Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am dying my seat belts black, as I am turning my interior from green to black. I'd kind of like to use the same belts. I'm including a couple of pics. I think these are 1967 deluxe?? belts. I belive they are missing a brushed aluminum buckle for the top (the flip up part that would release the buckle). Would anyone happen to have a pair of those, or even a picture of what they should look like would be helpful. The belts and retractors are in pretty good shape. Textile Sleeve Bag Collar Cool
Sleeve Material property Rectangle Tints and shades Beige
Textile Grey Sleeve Beige Denim
The buckle in the first pic is also missing the little pivot mechanism that unlocks the buckle. Thanks, DD

· Registered
1,166 Posts
It would appear that your belts are missing the plastic covers. This video shows what I am talking about. My original '67 belts look just like the ones in the video, except mine have the Fisher logo on the button (IIRC).

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and video. For some reason I had it in my head that they were a metal buckle, but I don't know where I got that idea. The push button does seem like the way they do work.

· Registered
66 GTO post coupe
406 Posts
Sleeve Rectangle Collar Wood Tie

Thanks for the reply and video. For some reason I had it in my head that they were a metal buckle, but I don't know where I got that idea. The push button does seem like the way they do work.
[/QUO
I’m not sure but I don’t think 67’s would be plastic covers, here’s a pic of 66 metal covers

· Registered
1,166 Posts
The 67's covers were plastic, at least according to my car and the AMES catalog...

Rectangle Font Output device Machine Video game console

Oddly enough, I do not see that the 66's are available from AMES. I'm betting that the metal 66 buckle covers were so good that they don't have reproduce them. The plastic covers just don't last...50 plus years!

· Registered
66 GTO post coupe
406 Posts
The 67's covers were plastic, at least according to my car and the AMES catalog...

View attachment 159465

Oddly enough, I do not see that the 66's are available from AMES. I'm betting that the metal 66 buckle covers were so good that they don't have reproduce them. The plastic covers just don't last...50 plus years!
I stand corrected. Good to know these details for future reference. 👍

· Premium Member
949 Posts
Mine are for sale if you'd like to buy them. I had dreams of restoring a 67 some day, but the 65 has taken over and I'm gradually selling off the 67 parts that came off the 67 LeMans my father purchased in 67. I'll head out to the shop today to get some pictures of what I have. They are gold, but in really nice condition last time I looked at them. I suppose any color can be died black?

· Premium Member
949 Posts
It's a shame how time passing makes things get older...
Here are some pictures of what I have to offer. They are more dirty than I recall, probably never professionally cleaned. I've had them in storage since the 80s. All the parts are there, rollers, covers. One unit has some rust on it. It is the dirtiest of the belts too. That was probably my side of the back seat. My sister was neat and clean. I was the messy little brother.:confused:

I'd prefer to sell the whole set rather than parting it out. I'd love for it to all go back into another LeMans. I'm sentimental like that.

I'm asking $200 plus shipping from 76702 for the whole set.

Sleeve Wood Eyewear Automotive exterior Bumper
Font Wood Rectangle Sleeve Automotive exterior
Watch Analog watch Clock Measuring instrument Watch accessory

· Registered
1,166 Posts
It seems that Pontiac may have crossed the years with the buckle types. I know my April '67 had kick panel screws and headliner pieces from '66. I would much prefer the metal ones and will have to keep that in mind when it comes to replace my plastic covers. If anybody knows if the metal ones from AMES or InLine will fit the belts with plastic covers...chime in.

@michaelfind 's parts look nice and should take black dye well. I have purchased from him with good results. We had to deal with a shipping damage claim and he took care of business...very trustworthy!

If @67lemans does not buy them...keep me in mind. You may have to charge me more since they will be going in a GTO! :p

· Registered
493 Posts
The metal deluxe buckle was a factory option. I've had one '67 with the custom belts and three with the plastic. On top of being much better looking, the metal buckles stay much cleaner. Heck of a deal back then.

SEAT BELTS-CUSTOM-FRONT AND REAR 431 $6.32

Font Brand Event Graphics Number

1 - 19 of 19 Posts