Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a auto console for a 1967 GTO. I don't want a restored one and I really don't want one that can be restored as I'm going to be using it to as a templet for a carbon fiber mold. I can use one that is broken down and has crack and even some holes. I can always fill in the blemishes with modeling clay.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The whole console would be best. I plane on making a reproduction base out of either carbon fiber or high density fiberglass and the top out of carbon fiber (a resto-mod type look with the switches for the windows on the center console) I would need the top eventually to make the molds for the carbon fiber inlays. I don't want to potentially ruin something restorable.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
I have a couple of nice bases and tops. I would LEND to you if they aren't gonna get "sacrificed"....too nice to ruin though......Eric PM me.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
could make a mold from them, i would shrink wrap them first then make a polystyrene mold, that will give you a female to lay glass into with release to make a base, then lay carbon fiber on that. only problem will be glove box as it will be 3 dimensional, but i would make top and sides as one piece and the box as another. You can also use Polyester fleece stretched over and resined to make a rough mold....Good luck and take pictures as you go

1966 Tempest pictures by instg8ter - Photobucket

Brian

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm gunna make a complete mold of the base and the top part will be a separate mold on one set of molds mold. The other mold I want to do everything at once (less the console lid that will be done separate). After I get the rough mold on the second I'm gunna make a sample piece out of plaster and modelers clay and re-work it a bit to give it a little modern and rounded look with integrated window switches, suspension air bag switches, maybe a NOS switch and I'm contemplating a cup holder (lol). I'm gunna be making vacuum molds though and in the past when I made a vacuum mold out of something plastic the heat generated from the chemical reaction can damage the plastic pieces. The top plate for the Hurst Shifter showed up today so I can start with that piece. I appreciate the offer for the loan of the parts but I don't want to risk ruining something that can still find a good home in a Goat. I like resto-mods, but not at the expense of destroying something original or salvageable. I'm still a purist at heart. I'll definitely put pics up though and since I will own the molds, if when I get it dialed in and anybody wants one I'll do it up for materials and cost of shipping.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
cool Cop i might take you up on that, keep us posted. I ended up restoring an original as mine is more of a 70's retro mod, but a did pad and wrap the sides in black vinyl to match the interior as the plastic looked cheap with the walnut dash, shifter handle and steering wheel. i was thinking of making a vacuum frame myself, have a bunch of the turbo Fox Body Mustang boys wanting me to make them boost gauge panels, have not done any CF yet though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is no difference with CF in the vacuum molds, just the cloth and resin, the process is all the same. With CF though you can add a filler, like a honey comb, which makes it even more stronger then FG.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found one on eBay for $125 and it comes with the standard auto shifter cover. I already have a duel gate one that was chopped on a little before I got it (bastards!) so I should have everything now. As soon as the console arrives I'm gunna make the mold for the rough copy and start reworking it. I'll post the pics as I move along

1 - 11 of 11 Posts