Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming home from work going across the bay with my wife in the passenger seat and my buddy from work that car pools with us in the back seat and came up on a beautiful Charger SRT8 that was black with gray/silver racing stripes. It's windows were tinted dark and was hands down the best looking charger I've seen yet.

Anyways, I pass it up on the left straining to see in through the tinted windows to make sure it wasn't a cop and I could see the sillouette of big wild hair everywhere so I assumed it was a woman. I didn't hammer down but did speed up 10 miles an hour or so. The charger got in the lane behind me and got up behind me waiting for it's chance to get back over in the right hand lane and back up beside me, which came soon.

The traffic was light and when the charger got up beside me I nailed it and they nailed it at the same time. We both took off down the interstate hand in hand up to about 110-120ish, by then we both had to let off due to traffic. Neither one of us pulled a millimeter on each other, and I had 2 extra bodies in the car compared to the charger's one. Come to find out, it wasn't a woman, it was just a dude with wild hair. My wife got a good look at him as we were running side by side and for once she wasn't freaking out bitching up a storm.

Moral of the story is, I believe I would've pulled away from him if I had only myself in the car. I've noticed huge performance differences in my goat with 1, 2, 3, and 4 people in it. I'm sure you all have too. I've got a Diablo Predator tune and a K&N CAI, but that's probably only good for about 15 HP with the two combined, if I'm lucky. I have no dyno numbers to prove it.

One of our newer bosses at work that also lives across the bay with me and I've seen on his motorcyle passing him a time or 2 on the way to work just purchased himself a Chrystler 300C SRT8. I'm looking forward to finding some open road with him real soon.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Nice job. I must say though, unless you guys did it from 3 honks, a dig or something so legite like that, its really no contest to assume it. I mean, I know from facts that our GTO's are just a bit faster than all the SRT8's, but when it comes down to a random "pulling on each other", whos to say he was'nt punching it until he realised you were, meaning you got the head start, and he still got up right next to you. Although you did have 3 people in your car like you mentioned. Good stuff though its about time more of us teach them a lesson. :cheers

·
Registered
377 Posts
I know from facts that our GTO's are just a bit faster than all the SRT8's,
Yeah right. Driver's race all the way. :rolleyes:

OP: Nice run. What speed did you start at?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
We took off from a 70 mile roll (70ish).
That's a strong point for the SRT cars. They definately have a top end advantage even though the GTO is more aerodynamic. Deuuuce will know for certain, but the SRT8 cars hit mid 170's ungoverned. I think the best I've seen for the LS2 GTO is mid 160's ungoverned.

GTO's come out of the hole better and run the 1/4 just about even. The SRT's have a higher trap speed. Seems like a seesaw with no one getting an advantage till you get above 125-140 where the SRT cars slowly pull.

Great run Dusty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The SRTs are great cars...but i would be surprised by them having a higher top speed. They are kind of like a very fast Brick...overpowering the wind resistance.I have had mine to 173 and was under 5K rpms? SO i don't really know what the the GTO can do...eventually drag/air resistance gets any vehicle. Don't know.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I have had mine to 173 and was under 5K rpms?

If we are talking about mph... Ive seen plenty of videos of GTOs topping off at 167. Maybe those were auto, but I don't see how it can make such a big difference. 173 at 5k rpm, do you have something done to your car?

·
Registered
377 Posts
That's a strong point for the SRT cars. They definately have a top end advantage even though the GTO is more aerodynamic. Deuuuce will know for certain, but the SRT8 cars hit mid 170's ungoverned. I think the best I've seen for the LS2 GTO is mid 160's ungoverned.

GTO's come out of the hole better and run the 1/4 just about even. The SRT's have a higher trap speed. Seems like a seesaw with no one getting an advantage till you get above 125-140 where the SRT cars slowly pull.

Great run Dusty.
Actually 70mph is the dead-spot for 3rd gear. I always give the advice to start well under 70mph for a 2nd gear roll-on.

True, the GTO is more aerodynamic. The Charger's cd is .355 and an LS1 GTO is .31. But you must calculate the frontal area so the total value for the Charger is about 9.159 sqr feet, the GTO 7.22 sqr feet.

I disagree they come out of the hole better. The GTO is notoriously difficult to launch, the SRT-8 just needs normal tire psi, about 1/2 tank of gas and initial throttle to get the weight transfer, then WOT. 1.9X 60fts are standard that way.

True, driver's race though and they do top out at 173mph. That's redline in 4th gear, a 1:1 ratio and the 3:06 Final Drive.

·
Registered
289 Posts
One of my friends has an SRT Charger w/ a few mods, and it's damn quick. I'm pretty sure he'd take me. As Deuuce said though, stock for stock it's a total driver's race.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have drive the jeep cherokee, charger, and 300 srt-8 and they are all faster than my 04 GTO. I do have a friend that has a charger srt-8 with a pro-charger on it and is now having it stroked to a 392 so it should be real fast. My favorite though is the Jeep SRT-8.

·
Registered
32 Posts
All the mods are in my sig. 300hp. Have'nt gone to the track yet. The car spins real badly with the gears so I figure it's not worth my time with stock tires. I'm hoping to run a 12.6-12.7 on DRs if I practice

·
Registered
377 Posts
All the mods are in my sig. 300hp. Have'nt gone to the track yet. The car spins real badly with the gears so I figure it's not worth my time with stock tires. I'm hoping to run a 12.6-12.7 on DRs if I practice
Gears really make a difference.

There is a S197 owner on LS1tech, stock gears, 317rwhp on 93Oct tune with full exhaust and other mods claiming a 111mph trap speed, enough to take a stock SRT-8. I'm having doubts about the 111mph speed, but I guess it's within statisical possibility?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would say the 111mph trap speed sounds a little high to me with stock gears but it's within the realm of possibility. There are guys with just an intake/93 tune with no other mods that run [email protected] So figuring his other mods which at 317 is full bolt-on a 111 trap is possible even with the 3.55s

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I had a dollar for every rustang gt that provoked a fight with me FIRST, that I had to spank and put in his place... My last go 'round on the way home from work with my standard 2 passengers in the car along with myself was an M3. This was the classic Beemer dark blue that just about seems to be the color of every M3 I've ever seen... but I digress... It wasn't the new M3 with the bubble on the hood, but an M3 just the same......he's losing sleep at night cursing his German engineering as we speak...

Back to the rustang folks...Word to the goat people out there... My wife's boss just bought a salleen rustang....oooohhhhhh...... just so you all know, there are stages of salleen rustangs just like alot of the other special edition rustangs that are nothing more than ground effects body kits with big flashy rims and try to scare you into thinking they have something. I looked him square in the eye (after looking over his car prior and seeing no SC badges or cube in. bragging rights and the standard plain jane ho-hum rustang interior with the 140 mph topped out speedo....ooooohhhhhhh) and asked him if he wanted to race.

At least he was honest with me......and said no, that I'd blow him off the road..... ha ha ha. At least that salleen sticker across the top of the windshield and the ground effects and the corvette style exhaust coming out the rear under the license plate of the car made it "LOOK" mean.....cough cough..... If I'm paying that kind of scratch to modify my car........it's going underneath the hood!

·
Registered
377 Posts
....he's losing sleep at night cursing his German engineering as we speak...
I guarantee that's NOT the case unless he bought it for drag racing. Which is also NOT the case.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
I guarantee that's NOT the case unless he bought it for drag racing. Which is also NOT the case.
Well I disagree because 5 years ago when I had my '93 Vette a clown in the same colored M3 (whatever blue that's called) as dustyminpin described always try to run me when we met about twice a month coming home from work. At 140+ he always seemed to hit a brick wall which gave him another notch in the loss column against me. Maybe it's different for some but for myself and dustyminpin it's the same.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well I disagree because 5 years ago when I had my '93 Vette a clown in the same colored M3 (whatever blue that's called) as dustyminpin described always try to run me when we met about twice a month coming home from work. At 140+ he always seemed to hit a brick wall which gave him another notch in the loss column against me. Maybe it's different for some but for myself and dustyminpin it's the same.
Well come on now, racing for fun vs. losing sleep due to regretting a nicer (yes, nicer) choice in cars are entirely different. It's laughable to think otherwise.

Anyway, neither of you were trapping in the 140s, so it sounds to me like it would beat you in the 1/4 mile and you won on the top end due to gearing. So he just should have flashed his hazards sooner? ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts