Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Tread Auto part

Synthetic rubber Tire Tread Automotive tire Auto part

This is what my Front Left tire looked like. Just think if I had left it on for another 1000 miles.

Just replaced all 4 with 18x8, 245/40/18 inch tires. Now It still seems like it rubs, I get a light thumping sound intermittently, not when i going slow, goes away when I turn slightly but full turns you hear it again and also when I'm going straight.

Does that mean the strut is rubbing or is there another issue?

Please help me out.

feel free to send info to [email protected] or post here

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
hardball75006 said:
My stock 18's are 235 not 245. When I asked why they said the 245 would rub.
That may be the case with the stock wheels (or not, dunno)- but I have been running 18" 245 sized-tires for over 81k miles now.

Strut rub is typically a function of camber...too much negative camber will cause it. How much depends on your whee's offset. See if there is wear on the upper flange of the strut. This kind of wear will also occur with too much negative camber even without strut rub.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I"m taking it to pontiac friday to get it aligned. So the current knocking sound at speeds over 15mph and especially when i turn right is due the strut rubbing then, right? (this is with the new set of rims/tires on it) this is so frustrating.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
specialk said:
I"m taking it to pontiac friday to get it aligned. So the current knocking sound at speeds over 15mph and especially when i turn right is due the strut rubbing then, right? (this is with the new set of rims/tires on it) this is so frustrating.
Again- it could be a number of things....but I wouldn't take it to the plastic helmet brigade at the dealership, I'd take it to a local speed shop or performance tire place with experience in suspensions. At the very least you would get another opinion and ammunition for dealing with Mr. Dumb-As-a- Wrench...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.