Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a guy who can hook me up with an '04 for like $19,500. Im just waiting to find a blue one with blue leather and 6 speed. How much do you guys like these. Ive heard mixed reviews. I love the look and the power, but im also worried about the gas mpg. I currently have and '01 Dodge Stratus R/T and love it alot, but the GTO is really pushing my buttons now, if you know what i mean.

-B Genius

·
Registered
14 Posts
Whatever you do, don't drive a GTO. :cool It will all be over for you then. :D

In the 04, you are getting 350HP, I don't recall the torque number off hand. That is enough to get you into trouble.

As for mileage: I got 23.7 mpg on a recent highway trip in my '06M6. I'm down to about 16.7 in town, but thats because I'm driving it rather agressively. I'm hoping to settle down to about 19 or 20 in mixed driving. The other members of the forum have had their vehicles longer and can give you more information.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi and Welcome.

I have an 04 and absolutely love it. The LS1 is a nice performing motor with a great reputation. I have been getting about 18 or so mpg mixed driving. Mine has 14,500 miles. I bought it May 2005 with 10,000 miles on it. You will be a very happy commuter with the '04 0- a lot of bang for your buck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
AUsomTiger said:
Whatever you do, don't drive a GTO. :cool It will all be over for you then. :D
:agree Exactly! Once you drive one, that's all you'll be able to think about. Even after you buy one, it's still all you can think about. I love my GTO. As far as mileage, it's not so bad in the M6s as the A4s. Plus if you buy an automatic, you'll have to pay the gas guzzler tax whereas the manual you will not. Both options are very fun to drive, it just depends on your preference really. I personally couldn't see myself driving a car like this in anything but the manual. It's a great feeling to go through the gears while fast accelaration. Plus when you downshift, you get the cool gurgle/popping sound. I love seeing the looks when I'm stopping at a light. People always ask what's under the hood or how fast it is. I love it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the 04 LS1 and I love it. I get about 16mpg, but that is strictly city driving. I get about 25mpg on the highway though, and when I have a good mixture of city and highway, I get about 20mpg. That is with the M6 though. If you are looking at the A4, it will be slightly less. I have almost 50,000 miles on my car, and I have had no problems...Well, almost no problems...my back tires seem to be melting at a rapid pace :D . I have to agree with the others here...If you aren't sure that you are going to buy one, then don't test drive it. I was hooked as soon as I turned the key. Just the sound of that big V8, and the car gently rocking, just waiting to go...$19500 sounds like a pretty good price, but how many miles does it have?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Too late I already did drive one and I am in love. I did test drive and 06' and and '04 and I love them both. My guy said he buys the GTO right from GM so he picks them up cheap and can get one to me for $19500 with uner 20,000mi. Thats what im definately looking for. I just need someone to buy my Stratus R/T!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
BitterGenius said:
Too late I already did drive one and I am in love. I did test drive and 06' and and '04 and I love them both. My guy said he buys the GTO right from GM so he picks them up cheap and can get one to me for $19500 with uner 20,000mi. Thats what im definately looking for. I just need someone to buy my Stratus R/T!!!
You've given in! Now you're hooked. Getting one will be all that you'll be able to think about. Good luck selling the other car.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a torrid red '04 A4. Love it. Have driven the 05 and didn't notice a power diff really to be honest. The 04 has 350HP/365TQ the 05 The 05 and 06 have 400/400. The auto is quicker than the manual....everyone will blah blah blah about it but that's the truth. The manual is fun to drive but sucks in traffic and is a little sloppy. I've had more sticks than autos and i prefer this car in auto form for various reasons. I get 17-18mpg in mixed driving. No problems for me other than minor cosmetics like the shifter trim bubbling and the wiper trim pulling away and the radio kinda blows cuz it messes up electronically sometiems (all this fixed under warranty). 24,500 miles ZERO mechanical problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 04 blue/blue m6. Fuel mileage, highway will exceed 25 mpg. Driving around town, stop and go, will drop that figure to about 17 mpg.

The reason for greater highway mpg on a m6 is 5th and 6th gear are overdrive ratios. The engine only tachs. about 1500 rpm at 60 mph in top gear. The automatics consume more fuel, in part, because the engine spins faster at a given road speed.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ummm

Before you say yes or no to that 04, check into a 05, new or used. I paid $20 more than a 04 for my brand new, never driven, LS2 05. Theres nothing like the feel of owning a brand new car, espically a GTO.

Even if your 15 :cool

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.