Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking at different shifters and was wondering if anyone has any feedback as far as which shifter is better than the others. I've seen alot of B&M, but also have read in other threads that they have fallen appart. I've also seen a HURST shifter but not heard any feedback. What about the GMM? has anyone here used these products and what are your experiences whith them? Are they simple to install or do you need special tools? Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
greaser32002 said:
I'm currently looking at different shifters and was wondering if anyone has any feedback as far as which shifter is better than the others. I've seen alot of B&M, but also have read in other threads that they have fallen appart. I've also seen a HURST shifter but not heard any feedback. What about the GMM? has anyone here used these products and what are your experiences whith them? Are they simple to install or do you need special tools? Any feedback is appreciated.
I'm installing a B&M on my m6 this week. Ill let you know.:cool

·
Registered
439 Posts
GMM seems to be the best product at the moment. Also among the most expensive and takes the longest to ship.

Hurst is coming out with one in the near future, dunno about it.

B&M seems to be catching a lot of complaints.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I have a B&M in my car. Huge improvement over the stock shifter -- but not that blown away by it. Finding gears can be kind of a pain -- and this Tremec requires your undivided attention to drive smoothly.

A lot of the complaints concern leaking of transmission fluid and bolts working loose. However, if you apply your RTV sealant to the bottom of the mounting plate and Loctite Red everything (using REAL Loctite) there won't be any problems.

Your other options are the GMM Ripshifter and a product made by Harrop. Both of these are Australian firms. Very expensive and takes a little while to ship -- but I've heard good things about them.

Hurst, Pro 5.0 and SLP will NOT be making shift kits for the GTO.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
By "shift kits" do you mean shifters, or automatic transmission valve body shift kits?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your quick responses, I really appreciate it. However I did see a new product for the hurst shifter here :

http://go.mrgasket.com/newproducts/flyers/NPHurst.pdf

I don't know if they're on the market,but I hope they will be. I'm a bit curious about this one- only because they have been in the market forever specializing in shifters. Has anyone seen these before?

·
Registered
491 Posts
greaser32002 said:
Thanks for your quick responses, I really appreciate it. However I did see a new product for the hurst shifter here :

http://go.mrgasket.com/newproducts/flyers/NPHurst.pdf

I don't know if they're on the market,but I hope they will be. I'm a bit curious about this one- only because they have been in the market forever specializing in shifters. Has anyone seen these before?
I think GTOdealer called Hurst and talked to a sales rep awhile back...the rep said it would be a no-go for the GTO shifter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.