Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been lurking around these forums and the ls1gto.com forums for a couple of weeks since I started looking for a new car. My 97’ grand prix has over 177k miles on her. I am afraid she will not last much longer. :( I was looking at the new 05’ grand prixs when I saw the goat. I fell in love.

Now, I am not much of a car guy. My knowledge is practically nill. But the GTO gets my heart pounding and a big stupid grin on my face when I see one. :)

This would be my new daily driver. So I expect it will get some nicks and dings over the years to come. I also do not have a garage, which sucks, but I am looking at some car covers. Also, mileage wouldn’t be a problem, obviously, since you wouldn’t buy this car for good mileage. I only have a 36 mile/day commute (mostly highway at that). And I cannot drive a stick. Maybe my next car…, but this will have to be an A4. Yes, I know, most will bash the A4, but a GTO is better than no GTO.

Now, onto some questions. How many goats will still be on the lots this fall (August, September)? I still see 2004s out there, hopefully I’ll be able to find a 05 black/black A4… but I heard the numbers are less for than 05’s than the 04’s…?

What is the chance that the prices will come down, or some special offers come out? Any ideas if I could get it at invoice, or possibly less? This will probably not my most intelligent purchase (WILL be the most FUN I bet), but after finishing payments on a couple of computers, I should be able to afford a 60 month plan for the goat starting this fall.

How does it handle on snow? In the rain? I live in Northern Indiana, so all the elements hit us every year (rain, snow, heat, etc). Maybe a couple hundred pounds of salt in the trunk during the snowy season would help? That and winter tires…

Also insurance. I am 25 years old with Farmers insurance. Any idea of the costs? I am going to contact them this week and see what the goat would cost me.

God, I want this car!! The wait will probably kill me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Do yourself a favor. Buy a beater for the winter months. You SHOULD NOT take the goat out in any snow. If you dont know... rear wheel drive V8's should be banned from driving in the snow unless they have chains or studed tires PERIOD! After all, if you cherish the car you will not want to harm her. Not sure about insurance or incentives.. But I do know as a rule insurance companies lower premiums after the age of 25. You should be able to find an '04 auto on the dealers lot. I would think demand for the M6 is higher.

·
Registered
59 Posts
geerhed said:
Do yourself a favor. Buy a beater for the winter months. You SHOULD NOT take the goat out in any snow. If you dont know... rear wheel drive V8's should be banned from driving in the snow unless they have chains or studed tires PERIOD! After all, if you cherish the car you will not want to harm her. Not sure about insurance or incentives.. But I do know as a rule insurance companies lower premiums after the age of 25. You should be able to find an '04 auto on the dealers lot. I would think demand for the M6 is higher.

I disagree! Driving in bad weather is no problem with the GTO. I sugest you learn how to drive. I've been driving for close to 40 years. I've driven sticks and automatics, high horsepower and not so high horsepower, open rear and limited slip and posi-traction. You just have to know how to handle a vehicle in hazardous conditions. Seems everyone who passes thier state driving test and is issued a drivers licence is now some kind of expert.

Sorry for venting. It just gets me steamed when people blame the car or manufacture for thier own lack of ability.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Have to agree with Dave.

I've had my 05 6 spd in four inches of wet snow. The stock rubber isn't the best tire for snow & ice (they clog up easily) but with traction control it's definitely driveable. With a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks or Dunlop Wintersport M3's you should have no problems. Provided you obey the laws of physics.

FYI, my last car was a front drive Volvo 850 Turbo. That car was horrible in the snow, even with traction control on the stock Michelin MXM Pilots. I put a set of Blizzaks on it and the car was great in the snow.

Moral of story...front or rear drive can both work. Tires make the difference.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I live in Denver and have to commute in many a snow-storm.

In my opinion, the diffrerence between FWD and RWD doesn't matter when it comes to accidents. Most accidents are from people losing braking traction. In this case, even all-wheel-drive doesn't matter.

Also, for what it's worth, I think a manual transmission is better in the snow.

If you know how to properly drive, I thin the GTO would do adequately in the snow. If you're a poor driver, it could be a real pig.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
SJAndrew said:
In my opinion, the diffrerence between FWD and RWD doesn't matter when it comes to accidents. Most accidents are from people losing braking traction. In this case, even all-wheel-drive doesn't matter.
Agreed. My wife's vehicle is a Yukon Denali with AWD. I use a separate set of wheels and winter tires (Bridgestone Winter Duelers, equivalent of Blizzaks for trucks). It is very good in snow and ice but......5,600 Lbs of steel does not want to stop or turn on a surface with reduced traction. In that respect, it's worse than a car.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of numb nuts out there who can't fathom the concept of inertia. A body in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force.....
:rolleyes: tires gripping the road
:rolleyes: trees
:rolleyes: other cars
:rolleyes: guard rails
:rolleyes: snowbanks
:rolleyes: etc.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Balandar,

I too live in Northern Indiana (Warsaw) and my wife and I both have 04's; to be honest this car is unbelievable all around, from nice days like today (65 and sunny) to 2 months ago when it was 20 and 8 inches of snow. I commute 120 miles a day to and from South Bend (horrible lake effect) and I would consistently be the lead car driving probably well over acceptable speeds for the conditions. I am 22, and I pay 550/6 months now until next month when I turn 23 and it drops to 450/6 months. Depending on your driving record I am sure my agent (State Farm) could help you get at/near/or better than those rates. As for garaging, both of mine are leases so they get in when they get in, however, I am probably in the minority and love to wash my vehicles (by hand - the old fashioned and tedius way). PM me if you would like my agents number and I can give them a heads up; who knows I might get a free road atlas out of it.

I would love to go on and on about this vehicle but I am really tired...

·
Registered
13 Posts
ANyone have any speculation on his other questions as to what incentives might be available and whether or not the car will even be available in the later part of the year (fall/winter)? That is when I may consider the car, as I am looking for some decent discounts like the '04's are going for now (I can't expect it to be that good, but my fingers are crossed!!).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. This sounds like a good daily driver.

Hey sboylan, I may take you up on that offer if Farmer's insurance gives me some crazy quote. I'll find out either tomorrow or sometime next week. I don’t know about Warsaw, but Fort Wayne people should NOT be on the streets in winter. I see at least 6 cars in the ditch the first day it snows. :shutme

D_Nyholm: I'm right there with you. Looking at the end of the year for a purchase (can't afford it before then). I just hope there will be some black/black A4's on the lots. I do not want a used one... especially from what people on these forums do to their cars!! :eek: WOT! :D

·
Registered
307 Posts
I kept my beater Kia for winter driving. Bought the GTO on the last day of '04, got about two snow-free weeks to drive it. Only 929 miles on it now.

It's not the snow that I hate, it's the salt and other metal-eating crap they put on the roads. Won't drive the GTO in the wet until I'm sure all the salt is washed off. I hate rust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.