·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 speed? automatic on the floor.
421 just rebuilt
fresh paint
interior is missing some pieces.

the car needs a few more parts installed to be running, which the owner has.
Hes a older gentleman and has given up on the car.

what should i ask him about?
how to i make sure it is not a clone?

what kind of brakes come stock on 67s?

im a previous c3 vette owner :rolleyes:
wanting something with a back seat :D

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
421 just rebuilt
fresh paint

what should i ask him about?
how to i make sure it is not a clone?

what kind of brakes come stock on 67s?

im a previous c3 vette owner :rolleyes:
wanting something with a back seat :D
Real GTO's have VIN's that begin with 242. There are many wb sites that explain how to decode the various Pontiac VIN and data tags, here's one.

There were two brake systems used in 67, 4-wheel drum, and optional front disc, rear drum.

If it really does have a 421, then it can't be the original engine. You can positively identify what it is using information from this site.

There are other sites with information too, and be aware that not all of them agree with each other especially when it comes to some of the more obscure cylinder head codes. It pays to check many sites to get a consensus, if you have doubts.

If it's an automatic and has the original tranny, then it will likely be a 3-speed Turbohydramatic 400. Very strong.

Bear

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
421 just rebuilt
fresh paint

If it just needs "a few" parts to be running, why did'nt he get it running so he could sell it for more. any non-running car, rebuilt engine or not is just that a non running car (lower price). why is he giving up? does he have receipts for the engine parts so you know it was built right and not just a freshen up. Check the trunk pan under the back window and if you can peal back the carpet and check the front floor pans for rust and or patches. these are the two weak spots in most of these cars, caused by leaky or rusted out window sill panels front and back. feel and look behind all lower body panels for patches and body work, they rust out where most old cars do, down low. Interior parts are all reproduced for the 66's, if its a four speed auto (overdrive) it has a newer trans in it, stock would be as Bear said a TH400. If the paint and body look good (most expensive part of resto to farm out) and you are mechanically inclined and can finish yourself could be a nice little project, wheres he at on price?

1966 Tempest pictures by instg8ter - Photobucket

Brian

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
You need to post up pics of the body, and give location so we can give you an honest eval of what we would pay. A solid body with a 428 that is in nice shape non running would be at around $5K IMO, more or less.. Non original motor or dealer installed? Pay the least you can...

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I was talking a barn find car, nice body with an unknown engine, just complete. Well, I didn't know the condition. It's a nicer looking car than I thought. OK, nice car, wrong engine. So, it's a complete car.. What are the miles, how does it run, is it 242 vin code? Why did he give up on the car? Really nice GTOs go for high $20Ks. So, if that is a great car that is just sitting, $10K - $15K would be good?? What does he want for IT??
I had 3 78s and a 77 Vette, so had my share of C-3s..
I paid $7500 for a 66 Cloan that looked good in pics, and ended up in pieces and is with the body man now. Motor was a junk 389, 400 in it now.. Condition dictates value, how much do you have to rebuild???

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
242 vin means gto as someone else stated, right?
I would hope it's a true gto.
Car does not have the new radiator installed so it can't really run, which I would want to install and ensure the car runs before buying.
He's in his mid 60s and has diabetes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we only talked for 6-7minutes, sounded like it need 200-300$ more to be running driving aswell as the radiator installed.

Can anyone tell what its missing from the engine bay picture?
ac?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
first off the grilles are Tempest/Lemans, so i would immediately question whether it is a true GTO and not a clone project....almost done, as you would'nt swap Tempest grilles onto a GTO. still does not mean it cant be a nice car (clone) just means you will pay a lot less than a true GTO. that would explain the 421 swap from a 326. can't zoom in to see engine, send a higher res pic so we can zoom. the gap on the front is busted grille . are there gto badges on the car? what does the tail panel (back lights look like) ? a gto in that shape motor not running, the resto and body done right i would say 10-15K i have seen some really nice restorations in the mid 20s and not selling. if its a Tempest/Lemans your probably in the 5-8 range same conditions applying. If he had it running it would be more, use that to your advantage.:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well ****... thats not a good sign, atleast you told me first before i traveled many states away to check it out.

ill call him again tomorrow, see if he can send me some more pictures aswell...

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
If the grilles were missing, Lemans grills are cheaper, so maybe. Looks like a Megashifter in there. It is a cool looking car and the 428 adds to it. But, was it drag raced and beat up, what else does it need? I would look at it even if it is a Lemans, just don't pay GTO price.. Again, where app. is the car, Northern/desert?? I ask because it could be a dead original body or it could be a bondo buggy. I would ask for alot of pictures before I drove to it. Ask TMP, and check out his A-body link. I looked at that car for him, I couldn't get up on it, but from the road and it looked really good.. It was in FL, but was an Iowa car..

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
we only talked for 6-7minutes, sounded like it need 200-300$ more to be running driving aswell as the radiator installed.

Can anyone tell what its missing from the engine bay picture?
ac?
A/C compressor is missing, that's what goes on the u-shaped bracket on the front passenger side of the engine. Also, that's not a GTO hood - no scoop. I supposed it's possible that this might be a GTO that's been wrecked in the front and has had the front clip replaced with Tempest/Lemans sheet metal, but I'd be wary. Ask the guy for the VIN.
However, even if it is "only" a Tempest/Lemans, if that's really a 421 as you said in your original post, or a 428 as others have written, this thing could be loads of fun as a sleeper. Just don't pay a GTO price for it. A lot depends on what matters to you personally.

Bear

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
well the thing is i would be paying 1500 more for this car, when i could buy this one... (link)
1967 GTO XXX
I wouldn't buy either one of them without a careful, personal inspection. Also, the one on Craigslist is advertised as a clone, whereas at this point it's at least possible that the first one is a real GTO (although I have my doubts). I'm not up to date on the market for these cars, but 12k for a clone with "only" a 400 seems high to me. I'd value it at 6k to 9k, and then only if it was complete, all systems working, and I'd personally verified it had no rust issues lurking under the paint.

Bear

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
that one is also a Lemans, to finish the clone you would need badges 250.00, tailpanel and light assemblies w/installation and paint 3000.00, front grilles 200.00, hood 400.00. Tell me what your budget is and where you live and i will keep an eye out for cars near you, as Bear stated buying a car sight unseen is at best a risky proposition for that kinda coin. That being said "I did it", found the car on Craigslist in Idaho, and i am in MI. Luckily a had an uncle who was 15 minutes from the car and is into cars (porsche's). he went over it with a magnet and sent me no fewer than 100 pics of nearly every inch of the car. so when i was ready to pull the trigger after some negotiating (3 weeks later) i was confident it was a rust free, straight (as a 45 year old car can be), 100% original car that had a blown motor and was sitting in a carport for 35 years. the interior vinyl was baked from the high desert also. I purchased the car for 2500 and it cost me 900 to have it shipped car hauler to MI original asking price was 3500. my suggestion is find the car with the best body you can for your budget as Bear can attest just the paint and body on these cars can cost 15-20K to pay to have done right. I am doing a frame on resto and have at least 10K in parts, only thing i have not done myself is machine work on the engine. so if i had jobbed the work out that would probably equate to 20-30K parts and labor. and thats before paint....i have at least 100 hrs. in just sanding the "straight" (no such thing even with brand new panels) body and getting it ready for primer, after which i will have to sand it at least two more times completely before it is even ready for color.:cheers

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
To me, the hood looks twisted too. The passenger side looks fine but the drivers side looks way high...

1 - 20 of 124 Posts