Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ordered the Lingenfelter CAI last week on-line, but have not heard a word yet regarding shipping. I think they make the best GM performance products and thats why I ordered it. I personally don't care about a chrome looking pipe, although from a performance standpoint, the rubber/plastic intake pipe would be better insulated from heat. I just hope I don't regret buying it if/when a cool ram-air system using the stock hood scoops becomes available. :cheers

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not so true you need to read more about things before you make a judgement. Besides when i was searching for a rear end gear, lfp price on the same rear end gear from the same company was over a hundred dollers more plus the cost of shipping so lets see why do you think that was!
Think about it, same rear end gear same manufacturer but one hundred plus more. I dont think so.
On the issue of heat soak read about the gravanna its insolated to protect against.
Any cai will get some heat soak of some sort
your stock intake is a form of a plastic resant and it gets hot as hell
so stud do what you want but research first so you spend your coin wisely get the best hp for your dollar......

·
Registered
12 Posts
KERLS04 said:
Not so true you need to read more about things before you make a judgement. Besides when i was searching for a rear end gear, lfp price on the same rear end gear from the same company was over a hundred dollers more plus the cost of shipping so lets see why do you think that was!
Think about it, same rear end gear same manufacturer but one hundred plus more. I dont think so.
On the issue of heat soak read about the gravanna its insolated to protect against.
so stud do what you want but research first so you spend your coin wisely get the best hp for your dollar......
Hey "stud", I was not replying to you. I was replying to BigDog and he asked for opinions on the LFP CAI versus others. Just giving my opinion. Of course all CAI get hot on the outside, its the air inside that matters. Think about it. Besides, a cold air intake is not rocket science. It consists of an air filter which allows for a greater flow rate of air into the engine versus the stock paper filter plus some means of drawing in air from outside the engine compartment. So as long as the cai achieves those two goals, it doesn't matter which brand you choose. The LFP cai was $239, which is right around what I have seen other brands selling for in the past. However, a re-tune may be necessary for the MAF to optimize the fuel flow along with the increased air flow.

·
Registered
143 Posts
KERLS04 said:
I hate to bash here but with your run-on sentences and lack of punctuation I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Is it so hard to type in adult English? Or are you 13 years old and in an AOL teen chatroom as your reply suggests. What the hell is "resant"???? You've given only one possible example of supposedly higher pricing but you infer that everything LFP sells is higher priced. If necessary I can explain what infer means.

That being said, a substantial difference in price is almost always due to something siginificant, and not just one company making more money than another. Is price the ONLY reason you buy a product from one place over another? A mentality like that will eventually cause Wal Mart to be the only place left to buy anything, and I think no one here wants that. Discount pricing = no service. I'm in sales, and daily I educate people that I know are going home to buy (from the internet) the products they've seen and learned about in my store. I get my revenge when they call me and ask how to get their new stuff set up. I tell them "call internet, he can help you, right?"

OK enough of my rant, thanks for listening and allowing me to vent!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Alright there Albert Einstein I guess your probably saleman of the year but, L performance has good stuff. Like there head swaps and porting of stock throttle bodies but, the bottom line is your still paying more to buy stuff through the middleman which is dumb. Might as well give the money away. As far as being thirteen I'm a little older than that. I even took a little time to please you by using some english skills.
? Mr. sales guy do you know what PSS Skills are or even IMS skills are from a professional sales point of view. If you did you would be alot more sucessful. Check yourself before you wreck yourself.......

A VENT RIGHT BACK AT YOU WITH SOME USEFUL INFO ON HEAD SWAPS
One last thing spelling don't make your car faster.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the Lingenfelter CAI on my 04 M6. I bought it for the following reasons. It seems to do a good job of isolating the filter from engine heat (plastic partition vs. metal with good seals that butt up against the hood padding when closed). The MAF to TB connector is less heat absorbing than the stock plastic or metal tube. The temp sensor is relocated into the filter and away from the location immediately adjacent to the radiator. This last item (relocating the temp sensor) is a typical change for C5s which I previously owned and know it works. And, lastly, Lingenfelter does a pretty good job with modd'ng cars and rarely uses something that does not work well. Folks may disagree but this is why I got the LPE. The combination with the CORSA Sport is quite noticable and others have dyno'd this combination showing legitimate 15+ hp at the wheels and significantly improved across the power band. ( need to change my sig as I show Borla there.....).

·
Registered
937 Posts
GTOFan said:
I ordered the Lingenfelter CAI last week on-line, but have not heard a word yet regarding shipping. I think they make the best GM performance products and thats why I ordered it. I personally don't care about a chrome looking pipe, although from a performance standpoint, the rubber/plastic intake pipe would be better insulated from heat. I just hope I don't regret buying it if/when a cool ram-air system using the stock hood scoops becomes available. :cheers
Have you installed your Lingenfelter yet on your 05? If yes, what do you think? Is it worth the $240?? Are you happy?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi I just installed the lingenfelter air intake last night (about 1 hour to install) It looks good, the install went well. I feel it's worth the money.Also peace of mine Lingenfelter will be around long after the discount speed shop is gone... :willy:

·
Registered
937 Posts
my first gto said:
Hi I just installed the lingenfelter air intake last night (about 1 hour to install) It looks good, the install went well. I feel it's worth the money.Also peace of mine Lingenfelter will be around long after the discount speed shop is gone... :willy:
How does it sound?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I considered buying the LPE CAI, but after talking to GTODEALER I went with the new K&N CAI. I believe the plastic will prevent more heat soak than the metal and isn't LPE using that "accordian" (sp.) style piece with the metal tube? I like the smooth one piece tube style of the K&N. :cheers

·
Registered
81 Posts
Would anyone recommend a new exhaust or a cai system first?

·
Registered
937 Posts
gameover said:
I considered buying the LPE CAI, but after talking to GTODEALER I went with the new K&N CAI. I believe the plastic will prevent more heat soak than the metal and isn't LPE using that "accordian" (sp.) style piece with the metal tube? I like the smooth one piece tube style of the K&N. :cheers
This looks like black plastic to me, and yes there is the accordian flex point in the tube. Somethings going to have to flex when the engine rocks. GTODEALER said the other intakes were actually causing a horsepower loss, except the Lingenfelter. I like the way this one seals the intake off from the rest of the engine bay, should keep the hot air out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
holden, I would recommend bolfth, starting with the exhaust personally.

My rational for exhaust first is you get some hp and it sounds a butt load better than the intake would.

you might see better milage by doin cai first.

it's all about preference...

afterall, "We are the music makers" :cool

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
This looks like black plastic to me, and yes there is the accordian flex point in the tube. Somethings going to have to flex when the engine rocks. GTODEALER said the other intakes were actually causing a horsepower loss, except the Lingenfelter. I like the way this one seals the intake off from the rest of the engine bay, should keep the hot air out.

I miss spoke, the K&N hasn't been tested yet (real world), the K&N seals the same way, as a matter of fact it looks the same without the accordian. :cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Lingenfelter is easy to install and gives a good air intake sound. I am waiting to combine it with the Corsa when it is ready. Hey "My first GTO" what are you keeping track of with your POD? Also did you install a new Unit to get XM? If so which one. Thank you. I won't get into the debate above.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I heard that the LS2 had fairly restrictive headers, if i were to replace the exhaust i would probably try and raplace the headers at the same time, unless anyone has any more info on that?
Having anything on my car that bears the marque of ligenfelter is very tempting. Has anyone tried that brace that they sell? I hanvt seen any reviews on it but i do want to know how much it firms up the ride.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts