Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 68 is losing voltage as I drive. I charged my battery and hooked it back up. It began around 12 on the volt gauge then as I drove it it went down to 10. My alt and voltage regulator r new. Would it be a short somewhere?

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Just because the ALT and Voltage regulator are new, doesn't mean they are working correctly...there are a lot of defective parts around these days. I would check the alternator and BELT and connections first, then the regulator.....JUST SAYIN...Eric:cheers

·
Registered
727 Posts
Just because the ALT and Voltage regulator are new, doesn't mean they are working correctly...there are a lot of defective parts around these days. I would check the alternator and BELT and connections first, then the regulator.....JUST SAYIN...Eric:cheers
^X2 AND

Check all the ground connections, especially regulator to firewall and block to firewall.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
...and, have you added any additional electrical load to the car? Big kicker stereo? Electric cooling fans? If so, the problem could be that the stock alternator just can't keep up.

Bear

·
Registered
554 Posts
slapdash, stick it together, have a brew...

Ha! Just installed new alternator last weekish, and had to clock it- was just way off... Looked inside and saw the main wire from the windings that go to the inside of the threaded terminal lug, was on the lug, but MINUS the attaching nut, and the ground was just hanging on by a thread. Took it back & had them test it- of course it tested bad... I pulled the wire off it just to make sure it didn't work. Got a different style, different manufacturer. It said: hencho en Mexico- I told them the workers had too much cervesas -didn't tell them anything else. I wasn't too happy though! If I didn't look at the insides, I would have never known, and it may have charged initially, but would surely have gone out at any time! That's new crap part #1 this past week. I will be posting on crap part #2 here, presently... Stay tuned. It's a real good one...:shutme:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::shutme

1 - 5 of 5 Posts