Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I received a letter from Pontiac today concerning the gas cap.
If the cap goes bad, it will be covered for 10 years or 120,000 miles,
and repaired free of charge.
You may also get a reimbursement, if you have already replaced it
yourself.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Hi,

I received a letter from Pontiac today concerning the gas cap.
If the cap goes bad, it will be covered for 10 years or 120,000 miles,
and repaired free of charge.
You may also get a reimbursement, if you have already replaced it
yourself.

I RECEIVED MINE ON TUESDAY. SAME ISSUES AS THE 04s

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
The Gas Cap extension warranty has been added to the 05' Model Year. I received my notice on Friday the 22nd. As far as 06', stay tuned.

Anyone having a used 04-06 purchased from a non GM Dealer, it may be in your best interest to make sure GM knows you are the owner of that VIN. If GM doesn't know, you may be missing out on updates. Notify a Pontiac dealer and inquire about getting your VIN registered or call GM and go through the necessary steps to get your name on the books as the owner of your VIN.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No letter here.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I received the letter on Saturday for my 2005. To this day, I have not had any issues with the gas cap or any associated problems.

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
I had one incident with mine a few months back. The Check Engine light came on. I checked the cap and found it was just sitting on the rim it would not secure. I played with the ratcheting action and got it to work. I then removed the cap and attempted to secure it and it didn't. The dealer put a new cap on and reset the computer. No problems since.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I got my letter this weekend as well for my 05. I never had a check engine light but I know you couldn't tighten the thing, especially after i drove through New Jersey and couldn't pump my own gas. I took the letter to the dealer Monday and he had a new cap for me that afternoon. I tightens better than the the old ever thought of tightening and it looks identical to the original.

Funny thing is, I knew my gas cap wasn't working right and actually tried to buy one on Saturday morning and the autoparts store didn't have one. Then I checked my mail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts