Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into potentially buying a 68 Tempest cloned into a GTO. It's a convertible with a new 350 .
Lots of nice updates and very clean inside and out.
He has 25+ into it but needs to sell.
My question is what is it really worth and how hard is it to sell if I wanted to upgrade at some point to a true GTO

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
It's worth what the market will bear, and it will never be a true GTO, no matter what you do to it. A real GTO is worth about twice what a Tempest is, and a Tempest costs the same $$$ to restore. You could get a pretty nice real '68 GTO ragtop for about 30k, probably less in this market. I would say the Tempest is probably a 12-15k car, max. That said, there is nothing wrong with a Tempest or LeMans.....same basic car as the GTO and cheaper to buy and insure. With the right drivetrain, every bit the equal of the GTO, but without the 'bragging rights".

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
I'd have to see pics at least to value this car but IMO $25 K is Top Dollar for a non GTO especially with the 350 motor unless it was a full protouring car with an LS swap. GTO on the other hand will command that price and possibly more depending on options and rarity.

But again, I was around when that was a $1500 car too....

As GeeTee said though it's all about putting the right buyer with the right car and anything can happen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is my dilemma, I have not seen any true GTO convertible for under 35k. My budget is 20 for a nice weekend ride that looks and sounds the part. If I can sell it in 5-10 years for same while I save up another 20 for the real show type car then the mission is accomplished. Just trying to figure out if this restored Tempest is worth 18-20. I attached some pics. Thanks guys I totally appreciate the feed back.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
No

:cool: Consider that 50% to 90% of the money you shovel into the clone will never be recouped. It's better to buy a GTO that meets your needs and put the money into it.

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
He has 25+ into it but needs to sell.
He made a mistake investing that kind of money into a clone, In my opinion a tempest convertible restored to it's original concourse condition that scores a 10 out of 10 would be worth $25,000-$30,000.

Here is a NADA value chart, my opinion is the car cloned to a GTO would be worth about $10,000-$12,000, if he had left it as a Tempest maybe $12,000-$16,000 depending on the market in your area.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:cool: Consider that 50% to 90% of the money you shovel into the clone will never be recouped. It's better to buy a GTO that meets your needs and put the money into it.
but base average retail on a 68 2 door with a 350 is 40k, that's twice what I can afford

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Buy it if you must, then. We're simply telling you that it's overpriced by roughly twice what its value is. If you could get it for 15k or less, you'd be ok, IMO. More than that, it's a money loser for sure. Just because the owner made the mistake of investing too much money into his clone doesn't mean you have to take ownership of the same mistake. Your call, though. I've said my piece.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buy it if you must, then. We're simply telling you that it's overpriced by roughly twice what its value is. If you could get it for 15k or less, you'd be ok, IMO. More than that, it's a money loser for sure. Just because the owner made the mistake of investing too much money into his clone doesn't mean you have to take ownership of the same mistake. Your call, though. I've said my piece.
Thank you, I totally hear where your coming from, maybe I should just wait to find one for 25 or see if he is willing to sell for 15 lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He made a mistake investing that kind of money into a clone, In my opinion a tempest convertible restored to it's original concourse condition that scores a 10 out of 10 would be worth $25,000-$30,000.

Here is a NADA value chart, my opinion is the car cloned to a GTO would be worth about $10,000-$12,000, if he had left it as a Tempest maybe $12,000-$16,000 depending on the market in your area.

Thanks Randy, that's very useful info.
I don't mind being the laughing stock of GTO owners I just don't want to over pay. Makes me think there is no Champagne deal on a beer budget lol. So maybe il just buy a Le Mans or Tempest and keep it as is. Seems more logical.

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
My Opinion. I don't know what the shame is in keeping a Lemans a Lemans or a Tempest a Tempest. So many want to make a "clone" or "tribute" car out of them. When I go to the assorted car shows, you would think the only Pontiac survivors ARE the GTO's. As I walk through these shows, I say, "yawn, another Judge, another GTO, just a different color." I hardly ever see a Lemans or Tempest.....but once in a while I get lucky and perk right up BECAUSE it is something different.

I see big dollar signs for sale because the "clones" and "tribute" cars had to invest a whole lot of money to get that "clone" or "tribute" car when if they had simply bought the GTO WITH all the pieces that made it a GTO it may have cost less. So it may cost just as much, or most likely more, to "clone" or "tribute" your Lemans/Tempest. But in the end, its still a Lemans/Tempest and now when the seller goes to sell it, thinking if an original GTO is worth X, well then my top notch clone has to be worth X. Sadly, this proves not to be the case - it is still a Lemans/Tempest anyway you slice it.

IF you like it and are willing to pay the price, then buy it by all means. If you think you can buy it and make money on it, then I say buyer beware. Buy the car and never drive it, because mileage and wear and tear will drop the value of a Lemans like a stone. The 350CI hurts the value quite a bit. A 400CI would have better completed the "clone." Very few want a 350CI even if it has all the chrome goodies on it. You clone a GTO, you better have the power, or more, to be a GTO "clone".

Consider this as well. You get some joker texting on his Ipad in his Honda, blows through a stop sign, and totals your GTO. Unless you have it insured correctly, you will most likely lose your shirt and your investment. Trying to replace the GTO may be difficult because the GTO is a Package, body/engine/trans. Now I have a '68 Lemans. If some dodo totals me out, I pull the drivetrain, get another body (Lemans or Tempest), and move forward - because I built the car around my drive train. I will most likely get enough from the insurance to do this and I build another body. You can't just build another GTO, you have to buy one.

All said, purchase wisely as many people are trying to unload their over priced cars because the market is dropping, just like homeowners that paid way too much for their homes, they are top heavy and can't sell. I see this all the time at car shows. Your 40,000 mile 1974 Pinto will not fetch $6,000. Period. If you have to have a GTO, then save up for the "right" one of your dreams, but don't buy it because you look at it as an investment or a means to grow your money - invest in land.

Judging from the photos, it does look nice. Convertible is a big plus. 350CI is a minus. I would place the value between $12,000 - $18,000 tops if everything in and out is new, suspension/brakes all new, and the drivetrain has been recently rebuilt with the 350CI being warmed over with go fast goodies. My gut says $16,000 is fair.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My Opinion. I don't know what the shame is in keeping a Lemans a Lemans or a Tempest a Tempest. So many want to make a "clone" or "tribute" car out of them. When I go to the assorted car shows, you would think the only Pontiac survivors ARE the GTO's. As I walk through these shows, I say, "yawn, another Judge, another GTO, just a different color." I hardly ever see a Lemans or Tempest.....but once in a while I get lucky and perk right up BECAUSE it is something different.

I see big dollar signs for sale because the "clones" and "tribute" cars had to invest a whole lot of money to get that "clone" or "tribute" car when if they had simply bought the GTO WITH all the pieces that made it a GTO it may have cost less. So it may cost just as much, or most likely more, to "clone" or "tribute" your Lemans/Tempest. But in the end, its still a Lemans/Tempest and now when the seller goes to sell it, thinking if an original GTO is worth X, well then my top notch clone has to be worth X. Sadly, this proves not to be the case - it is still a Lemans/Tempest anyway you slice it.

IF you like it and are willing to pay the price, then buy it by all means. If you think you can buy it and make money on it, then I say buyer beware. Buy the car and never drive it, because mileage and wear and tear will drop the value of a Lemans like a stone. The 350CI hurts the value quite a bit. A 400CI would have better completed the "clone." Very few want a 350CI even if it has all the chrome goodies on it. You clone a GTO, you better have the power, or more, to be a GTO "clone".

Consider this as well. You get some joker texting on his Ipad in his Honda, blows through a stop sign, and totals your GTO. Unless you have it insured correctly, you will most likely lose your shirt and your investment. Trying to replace the GTO may be difficult because the GTO is a Package, body/engine/trans. Now I have a '68 Lemans. If some dodo totals me out, I pull the drivetrain, get another body (Lemans or Tempest), and move forward - because I built the car around my drive train. I will most likely get enough from the insurance to do this and I build another body. You can't just build another GTO, you have to buy one.

All said, purchase wisely as many people are trying to unload their over priced cars because the market is dropping, just like homeowners that paid way too much for their homes, they are top heavy and can't sell. I see this all the time at car shows. Your 40,000 mile 1974 Pinto will not fetch $6,000. Period. If you have to have a GTO, then save up for the "right" one of your dreams, but don't buy it because you look at it as an investment or a means to grow your money - invest in land.

Judging from the photos, it does look nice. Convertible is a big plus. 350CI is a minus. I would place the value between $12,000 - $18,000 tops if everything in and out is new, suspension/brakes all new, and the drivetrain has been recently rebuilt with the 350CI being warmed over with go fast goodies. My gut says $16,000 is fair.
Thank you, lots of good points and insights. I don't mind it being a clone, I like the fact it's ready to enjoy and it's convertible. Looking at Lemans and Tempest for sale ready to ride in Midwest ur still looking at 16-20 that have little to nothing done. This one still has matching numbers and full resto. Lots to think about. Glad I signed up here

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you DO buy it you can avoid a lot of ridicule by simply removing all of the GTO badging. That's a nice car and whether it's a Tempest, LeMans or GTO the fact is they ain't making any more of them.

If you can get it at a price you feel comfortable paying, I'd say any of the A-body Ponchos are worth owning. Of course, the 68's are prettiest :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you DO buy it you can avoid a lot of ridicule by simply removing all of the GTO badging. That's a nice car and whether it's a Tempest, LeMans or GTO the fact is they ain't making any more of them.

If you can get it at a price you feel comfortable paying, I'd say any of the A-body Ponchos are worth owning. Of course, the 68's are prettiest :thumbsup:
Thanks, was actually starting to think that's the way to go if I can pick the car up at the right number. Call it what it is and just enjoy driving it. It will turn heads either way

·
Registered
217 Posts
Check the body work real close. High restoration prices don't always mean talent, it can mean it took em a long time to screw it up or restore it like "...it's just a Tempest, so...". If you really don't care and it's the year/make/body style you want, AND you can shag it for a good number, spend 1/2 the difference and build a bitchin 400/455 to stuff into it. Now you have the looks and the go power. Maybe for more than $10K less than the genuine gig, but looking ahead many years from now you'd already the motor if you did step up. Just sayin...

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Lets remember that most people outside of the Pontiac circle won't even know what a 242 car is so to them it's a GTO because it says it on the fender. It all comes down to "pay now (and get a true GTO) or Pay Later (when you sell and LeMans loses value). Fact is it's a really cool Vert either way, if it was a goat it would be 25-30...15-18 sounds fair if it is all re-done, in good quality and ready to drive.

I have turned down two offers at 20 because "they had a Tempest when they were a kid", my daughter already has dibs on it, and she would kill me if i sold it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lets remember that most people outside of the Pontiac circle won't even know what a 242 car is so to them it's a GTO because it says it on the fender. It all comes down to "pay now (and get a true GTO) or Pay Later (when you sell and LeMans loses value). Fact is it's a really cool Vert either way, if it was a goat it would be 25-30...15-18 sounds fair if it is all re-done, in good quality and ready to drive.

I have turned down two offers at 20 because "they had a Tempest when they were a kid", my daughter already has dibs on it, and she would kill me if i sold it.

Thanks
If all goes well I will be driving it home Sunday. Will keep you posted. Lot of great feed back . I'm glad i came here and I'm sure i will be back with a lot more questions as i get to start tinkering with the car.

·
Registered
172 Posts
On thing you could consider is having this car appraised before you buy it. Depending on the quality of the restoration, the price could be in the ball park. Also, with a pre-purchase inspection, you will know ahead of time what you could expect to collect if the unforeseeable happens.

I'd say, if you like the car and the price and value aren't too far apart, go for it. Even if you lose a bit when you go to sell, you will be able to enjoy having it until you can afford what you really want. It's not as if the value of this car will continue to drop. It should maintain most of it's value unless you let it go to seed.

Whichever decision you make has to be the right one for you. Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts