Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a Blue/Blue 6 Speed and have found several but there all more than 3 hours away. I've been working with a local dealer who desperately wants to put me in a Yellow 6 Speed. He says he can't get me one of the Blues from another dealer without adding a significant amount to the deal.
I would just go up to the the dealer that has one but I'm afraid they won't get me the same deal or they'll want to dick me on my trade even harder than my local guy ($15,000/05 Civic Si/9000 miles)) and I will have to take it or accept that I wasted 6 hours od gas and mileage on my trade for nothing.
Did any of you guys have your GTO brought in from another dealer?? If so, did it affect the deal any?

Thanks!

Danny
:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
If you are ready to buy NOW. Just give them a call, tell them what you want to pay for it, and that you'll pick it up today, or tomorrow if they agree to that price.

They will say yes, or no. And I doubt all three will say NO. Especially if you call them on a RAINY day!! :cheers :cheers
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,433 Posts
R1DannyZX said:
I'm looking for a Blue/Blue 6 Speed and have found several but there all more than 3 hours away. I've been working with a local dealer who desperately wants to put me in a Yellow 6 Speed. He says he can't get me one of the Blues from another dealer without adding a significant amount to the deal.
I would just go up to the the dealer that has one but I'm afraid they won't get me the same deal or they'll want to dick me on my trade even harder than my local guy ($15,000/05 Civic Si/9000 miles)) and I will have to take it or accept that I wasted 6 hours od gas and mileage on my trade for nothing.
Did any of you guys have your GTO brought in from another dealer?? If so, did it affect the deal any?

Thanks!

Danny
:rolleyes:
Hi Danny.... don't know how your dealers to business there, but around here, IF the car you want is within a certain distance they can swap it out at NO cost to you.

What happened to me was, after waiting nearly 5 months for my order as it sat on the docks in California for 3 months held up by customs, I told my dealer to find me another because GM could not guarantee when it would be delivered, at that time in May I was told it could go in to August, or September, or longer, so I told my dealer to find me another, I wasn't going to wait 9 months....so, my dealer attempted to find me one like I ordered.

To make a long story short, I found one 4 hours away, but my local dealer would not swap with that dealer because according to my dealer... it was not cost effective for them to do that so they found one only 90 mins away. That dealer was willing to do a trade for another GTO, but my local dealer didn't have any GTO's to swap for. That dealer would not swap for anything other than a different GTO.

I was told then by my local dealer whom I placed the original order with, they came up empty. I called the dealer 90 mins away, and told them I was after the one they had, and if they could equal the deal my local dealer gave me, I'd be up to get it. They agreed, and I purchased that one, then canceled the original one. Needless to say the dealer who I placed the original order with was not happy, but it was GM's ordering, shipping process that cost them the sale. My patience ran out after 5 months of waiting. I was originally told 4-5 months after placed order. I expected to wait 5 months, not 8,9, or longer.

I would think that if there is another GTO within an hour or 2, your dealer should and could do a swap. If they won't, and you want a specific color choice, I would go get it. I did, and am glad I did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Danny,

I am also currently in the process of shopping for my Goat. I'm hunting down the car myself, luckily there are enough dealerships in the LA area that I've been able to find the car I want at multiple locations. I admit, It helps that I've just sold my car privately and have my cash in hand. Ultimately it comes down to who really wants your business. It wouldn't hurt you to call other dealerships in your greater area and explain to them exactly the sort of deal you have from your current local dealer. If one dealer is willing to give you that deal, there is a chance that another will be willing as well (or at least come close to it). Stay the course, stay focused, and keep working at it. You'll meet with success before you know it.

As a personal note, about 10 years ago I was looking for a specific car with a specific engine. I ultimately settled for a yellow version of the car since that is what the dealer had on the lot, and that is what he wanted to sell and gave the best deal on. While I always enjoyed driving the car, I ultimately regretting settling for a color I didn't really want. I personally think that it is worth your time, effort, and even a few dollars to make sure you get exactly what you want. These cars aren't exactly cheap, you might as well get what you want for your money.

Best of luck to you Danny, let us know how the search goes!

Peace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
I went to my local Pontiac dealership on a Monday night and told them what I wanted. They looked in the computer and told me they'd get back to me the next morning. They called and said there was one exactly like what I wanted, at a dealership they usually did business with and did I want it transferred to their store? I said yes.
On Friday night, they called to tell me to ask if I could be at the dealership on Sat. morning? My GTO was in at no extra cost.
Defining factors for them were:
- their relationship with the other dealership
- they had a car trailer traveling through the area that had an extra spot on it
No problem for me whatsoever!
Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Danny,

I have to agree with the other posts - if your dealer wants to sell you a car they will do whatever it takes to sell it. I had a transaction with a dealer that didn't have the vehicle my wife wanted. They had the truck just not the color she wanted. I told the dealer we wouldn't take the truck and could they get us the truck she wanted in the color she wanted. By the end of the next day they had the vehicle at the dealership waiting for us. You have to remember you are the consumer - don't let them dictate what you are going to buy. Go on line and get a quote from a few other dealers and tell them the deal you are getting from the original dealer - they may just match it. Then take the paperwork in and show it to them. If they don't budge it probably isn't a dealer you want to do bussiness with. You can also try going over the salesmans head to the sales manager - that's what ended up happening with my deal. The salesman still got credit for the sale, just the sales manager took it over to make the trade. Stick to your guns and make the deal you want - not what they want you to buy. :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Danny-

I was in the same situation back in May. I am from Omaha, and wanted a Blue/blue M6. Low and behold, I contacted the dealer, wired the money...and went down to pick it up a few weeks later!

They are willing to work with you! (Or should be!)

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Sell your trade and make the deal on the GTO in the other city over the phone. I've bought cars that way before. I had a list of 20 pontiac dealers last year to call. The first one put me $100 away from the deal I wanted. Deal done.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
119 Posts
Go on the NEt and look around a bit.I am sure you should get a GTO close to invoice....Look a little harder,,,,Wait till the last day of the month and a few hours before they are closing and i am sure you will get a great deallll.JohnnyT :willy:
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top