Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lou's short shifter

Anyone running the lou's shifter. I was wondering how hard is it to remove the old knob without busting parts and does it need to be glued back on.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
It's moderately hard but very do-able. You have to remove the screw in the console front compartment and pop the top of the console off. I think stock there's a white boot that comes off from 4 nuts underneath in the drive tunnel. Take the two bolts to remove the handle and boot. Flip the boot over and look at the underside of the knob. There's 4 clips inside helping hold on the knob. Pry enough to release and insert something like a toothpick under each tab. It helps if you can put the handle in a vice but pull the knob off. It comes off much easier and less chance of breaking a tab compared to the usual he-man method. Bolt on the Lou's using red or blue LocTite (I like red but it's harder to get off without heating if you need to later). You can put a small amount of silicone on the Lou's and pop the boot/knob on. Re-install everything. I think most rattle is from loose bolts, broken clips and no silicone.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Install

So when I install the new knob do I need to use silicone and are the clips in the knob available for purchase? If they fail or are damaged then I would think the threaded stick and ball would be the smart way to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts