Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member looking for a little advice. I am looking at a '68 numbers matching 400/360 4-speed car with no power options. The only option I know of is the endura bumper delete. It is a solid car with a straight body and a good paint job but it is not the original color. Interior is decent but could use a little help. What kind of money (ballpark) is it worth?

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Pictures would help for sure.

Endura delete is pretty rare but I'm not sure what kind of premium they command over a "garden variety" GTO.

360 HP? So is it a H.O. Endura delete 4 speed with no power options :skep:? Could have been ordered to race (the steel bumper is lighter), what rear axle ratio?

More information please before we throw this into the $10 -15 K pile. :smash:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. The engine code is WT. I pulled 360 from the internet somewhere but since posting I have seen WT reported at both 350 and 360. I don't know the rear ratio but can probably find out.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wallace Racing's Pontiac Engine Code Search

You Searched For: •Year=1968
•Engine=400
•Engine code=wt
1 Matches Found (displaying 1 to 1)

Year Engine HP Engine code Trans CR Cam Head Code BBL Carb No. Misc
1968 400 350 HP WT M 10.75 067 16 1-4 7028263 Service Manual shows 360 HP; Block Casting # 9790071

What do you think about the price?

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I think that if the car hasn't had a bunch of rust out issues, and is as solid as it looks, it's worth 16k all day long. As long as it's got original floorpans and sheetmetal. If it's undergone major surgery, maybe a 12k car. Basic condition is everything here. How solid is it underneath the surface. To me, it looks pretty good. Not molested, not modified in bad taste. Nice car.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
If they are asking $16K they're thinking $14.5K and for a nice driver that just needs some interior attention and details I'd say that's not out of line. What is the original color?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If they are asking $16K they're thinking $14.5K and for a nice driver that just needs some interior attention and details I'd say that's not out of line. What is the original color?
The color code is G. From what I can tell it is should be gold.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
April Gold. As much as I hate gold cars, on a '68 bumper delete car, I think it would look very classy. Especially with redline tires. Low key and elegant.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
April Gold. As much as I hate gold cars, on a '68 bumper delete car, I think it would look very classy. Especially with redline tires. Low key and elegant.
Too funny. I thought the same thing....it's not the original color but the original color is not for me. It's part of the equation though. When I consider what a repaint would cost it would probably go upside down quickly.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Yep. That's why you don't paint it. You drive it! Simply keep it waxed and stored out of the weather when you aren't driving it. When you drive it, you can enjoy yourself without going nuts every time you get a tiny rock chip, etc. Restored/freshly painted cars are a lot more fuss than 'driver' cars!

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I am with Alky on the 14.5K. It appears to be in overall good shape. Like geeteeohguy said, I'd be crawling all over it looking for rust or any possible patch repairs. If done well, these repairs pose no real problem in value. I would also want to know a little history on the engine, miles? Has it been rebuilt? How does it run? If you have to rebuild, then this would lower the price somewhat.

The endura bumper delete was not a common option and I believe it was only available on the earlier production models, but I could be wrong on that. It does not really add any value even though not common. Most GTO people want the body matching endura nose as the chrome bumper is more in line with the Lemans or Tempest.

It appears the car has the dual mirror option and the custom pedal covers having the chrome trim. Of course these could have been added.

The WT engine code for '68 is the standard 350 HP 400CI/4-speed. The 360HP HO engine was WS for the 4-speed. Your heads should be the #16 heads found cast on the center exhaust port. The 350HP used the factory 067 cam while the 360 HP used the slightly hotter 068 cam -but the 360HP automatic cars used the 067 cam.

You most likely still have the 10.5 compression ratio. I would ask the owner if he can run it on pump premium gas or has to use an octane booster. This might be a consideration if you want to drive the car a whole lot, as it could become costly. Don't think gas prices are going to stay low forever -they will eventually go up.

If you care to, you can check the numbers on the Q-jet to see if it is still original to the car. #7028263 would be the correct number.

It appears to be a car you can drive, and drive I would. I would not think about putting any big money into it at this point -only what it needed. If you put any big dollars in it, then you would most likely be upside down on it if you wanted to sell it in the short run. Now if you keep it long term, that may be a different story.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am with Alky on the 14.5K. It appears to be in overall good shape. Like geeteeohguy said, I'd be crawling all over it looking for rust or any possible patch repairs. If done well, these repairs pose no real problem in value. I would also want to know a little history on the engine, miles? Has it been rebuilt? How does it run? If you have to rebuild, then this would lower the price somewhat.

The endura bumper delete was not a common option and I believe it was only available on the earlier production models, but I could be wrong on that. It does not really add any value even though not common. Most GTO people want the body matching endura nose as the chrome bumper is more in line with the Lemans or Tempest.

It appears the car has the dual mirror option and the custom pedal covers having the chrome trim. Of course these could have been added.

The WT engine code for '69 is the standard 350 HP 400CI/4-speed. The 360HP HO engine was WS for the 4-speed. Your heads should be the #16 heads found cast on the center exhaust port. The 350HP used the factory 067 cam while the 360 HP used the slightly hotter 068 cam -but the 360HP automatic cars used the 067 cam.

You most likely still have the 10.5 compression ratio. I would ask the owner if he can run it on pump premium gas or has to use an octane booster. This might be a consideration if you want to drive the car a whole lot, as it could become costly. Don't think gas prices are going to stay low forever -they will eventually go up.

If you care to, you can check the numbers on the Q-jet to see if it is still original to the car. #7028263 would be the correct number.

It appears to be a car you can drive, and drive I would. I would not think about putting any big money into it at this point -only what it needed. If you put any big dollars in it, then you would most likely be upside down on it if you wanted to sell it in the short run. Now if you keep it long term, that may be a different story.:thumbsup:

The owner has the PHS docs I believe. You said the '69 WT was a 350 hp. Is it the same for '68? I think I can get it for close to 12k so it sounds like I would be okay provided everything checks out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts