Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 6M GTO with less than 600 miles on it. It has developed a very loud and annoying “ticking” noise. It happens in any gear (louder in the lower gears) and is most noticeable when approaching a stoplight. Example being, cruising say at 45mph and coming up on a red stoplight, let off the gas and allow the car to slow on its own… once past the point where the exhaust quiets down a bit you here this loud ticking coming from somewhere under the car. The ticking stops when either the clutch or the accelerator is depressed. I did try the search engine here at the site but didn’t come up with anything. Any thoughts or ideas as to what the cause could be would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

·
Registered
275 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
Maybe there's some change in your woman's bra rattling around.
:lol:

I don't have a GTO yet, but I know my current car had the same issue a few years ago and as it turns out, it was the fuel injectors I was hearing. Under load, it minified somewhat but DID sound as though it was coming from underneath.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys; I am calling the service dept right now to set up an appointment. I was able to duplicate the sound sitting in my garage with the car in gear and taping the throttle. I am wondering if there is a loose heat shield or something along those lines... other than this little gripe, man I love this car! Definite wolf in sheep’s clothing!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I've read elsewhere of number exhaust assembly problems. As long as you're leaving the car at the dealership -- you might as well have them doublecheck everything from stem to stern underneath. Stuff like exhaust shields, clamps, even look for system leaks -- as I've heard a bunch of people had them. Anyway, good luck solving your problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I fired up my GTO the other day, no more annoying ticking sound. I don’t know why, I didn’t do anything to remedy it, and dealer never had a chance to look at it. I did notice however that the 6M is a bit tougher to get into gear now. There is a definite “notch” for lack of better word before it seats entirely into gear that wasn’t there before. :confused

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Hmmm. That still might be a throwout bearing. Usually, it makes a squealing kind of sound instead of a ticking. A sound that stops the instant you put any kind of pressure on the clutch.

You never know, something might have taken a few miles to get seated correctly or broken in. All you can do is monitor it and put it on your list of things for the dealer to look at the next time you take it into the shop.

Good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There was a TSB out on the 04's regarding loose presure plate bolts. I'M not sure of a vin break point or what the details were. Certainly clutch usage and engine speed would have an effect on when the clicking takes place. Have you noticed a difference in the feel of the clutch pedal? If memory serves, the fix was adding a thread locking material (Locktite) to the bolt threads.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks b_a_betterperson. I’ve racked up around 700miles, so it’s about due for that first oil change... I will request that the dealership take a gander at it then…

DaveGesp -nope no change in the clutch feel, only the shifter. And it’s not like its an unreasonable change... just not near as smooth as it used to be. Its as if you hit a wall prior to the stick seating fully in place. Takes a bit of pressure to get it where it needs to be. I am assuming that this is normal as I have read many posts on the “notchiness” of the 6M tremec.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Capo said:
Thanks b_a_betterperson. I’ve racked up around 700miles, so it’s about due for that first oil change... I will request that the dealership take a gander at it then…

DaveGesp -nope no change in the clutch feel, only the shifter. And it’s not like its an unreasonable change... just not near as smooth as it used to be. Its as if you hit a wall prior to the stick seating fully in place. Takes a bit of pressure to get it where it needs to be. I am assuming that this is normal as I have read many posts on the “notchiness” of the 6M tremec.

I'm not so sure the notchiness is Tremec. More then likely the shifter. I still like the days when I had an M22 Muncie with a Hurst Compitition Plus shifter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.