Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a S2000 and love it. While at my friends dealership I saw a new 05 GTO on the lot. He says he can make me a great deal on it. By driving it I know it won't out handle my S2000 but it will out run it in a straight line. All the while drinking twice the gas. My question is, is the GTO worth it or am I going to be sorry I traded my S2000. How is the reliability and availability of after market parts? Can these things be modified easily to get more HP? Any feedback pos or neg is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I don't think you'll need to modify the Goat to get more power, as you stated, you'll see the difference in the handling, and there are mods to improve that, from what I've read.

Both cars IMHO are fairly impracticle as daily drivers, but gas will hurt you more in the GTO. If having a very comfortable, but hard to get into rear seat turns you on, then I would say buy the Goat, or if you need to be the first one off the line at a stop light, buy the Goat.

Otherwise, keep your money and enjoy what you have. The S2000 is a great car.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
My friend has an S2000. Sharp car. But.....noisy, poor ride quality, and zero torque.

As you mentioned, the GTO will beat an S2000 in a straight line but.....3,700 lbs is hard to overcome in a corner. On the other hand, the GTO is quieter, has better ride quality, and is easier to drive due to the massive low end torque.

My GTO is a daily driver (90 miles round trip) and it's very enjoyable. I wouldn't try the same thing with an S2000.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love the monster power of the GTO but love the handling of the S2000. Has any one gotten the handling of a GTO close to a S2000 with after market mods? If so then my decision is easy. With this much power I would like to track the GTO but not with the way it currently handles. I know what MPH I pulled in the straight at Raod Atlanta with my S2000 and know what a stock Z06 pulled and would love to see what a GTO can do it in.

·
Registered
456 Posts
LITTLEELVISDAN said:
I love the monster power of the GTO but love the handling of the S2000. Has any one gotten the handling of a GTO close to a S2000 with after market mods? If so then my decision is easy. With this much power I would like to track the GTO but not with the way it currently handles. I know what MPH I pulled in the straight at Raod Atlanta with my S2000 and know what a stock Z06 pulled and would love to see what a GTO can do it in.

I have ordered (and recieved) f/r Sway Bars & Full Bushing set. Next is 4 Koni skocks and a set of springs.

Once these are installed, I'm sure I'll give the S2000 a good run for the money :cool

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Robertr2000 said:
I have ordered (and recieved) f/r Sway Bars & Full Bushing set. Next is 4 Koni skocks and a set of springs.

Once these are installed, I'm sure I'll give the S2000 a good run for the money :cool
Sweet. Do they make coil overs for the GTO yet? If you don't mind telling, what do the sway bars and bushing set cost for the GTO?

·
Registered
456 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeffs386 said:
are you kidding me?
your talking about a ZO6 and GTO then comparing them to a S2000 ?ROFLOL
Actually Yes. The stock Z06 was very fast on the straights and long sweeping turns but in the tight twisties it was cumbersome and harder to manage. Actually there was a new viper in the group I was in at Road Atlanta. The viper was very fast in the straights and slow in the tight turns as well. We would catch him in the tight turns and he would pull away from us on the straights. The Z06 that was running in the same group was running 145mph in the straights and my stock S2000 was running 128mph. At those sppeds covering that must feet per second 17 mph is quite a difference. My original question is that I would like ot see what a GTO would in the same straight. I am guessing it would fall somewhere in between. Ps... the Z06 had to quit early because he was cooking his breaks.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
LITTLEELVISDAN said:
Sounds like Groucho is very happy with the suspension mods he's put on an 04. I think he added front/rear sway bars & bushings, shocks/struts, and modified caster/camber. Glad to see someone else who cares about handling rather than just horsepower and 1/4 mile times. Let's see, a 1/4 mile run lasts 13 seconds. You can lap a track all day long. Much more enjoyment and challenge.

No matter what you do, you will not get a Grand Tourer like the GTO to feel like a lightweight short wheelbase spider. And that S2000 will never be as comfortable as a GTO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wing_Nut said:
Sounds like Groucho is very happy with the suspension mods he's put on an 04. I think he added front/rear sway bars & bushings, shocks/struts, and modified caster/camber. Glad to see someone else who cares about handling rather than just horsepower and 1/4 mile times. Let's see, a 1/4 mile run lasts 13 seconds. You can lap a track all day long. Much more enjoyment and challenge.

No matter what you do, you will not get a Grand Tourer like the GTO to feel like a lightweight short wheelbase spider. And that S2000 will never be as comfortable as a GTO.
Well put. The reason I am having so much trouble deciding this is because the wife wants me to keep the S2000 and pay it off so in a couple of years when the 06 427 Z06's are hiting he used market we can get one. Decisions, decisions. What to do...:willy: :willy: :willy:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Holden said:
Dont care what you compare it too still not a HOLDEN!

I know... Thank God! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't get me wrong, I am still seriously considering buying the GTO I am driving. But keep in mind that you probably don't want to get to confident when racing a S2000. A lot of those guys have highly modified cars and take on the likes of 911 turbo's. If I don't end up buying this GTO then I will fall back to my original plans and have a Eaton Roots type blower put on my S2000. With that kit installed the S2000 will put out 350 RWHP (this kit has already been dyno'd) which equates to 400 HP at the crank, which is what the GTO puts out stock. And at 1500 pounds lighter than a GTO it puts the S2000 in 911 and Z06 territory. I am glad to see the GTO community is as loyal to the GTO as the S2000 owners are about theirs. If this deal works out, I look forward to joining your community. If not, then this ricer will be looking for some GTO's to smoke (after some necessary modifications):D

·
Registered
344 Posts
LITTLEELVISDAN said:
Um! I thought the Holden was a Catera initially. At least that what the articles I have read say.
Catera is very similar to GTO same platform. Parts are much stronger on GTO and Goat has much more room under hood. Catera was built in Germany by Opel and has gas tank under car, if you ever want to see that setup or full size trunk. Strange to see same trim parts door handles and such. I work on a Catera with low Mi. very nice car, and work on one that’s worn out junk.6cyl is hard to work on.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I work at a Honda dealership and have driven a 2006 S2000.

The S2000 is a true roadster and is fun but if you are a performance nut, then you need to get the GTO....

Trying to compare the S2000 to a GTO is like comparing apples to oranges...they're both fruit but definitely not the same....

If you want something that handles great on the road and don't care if you sacrafice power, then stay with the S2000.

BUT....if you want soemthing with a "SET" then get the goat!!!!:D

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm sure a supercharged S2000 would be a killer roadster. But comparing an SC S2000 to a stock GTO isn't quite fair. Not only are they two different car types, but a stock compared to a modded car is generally not a fair comparison, though it can be a reasonable comparison when Car A + Mods > Car B (in performance) AND Car A + Mods < Car B (in price). But in this case, the S2000 cost the same or a tad more than the GTO. Put a supercharger on the GTO and you have a better comparison with the SC S2000 for drag times.

Either way, you can take an S2000 and try modding the engine to make it faster, or a GTO and mod the suspension to make it handle better. They are still different cars in the end.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.