Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have been browsing these forums for the past couple days and finally decided to register cause this seems like a very knowledgable community.

Now heres where i need assistance.

I have been seriously looking at GTO for the past couple days now. however i have been looking at them as a future purchase since the first debuted back in the summer of '04. Now the past couple of days i have been going to dealerships and looking around and starting the ever wonderful numbers game. now like i said i have been heavily reading the boards for a few days and i am confused as to exactley what incentives are being offered right now on what GTO's the dealer i spent time at today has 4 on the lot. they are asking 33-34k for all of them. 2 ar '05s and 2 are '06s an auto and stick in each model year. i'm trying to decide if i should buy new or get a used 04 cause they are like 19-21k in my area. what incentives are there, what should i be looking at paying OTD is there anything special going on to get rid of 05s over this model years.

unforuntaly i know the goat is pontiacs worst selling vehicle. but that usually means dealers want them gone and are willing to go lower to do so. any tips on going after these.

thanks for your alls patience. this is my first time buying a car like this on my own. so any and all help is apprciated. thanks a lot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would get at least an '05. I understand that's the first year they have the ls2 engine with 400hp. I paid $26K for mine with 5K mi. It was a dealer demo unit and never titled, but bought from a used car place. Kinda weird, but good for me. :)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
devilman2646 said:
hey guys i have been browsing these forums for the past couple days and finally decided to register cause this seems like a very knowledgable community.

Now heres where i need assistance.

I have been seriously looking at GTO for the past couple days now. however i have been looking at them as a future purchase since the first debuted back in the summer of '04. Now the past couple of days i have been going to dealerships and looking around and starting the ever wonderful numbers game. now like i said i have been heavily reading the boards for a few days and i am confused as to exactley what incentives are being offered right now on what GTO's the dealer i spent time at today has 4 on the lot. they are asking 33-34k for all of them. 2 ar '05s and 2 are '06s an auto and stick in each model year. i'm trying to decide if i should buy new or get a used 04 cause they are like 19-21k in my area. what incentives are there, what should i be looking at paying OTD is there anything special going on to get rid of 05s over this model years.

unforuntaly i know the goat is pontiacs worst selling vehicle. but that usually means dealers want them gone and are willing to go lower to do so. any tips on going after these.

thanks for your alls patience. this is my first time buying a car like this on my own. so any and all help is apprciated. thanks a lot.

Point 1 - GTO is FAR from the worse selling Pontiac. The 04's had trouble selling. Other than 04 the GTO has been an extremely good seller for Pontiac.

Incentives -
06 GTO - $500 Rebate

05 GTO - $2500 Rebate

Those are the incentives you have. A good value for a used 04 would be around 20k+/- depending on mileage.

A good deal would be around $28k/29k for an 05. $30k/31K for an 06.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just got a used '04 A4 w/ 14k for around $20k. While the added power of the LS2 would be nice the 350 fwhp and almost 300 rwhp of the LS1 is still plenty for me. Also for the $5k - $8k you'll save by going with the '04 you could easily mod the LS1 to meet or exceed LS2 power with room in your budget to spare (headers, cam, maybe heads, intake, ect). Honestly I like the slightly more subdued appearance of the '04 better myself. I definitely like the smooth rear bumber better. The hood scoop "nostrels" on the '05/'06 also don't really do much for me. I know I'm extremely happy with mine, both the car and the price i got. The GTO makes it extremely easy for me to "settle" for not getting a C5 vette!

·
Registered
432 Posts
The GTO is no Vette, but its close. I sold my C5 Vette to get the GTO. It is kind of nice having a back seat too, but I still miss the Vette a little. As far as GTO's go I would get an 05 if you can get it, but I got an 04 because of the money I saved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not to high-jack this thread, but I'm currently looking at a Steel Blue '05 M6 with 5500 miles, for $25,000. I'm assuming it was a GM corporate driven vehicle or a dealer demo, but I won't find out until I speak to the main seller guy tomorrow.

Here's the problem/difficulty; the car is 2400 miles away from me. :cool

Would I be correct in asking the dealer/salesman to take more high-res pictures for me once he realizes I'm interested in it? Will he even give me the time of day seeing as I'm all the way across the country?

I am thinking of having him snap close-up pictures on the paint on the more conspicous parts of the vehicle, close up leather-condition pictures of the front and back seats, and pictures of the dash with the ignition on, and the engine turned over, to see if it's throwing any CEL's.

Too much to ask? Maybe, but obviously I can't look it over with my own eyes...

Opinions!? :D

--Setherial

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the dealership last night came in at 29,200 for the black 05 m6 this within this price he never mentioned any 2500 rebates or anything like that so i am gonna go in tommorow and press him to add the 2500 to the price of 29,200 which he already quoted me. which should bring it down to 26,700. i know he wants to move these things so i i think it should work out with in a week or so.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
devilman2646 said:
the dealership last night came in at 29,200 for the black 05 m6 this within this price he never mentioned any 2500 rebates or anything like that so i am gonna go in tommorow and press him to add the 2500 to the price of 29,200 which he already quoted me. which should bring it down to 26,700. i know he wants to move these things so i i think it should work out with in a week or so.
You don't say where you're located. Best prices from my experience are to be had up North. My guess is if they quoted you a price, it probably includes the GM rebates, but certainly not any you may have through the GM card.

$29K for an '05 is high IMHO. $26,700 is reasonable.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
noz34me said:
You don't say where you're located. Best prices from my experience are to be had up North. My guess is if they quoted you a price, it probably includes the GM rebates, but certainly not any you may have through the GM card.

$29K for an '05 is high IMHO. $26,700 is reasonable.

26,700 for a brand new 05 is amazing. I am an employee and I would not be able to touch that price.

ALL holdback and employee cost with $2500 rebate still does not touch that #.

·
Registered
400 Posts
C5ORGTO said:
The GTO is no Vette, but its close. I sold my C5 Vette to get the GTO. It is kind of nice having a back seat too, but I still miss the Vette a little. As far as GTO's go I would get an 05 if you can get it, but I got an 04 because of the money I saved.
Ditto. I got my 04 M6 in Oct for 23K with 6K miles.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wouldn't rule out a low mile '04 either if the price was right.

I got my '04 A4 with 400 miles on it for $21,500 in Atlanta, GA. The difference in price compared to an '05 saved can buy one mod (supercharger) to totally blow away an '05.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thats very true. i havent totally ruled out the 04's however i have driven the 06 and i love the ls2 motor. i think there might be a small noticible difference between the two, though i cant say for sure since i havent driven an 04. also i like the looks of the 05 better because of the rear end. i like the true dual exhaust. 04's around me are goin for between 18-21k depending on mileage etc.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Have you driven one yet? That'll make your mind up in a hurry:cheers

Frankly, most of us quite glad there p-p-pontiac's "worst selling cars"

Not one on every street corner like a mustang, charger, vette, fbody, what else????? Audi, Infinity....... you get the picture:cool

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yep test drove one for about 15 miles monday night. i've made up my mind as to it being my next car now its just getting the right price that i am comfortabel with. but yes that is exactley why i want one. there are like 2 in my area. they are such sleepers and nobody has one. i love it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.