Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Im about to do a Trans fluid change but I just cant find any of the trans fluids you reccomend. I know Im supposed to order Dexron 3 ATF but what type is best and from where? I can only find Dex 4 and 6 online and when I go to a parts store all I can find is that Valvoline MAXLIFE stuff which I doubt I can put into my T56.
For reference:
2006 GTO
6MT T56
100,800 Miles
Can you guys provide links to what I should get and where to order from?

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,230 Posts
DEX 3 ATF is DEX 3 ATF

Only variation would be from additive packages, and you likely dont want any additives anyway. Keeping your oil clean and cool is what's important, no matter where it's getting put!

As for Valvoline Max Life, it's an awesome product if it's what your vehicle calls for.

At the end of the day, a T56 calls for Dex 3, so put Dex 3 in it.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Dex 3 will never be discontinued.

You have a better chance of them discontinuing white bread
Well, the tree huggers and health nuts discontinued white bread in an announcement today on NPR. You can only purchase grain bread variants for sandwich breads or multi grain breads. An appeal by the Wheat Growers of America has petitioned the President's Executive Order, but the response from the White House Press Secretary was quoted as, "Let them eat cake."

GM terminated all licensing for the production of Dexron III in 2006. The company advised GM vehicle owners that any other manufacturer's claims made of compatibility past 2006 without official GM endorsement would be inaccurate. GM informed the public that the only fluid compatible with Dexron III was the replacement Dexron VI. The automaker then authorized licensing of Dexron VI; GM publishes a list of companies and product names that comply with its specifications for the fluid.

General Motors (GM) produced the Dexron line of automatic transmission fluids beginning in the 1940s. GM improved upon the original lubricant and upgraded through multiple stages including Dexron II and Dexron III. Dexron III (H) and Dexron III/Saturn are upgrades to Dexron III fluids, and Dexron VI became the official replacement to Dexron III.

Dexron VI works in any vehicle that requires ATF-A (the original automatic transmission fluid) or a Dexron variation. Moreover, you cannot use an ATF, Mercron or earlier variations of the Dexron series in vehicles calling for Dexron III.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,230 Posts
They're all the rage. People on Facebook, who ran out of original ideas, are desperate... Which explains the shit cookies that my girlfriend made last night.

And don't get caught drinking chock full of nuts either. Now you have to bring your beans to Africa and have them travel through the digestive tract of a mountain cat, then you have to bring them home roast them and grind them yourself, otherwise you'll get laughed off social media.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts