I'm restoring a 65, and could use one,
or if someone has a reference for directions on how to build one,
I could use that too.
Thanks,
Paul

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
I recently saw an interesting homemade one....2 engine stands at opposite ends of the car. square tubing drilled and fitted to engine stands and body ! Pretty cool!:cheers

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I've seen similar ones. I had forgotten about that way. Most I have seen have had the main upright cut and a piece put in to lengthen it so you can get the car on its top and not hit the floor. Unless you are wanting to make a convertible. :)

I keep thinking of the Mustang cars, they have a bit more structural metal on them, but for just a body I don't see why the engine stand type wouldn't work. Just use good ones, not real cheapos. I would use the 1000 lb ones that have four legs instead of three. Better stabillity.

The real issue is how do you get the body up in the air enough to attach it to the rotissorie, whatever kind you do. :)
Russ

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Stripped completely? All glass, wiring, nuts, bolts, etc removed?
A mid 60's Mustang in that shape weighs around 4-500 lbs. I can't imagine that the GTO body would weigh too much more than that, but I don't know.

Anybody have a body laying around with access to a trailer and a truck weighing place? Weigh just the trailer alone, then with the body, subtract the one from the other and there you have it. :)

Russ

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
For the OP, you might want to put a wanted ad on Craig's list in the auto parts section and the tool section. I always have them reply to the craigslist email you get when you place an ad, never give phone or email out in the ad.
Sometimes you might find someone who has been thinking about selling their's, but hadn't gotten around to it yet.
Russ

·
Registered
668 Posts
It isnt hard to build one, we did it and it worked good. The most expensive part is the caster wheels. If you like I can get you dimensions.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thumpin,
That would be great, if you could get me dimensions.
maybe a parts list as well, if that's not too much trouble.
Is there welding involved? I can't tell by the pic.
Thanks for all the help everyone.
Paul

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yeah welding is involved but it isnt a huge thing. Also a better design for the body adapters would be advisable. I had stuff laying around so I used what I had rather than buying more steel. I will get you dimensions and pieces while I am out in the shop this evening.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The more I frequent this forum (which is approaching hourly during most waking hours) the more I think I am going to pick up some very dangerous habits!
Your wife is going to love it. Mine told me how much she loved it daily;) for a whole summer!

I just replaced all the valves and the head on my sand blaster. Just need to get the big compress some new capacitors for the motor. I lost start up.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
For the op, there is one for sale in Delaware for $550 on another forum. If interested pm or email me for details. Not mine, ( I wish it was!) but I have bought stuff from the seller before.
Russ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts