Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 72 cranks for a long time to start after sitting for a week,. I know this is a common issue with the fuel evaporating and the bowls are dry.
Once the car is started - it will re-start hot of cold immediately.... for a few days.... I just dont drive it daily.

I was wondering how does anyone else with this issue deal with it? Do you just crank it a few times for a few seconds?
Small squirt bottle with gas, fill up the bowl first ?
Electric fuel pump?

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Same issue with me, though generally longer than a week. I just crank it for 4-5 seconds, then pump the pedal twice and it fires right up

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
My 72 cranks for a long time to start after sitting for a week,. I know this is a common issue with the fuel evaporating and the bowls are dry.
Once the car is started - it will re-start hot of cold immediately.... for a few days.... I just dont drive it daily.

I was wondering how does anyone else with this issue deal with it? Do you just crank it a few times for a few seconds?
Electric fuel pump?

Thanks!
Electic fuel pump back at the tank seems to be the best solution assuming no cracked rubber lines sucking air, dirty fuel filter, problem with a fuel line, etc..

Ethanol in the gas is the problem. The gas will evaporate when sitting long periods. Common problem. My brother added the electric fuel pump to 2 of his older cars and it solved the issue as well as hot start issues. You don't need a huge killer pump and you want to keep your factory fuel pump to act as a regulator.

If you do a search of th forums you will find other answers/ideas as this has been covered several times.

·
Registered
653 Posts
X2 on the part time electric pusher pump. This works if your accelerator pump will squirt gas. If not, you'll need to pour or squirt a little gas into the primaries, by hand. My last bracket car had a RobbMc mechanical pump, only. So, when cold, I poured in a little gas from a small plastic bottle.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys...
Going to try the squirt bottle with gas first, ifs thats a PIA, then the electric pump near the tank.

On a previous car I had an electric pump and a pre -oiler. Was like having a preflight check list.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Electric fuel pump?
Install An electric pump, hook it up to your key, if it's sits a while Turin the key on for a few second then crank her up.. ofcourse, you will want a filter before the pump, and use a relay, and perhaps a return line and a regulator.. it don't sound to simple now..
There are pumps that don't require a return line..or regulator but I would use a relay....

·
Registered
907 Posts
I dont know about an electric pump and the mechanical pump hooked up in tandem...

here is my experience ....

1988-89 ..... early summer.... girlfriend has 81 Z-28 with a warmed up 350 th350 t top last of the cool body style...

615 am ,,, her car is under the carport in front of the house and time to go to work.... I am lockin up the house

to leave also ...

I hear her crank it over and BOOOOOOOM !!!!!!! house windows shook ...my horns honkin on my 68 gto alarm is goin off..

sounded like a quarter stick of dyno just went off !!

I whip the front door open and look towards the carport.... I see the neighbor stoner kid flyin out his open bedroom window and rollin into the front yard in his undies .... yellin WTF !!!

my girlfriends sittin in the car with smoke rollin out from under the hood ... by the windshield and fender gaps and under the car
I have to peel her hands off the wheel ....

ran to the kitchen for a fire extinguisher .... as shes just screaming in the front yard with the neighbor

by now his parents are outside as we all left for work around the same time..

I pop the hood ... NO FIRE .. but 1 morroso valve cover is layin on the inner fender totally ripped off the engine
and the other has 2 T bolts
bearly holdin it on .... WTF ???

well the electric pump blew a hole in the diafram in the mechanical pump and pumped fuel into the crank case

with the mallory ignition and sittin overnite and the fumes building up .... it blew the valve covers off when she tried

starting it

timing cover was all swollen and the oil pan too .... had to pull the motor .... swap the m out too

I still have one of the heavy steel wide valve cover bolt spreader bars ,,, on a key chain bent up at a mild V shape

so .............

I dont think I will ever do it ... have both electric and manual together....

but ..............

Scott

just my .02 sense worth

·
Registered
169 Posts
Electric fuel pumps are also noisy. I have one on a non Pontiac vehicle. How is your choke working?? On my '71 GTO, I converted the choke to electrical and the motor does start better after sitting a while. I was experiencing some problems similar to yours. If you do install an electric pump, do you plan on keeping it on continuously or just when you want to start the car after sitting a while?? If you do use it just for starting, in addition to possibly putting it on a relay, wouldn't you also have to install a toggle switch to control on and off??

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I dont know about an electric pump and the mechanical pump hooked up in tandem...

here is my experience ....

1988-89 ..... early summer.... girlfriend has 81 Z-28 with a warmed up 350 th350 t top last of the cool body style...

615 am ,,, her car is under the carport in front of the house and time to go to work.... I am lockin up the house

to leave also ...

I hear her crank it over and BOOOOOOOM !!!!!!! house windows shook ...my horns honkin on my 68 gto alarm is goin off..

sounded like a quarter stick of dyno just went off !!

I whip the front door open and look towards the carport.... I see the neighbor stoner kid flyin out his open bedroom window and rollin into the front yard in his undies .... yellin WTF !!!

my girlfriends sittin in the car with smoke rollin out from under the hood ... by the windshield and fender gaps and under the car
I have to peel her hands off the wheel ....

ran to the kitchen for a fire extinguisher .... as shes just screaming in the front yard with the neighbor

by now his parents are outside as we all left for work around the same time..

I pop the hood ... NO FIRE .. but 1 morroso valve cover is layin on the inner fender totally ripped off the engine
and the other has 2 T bolts
bearly holdin it on .... WTF ???

well the electric pump blew a hole in the diafram in the mechanical pump and pumped fuel into the crank case

with the mallory ignition and sittin overnite and the fumes building up .... it blew the valve covers off when she tried

starting it

timing cover was all swollen and the oil pan too .... had to pull the motor .... swap the m out too

I still have one of the heavy steel wide valve cover bolt spreader bars ,,, on a key chain bent up at a mild V shape

so .............

I dont think I will ever do it ... have both electric and manual together....

but ..............

Scott

just my .02 sense worth
Interesting story and gave me a few things to think about. I did a little web researching and put this together: https://www.gtoforum.com/f178/electric-fuel-pump-133157/

·
Registered
44 Posts
Electric fuel pumps are also noisy. I have one on a non Pontiac vehicle. How is your choke working?? On my '71 GTO, I converted the choke to electrical and the motor does start better after sitting a while. I was experiencing some problems similar to yours. If you do install an electric pump, do you plan on keeping it on continuously or just when you want to start the car after sitting a while?? If you do use it just for starting, in addition to possibly putting it on a relay, wouldn't you also have to install a toggle switch to control on and off??
I run a Hollley blue pump on my vette and a red pump on my tempest.. they are not silent but quiet, if you think its noisy, chances are it needs servicing.. I am sure other brands may be louder than others.. but overall if you can hear the pump when your car is at idle, rebuild or replace..

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had the same issue with my 67. Original intake manifold, Edelbrock carb. If it sits more than a couple days I have to pump the snot out of it to get er started. Then it starts right up hot or cold no problem. Took 11th Indian advise and just crank it 3-4 seconds, pump it 2 times and it fires right up.
What I don't get is that I am working on a 67 Firebird that has a 350 motor Edelbrock intake, Edelbrock carb and it can sit for 2 weeks, I pump it 2 times and it starts right up.

So on the GTO I clamped off the fuel line right b4 the carb, let it sit for a few days, and it still had the same starting issue. I wanted to rule out fuel leaving the bowls via fuel line. Hmmmmm. I don't get it. Why one car performs so differently than the other

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I have had the same issue with my 67. Original intake manifold, Edelbrock carb. If it sits more than a couple days I have to pump the snot out of it to get er started. Then it starts right up hot or cold no problem. Took 11th Indian advise and just crank it 3-4 seconds, pump it 2 times and it fires right up.
What I don't get is that I am working on a 67 Firebird that has a 350 motor Edelbrock intake, Edelbrock carb and it can sit for 2 weeks, I pump it 2 times and it starts right up.

So on the GTO I clamped off the fuel line right b4 the carb, let it sit for a few days, and it still had the same starting issue. I wanted to rule out fuel leaving the bowls via fuel line. Hmmmmm. I don't get it. Why one car performs so differently than the other
Could be the original cast iron intake and exhaust crossover under the carb versus the aluminum intake which dissipates heat much better. You know that the '67 intake was unique to that year and has a heat channel that goes directly under the carb? You have to make sure you use the correct gaskets - or you will have problem.

I included a picture of the '67 intake with the heat channel that goes directly under the carb versus the '68 and up intake which eliminated this.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Confirmed the carb seems dry. Let the car sit 7 days. Used a small squeeze bottle and poured about an once of gas in the float bowl. Started immediately. Sat over night and started right away for the last few days. Simple process, but it will get old fast.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Confirmed the carb seems dry. Let the car sit 7 days. Used a small squeeze bottle and poured about an once of gas in the float bowl. Started immediately. Sat over night and started right away for the last few days. Simple process, but it will get old fast.
Simple solution. Use your windshield washer fluid tank/pump. Fill the tank with gas and run a small diameter gas line from a weed whacker from the electric pump outlet to the top edge of the carb and clip it on with a clothes pin so as not to crush the line. Then when you are ready to fire up, hit the control button for the wiper washers to prime the carb and you are good to go.

Remember, there are no problems, only solutions - and all 'ya gotta do is ask. :lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jim, I could also use that same set up and run the tube to the my console next to the driver seat, and fill the reservoir with my favorite adult beverage. Your a genius!!!

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Jim, I could also use that same set up and run the tube to the my console next to the driver seat, and fill the reservoir with my favorite adult beverage. Your a genius!!!
Well, if we are going for adult beverages, I'd install a large AC condensor, you know, they look like a radiator. Set it out in front of the radiator so it gets a lot of cool air flow, and use it as the holding tank for my libations. On the inbound line to the condensor I would plumb a small O2 tank to pressurize the condensor with a few pounds of pressure. Then plumb another line out the outlet side to a drag race style cool can loaded with dry ice, then bring the line into my car under the console connected to a Seltzer water nozzle head connected atop the console with a cup holder and cup below. When you felt the desire for that adult beverage of choice, just press down on the Seltzer nozzle and let the pressurized, and cold, libations flow into your cup 'til it runneth over. Just expanding the idea 'cause your idea was OK, but who wants a warm adult beverage that chances on the 12-volt windshield washer motor made in China quitting on you just at the time of need? :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
I am glad you figured out the problem, but I am at a loss as to why your gas is evaporating after sitting for a week. As I mentioned previously, my tri power bowls still had fuel in them after sitting for quite a while.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts