Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get some advice from GTO owners as well as any dealers and techs about an issue with the value of my car post-accident. I was rear ended over the summer, $4250 in damages, cosmetic damage only as the body shop tells me. No frame or drivetrain damage, just rear bumper, trunk lid, trunk floor, and the left exhaust. Well, I got a check for the damages from the insurance company of the punk that hit me, but I think I should be compensated for the loss of value of the car, as I'm sure the accident is registered on the car's vin number, thus affecting the resale value. Calling these people on the phone is like talking to a stone wall, they can never answer my question, and always say they'll get back to me but never do. This is an awful situation, I'm really thinking about hiring a lawyer. Any advice is much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
I think you're out of luck on that one, but a lawyer will direct you.

The VIN will NOT indicate any accidents. The VIN cannot be changed.
A carfax would reflect it for private sale if you'd sell it in the future and someone ran a check on it. If in the future you'd trade it, I doubt the dealer would run a history check. Give it a few months and do a carfax on it and see if it shows. If it don't your in the clear as far as it being documented.

Depending on how well the car was repainted, most people will have no clue, but someone with a trained eye will be able to see a difference from factory to repaint.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Most dealerships on a trade won't even care if the car has been hit, unless it's obvious. Their goal is to put you in a new car and resell your old car as quick as possible. When I worked for Pontiac all the used car manager would do to inspect a potential trade is drive it a mile, and run the a-c to make sure it works.:cool

1 - 3 of 3 Posts