Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tomorrow I want to put the lifters in,the service manual says to put heavy oil on the bottoms of them.
they are soaking, and since it's going to be months yet before im ready to start it, is it okay to put greese on the bottoms of the lifters?
thanks as always

·
Registered
475 Posts
tomorrow I want to put the lifters in,the service manual says to put heavy oil on the bottoms of them.
they are soaking, and since it's going to be months yet before im ready to start it, is it okay to put greese on the bottoms of the lifters?
thanks as always
yes. i do and i have never had a cam problem.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Rather than some "generic" grease, use a moly-graphite assembly lube. It's a dark gray "paste" and stays on the lifters for a LONG time (years).

Jim

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Yes. Do NOT use "white lithium" grease. Over time, It turns into cement. I've seen one ongine that was overhauled and "put up" (for years, though), and it siezed up during it's storage. The differential thrust washers in my '15 Ford were "prepped" with white lithium grease and the car was stored for years. I bought it, and when I got it on the road, promptly had a rear thrust bearing failure. I still have the bearing...it's like it's caked in concrete. Cam lube is your friend!

·
Registered
711 Posts
As an aside... When you're ready to fire her up, make sure to use an oil high in ZDDP (a zinc additive) to do your cam break-in. I used Rotela on my last one. ZDDP and a proper break-in on your cam and you should be worry free!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts