Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As anyone else had their security code card lost by the dealer ?. If so what did they do about it ?. GM appears not to want to do anything, I really don't understand why GM won't stand behind GTO's when issues like this happen !!!!

:confused
Seattle GTO

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hah- mine was missing when I got the car, it was an "argument" between myself and the dealer for about 3 months. The sales manager kept telling me "I'm working on it"... Finally spoke with the service dept about it and they said they never heard of it and looked up my key codes for me and said that is all that is available and I'd have to call Pontiac for the rest because they do not have access to it. I called a friend who works in a Pontiac parts dept and it took him about 15 seconds to get me my key code, IMMO code (immobolizer security code), key frequency and stereo code. He said the other dealer was full of it because anyone with key code access can get the same info. Contact the Service or Parts Manager and tell them you need it all and it is accessable with the key code lookup. They need the vin and current license plate # to look it up. Good luck, if you dealer is anything like the jerkoffs that sold me my car- you'll need it :).
Joe

·
Registered
569 Posts
Seattle GTO said:
These codes play a key role in overall security system loaded in the GTO !!!

Yes, they do! I needed my IMMO code when I got my Ed Wright tune and the car actually had to be towed to a dealer to have the code re-entered after I got the car back or it wouldn't start :(. I have heard that other tuners use software where this isn't an issue.
Joe

·
Registered
569 Posts
Seattle GTO said:
I've also been told that the car's retail value (Resale) is lower if the card isn't with the car. !!!!

I can *possibly* see that being the case if the buyer knows what they are looking for, but as long as you get the numbers yourself, I can't see it being a big deal. The dealer can get it for you, they are just being dicks if they say no. I had the GM document that said how to look up the IMMO code and it said "anyone with key code access can look it up". When I got my #'s from my friend, I printed two labels with all the info- one is on the inside cover of my owners manual and one is no the folder with all the papers from when I purchased the car.
Joe

·
Registered
569 Posts
rickbrick said:
What is a security code card?
It is a card that has all the vehicle security info- key codes, stereo code, immobilizer code (a 4 digit "pin" number needed for the ECU and BCM to communicate) and key frequency. It is *supposed* to be given to you by the dealer when you buy it, but unfortunately, most sales departments are filled with mindless drones who have no clue about it.
Joe

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
security code card

This issue was discussed on here before.... I didn't know at the time of purchase that I was to have a security code card. I never got one even though you are supposed to get one. Other's on here have said they found it in with the spare tire, some have said they had it in the glove box, and some said it was in the owner's manual. My dealer did not know anything about it. Through this forum I found we are to have one.... What I did......

I called the dealer and informed him of the security code card. He made a phone call to GM and they gave him a site that only dealers have access to. Through my vin number my dealer was able to get me the codes for my car. He faxed them to me.

If a dealer tells you that what I am saying is not true.. then they are misinformed or they have not checked on this issue, because the dealers are the only ones that can get you the security codes. They should know about it and if they don't all they have to do is make a call through the proper channels. As I stated, only the dealers can obtain the code information.

You will need this information if you need your stereo frequency, and pin, ignition key, IMMO code, and glove box code. Should your computer need reset, or you need pertinent information regarding the codes and you do not have them, you are screwed. At that time when the service dept. cannot get your car running then they will have to get the codes from GM. The dealer has a responsibility to get you these codes. Make them do their job.

·
Registered
738 Posts
same thing with a diffrent car grand marqis

We did not get are car key code until the car was paid off. This might one reson why some people did not get theirs.

just my 2 cents.:D

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
MJGTOWISH said:
same thing with a diffrent car grand marqis

We did not get are car key code until the car was paid off. This might one reson why some people did not get theirs.

just my 2 cents.:D
Not getting a key code until the car is paid off?? As far as the dealer is concerned the car is paid off when you drive it off their lot. :confused

Holding key codes or any other codes for that matter hostage until you satisfy a loan is ridiculous. The codes come with the car, period. Or in GTO's case. supposed to come with them. I just stated the steps in getting them.

·
Registered
569 Posts
GTO judge said:
Furthermore regarding this subject...... Once you have your card....

DO NOT keep the security codes in your car. Keep them at home in a safe place.

Good point, but I don't bother. It is no more at risk with them than it is without them IMHO- but it is a good idea to keep them seperate for a piece of mind.
Joe

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought mine used and I wasn't aware of any card. My card is currently immobilized in the work parking lot, so I will have to get it towed.

Is there any way to have the immobilizer disabled? I already hate it.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
I bought mine used and I wasn't aware of any card. My card is currently immobilized in the work parking lot, so I will have to get it towed.

Is there any way to have the immobilizer disabled? I already hate it.
Your Pontiac Service Dept can get you the codes. Only they have access to do that information.

The immobilizer as in the wheels are locked and the car cannot be moved? If the car needs towed, the towing company can get it moved.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.