Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the in's and out to making a long distance auto purchase. I'm in AZ and all the GTO bargains seem to be in the midwest or east. To complicate matters more I have a trade in. So, I can't just have the new car shipped to me. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
To alleviate the risk of buying sight unseen, find a local appraiser to view the car first -- or simply fly in and drive home.

If new, by the time you get done paying for an appraisal and travel/shipping -- you'll be even money at best.

If used, then take your time, sell your car, get approved for a loan, then go shopping.

Usually, the market for autos is pretty even throughout the country. California can be a little pricey, though, because nobody out here knows how to buy them -- allowing the dealer to ask ridiculous prices because they know that, sooner or later, some chump is going to bite.

Bottom line? If you're shopping long distance (defined as too far for you to drive) for a readily available car because of price -- you probably can't afford it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
b_a_betterperson summed things up pretty well.

Just to add a few more thoughts though, if you were planning on taking a vacation in the NE or wherever you are looking at a GTO, then perhaps you can combine a purchase with a vacation, then drive the car back. That way, you can negate some of the additional costs in that you were going to be going that way anyway. Example: you have family in Maine and were planning on visiting them this summer. Of course, then you have to get the car home. Shipping would cost enough that you wouldn't save any money, so that leaves driving it, and I do not know how a new engine reacts to extended hours of driving right off the bat.

One other thing, you might want to look at Texas. GTO prices aren't too terrible around here. I have not seen any dealer mark up beyond MSRP, and some people can get them below MSRP. Texas would be a lot more doable than the Northeast coast, I'd think.

What about other nearby states that are only one state away? (New Mexico etc).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Long distance purchase

I just bought my 05 GTO from a dealer in Jersey, I am up in Mass. It has been such a pain in dealing with these people. After getting the loan and the trade, I was owed 900 and change. They finally sent me that check, which is somewhat of a relief. The next thing I am waiting for is the correct paper work to get the car registered. They don't understand that in Mass. you have a week to transfer plates and that I did not need their 30 day tag. I told them over and over, yet a week has passed and now legally the car can't be on the road. No proper registration, insurance or sticker because of their lack of listening skills. Now, I have an old skylark that I have been driving in place, but if I did not have another vehicle look at the situation I would be. God forbid you get in an accident with an uninsured, unregistered vehice. All I can say is make sure you know your state laws and they understand your state laws, or you could end up being in a position like myslef. Other than that I am very happy with the GTO, when I could drive it, and on day 2 smoked a new GT on rt1 light to light by about 5 car lengths!!!!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I bought my GTO in January from a dealer in NorthEast. They were very motivated; they were also 450 miles away. They met me halfway with the car, and I save about $1500 over buying it locally in VA.

I don't know how you would handle a trade long distance. If they quoted you a price on your car, it would be contingent on their looking over your vehicle once you arrive. Putting myself at their mercy in that manner is a little too dicey for me.

Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.