Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 1967 GTO 400 with a factory hood tach that doesn't work. It has a MSD 8528 cap and coil on it and I was wonder what is needed if I order a new tach from Ames or Year One or if there is a better spot to purchase one with this set up?

Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
If you have a points distributor, you may want to simply have the original refurbed with new face decal and internals.

If you plan on ever converting or using an electronic ignition, most will not work with an analog (original) tach. The aftermarket tachs are typically made for this use. However, you can also have the original analog tach rebuilt using components designed for use with electronics.

Some tachs may work for either type ignition.

So you may want to decide what route you want to take and then inquire further into the correct tach for your application.

Here are two older posts on the subject.

461 won't rev up

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you have a points distributor, you may want to simply have the original refurbed with new face decal and internals.

If you plan on ever converting or using an electronic ignition, most will not work with an analog (original) tach. The aftermarket tachs are typically made for this use. However, you can also have the original analog tach rebuilt using components designed for use with electronics.

Some tachs may work for either type ignition.

So you may want to decide what route you want to take and then inquire further into the correct tach for your application.

Here are two older posts on the subject.

461 won't rev up

If you go with an electronic ignition you'll need one of these (there's a load of them out there) This is a cheapy,,,,,,that works just great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts