33777

View attachment 33785
THAT to me, is what it should look like. No offense the the OP, but these were good looking right out of the factory and any "upgrade" is lost on me.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone has their own personal preference but I think anyone would be hard pressed to argue that alkys engine is anything but mind-blowingly awesome. And yes I do like the stock look. But I also like to stand out a little. Sure, purists would disagree, but I get more satisfaction knowing that my engine looks different than most. Plus dressing up your engine easily adds an additional 50hp!!! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts