Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I indeed need to soak my new lifters in oil prior to installation? Seems like it would all just be pushed out and dilute my cams graphite greese.
thanks as always
Tk

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Others will say no, but I always do. And I take a pushrod and pump the air out of the lifters while they're submerged, too. Oil in the engine is going to get all over that cam lube, anyway. Whatever you do, when you start it up, have a box fan in front of the car and a fire extinguisher. You want to light it off and run it at about 2000 rpm for a solid 20-30 minutes without stopping. Don't let it idle.

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
:agree: Listen to the man. Also make sure you use a top quality break-in oil. Brad Penn makes a good one - there are others also - ZDDP content is very important.

After the break-in, change the oil and the filter. If you want to be "paranoid" about it, cut the filter open and carefully examine for any sign of metal fragments. Be aware though that most assembly lubes have a high moybdenum content that can scare you because it looks sort of like a metallic sludge in the filter and in the bottom of the pan at the first oil change. Presence or absence of obvious shiny fragments is the key.

Bear

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
should I put graphite greese on the bottom of the lifters?
thanks again and rock on
Tk

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
Yep - the first few minutes of running on a new cam/lifters are the most critical and when most of the wear will occur, so having good lube is important.

Bear

1 - 5 of 5 Posts