Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody is finally starting to bring their cars out of hibernation down here on the gulf coast. This was the coldest winter we've had in 25 years (according to the weather channel and news reports) so I haven't seen as many cars the past few months as I'm used to seeing.

Got to run an LT1 Z28 yesterday. The dude had a mullet and all. I really got a kick out of it. I blew the poor guys doors off. I wished he wouldn't have challenged me. His wife was with him and he had 2 kids in the back and he still had a go at me. I wouldn't have done that. Any ideas what a LT1 Z28's hp rating is? (keep in mind he had an MSD ignition and Flowmaster sticker on the back glass so that's got to be worth something...).

I also had the pleasure of handing a Nissan Maxima 3.5 his arse this morning on the way to work. The dude cut me off on the interstate was playing cat and mouse the whole way across the bay. When we got out of the tunnel and the interstate opened up to 4 lanes (he couldn't block them all) I thoroughly vanquished him. I don't know what some of these people are thinking. I'm STILL waiting for my first run in with a Challenger SRT8 or a '10 Camaro SS. Those will be happy days...

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
An LT1 Z28 is around 215-225 at the wheels. GM played with the ratings so much that it isn't fair to quote ratings.

The Flowmasters added about 10 hp. The MSD was probably to replace the crappy Optispark that the LT1 had. Not much power bump, just better reliability. Give him credit for a CAI too and he was in the 250ish at the wheels mark.

The LT1 is an iron block so he weighed about 100 pounds more than an LS1 car too. Stock it was a solid mid 14's car, just about equal with the 99-04 Mustang GT. With the mods that guy had 13.9 but the extra passenger weight probably put him back in the low 14's.

Nice kills.

We were 37 degrees here in Orlando last night and it's going right back there again. High today was 57.

Way too cold.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fergy, once again, you are a plethura of knowledge. Thank you. Yes, it was colder here today as well. High 58 on the shoreline.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have a 94 z28. Its rated 275hp at the flywheel and 325ft lb torque. It is a lot slower than my GTO.

·
Registered
342 Posts
my 97 z28 ran [email protected] best

i had msd ignition everything, k&n intake, bbk shorties and 210,000 on original everything.

i will say ive taken a lot of cars in 1st gear in my maro, including a 04 s/c'd stang once. but by the time i hit 3rd gear its pretty much over to any faster car...

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Everybody is finally starting to bring their cars out of hibernation down here on the gulf coast. This was the coldest winter we've had in 25 years (according to the weather channel and news reports) so I haven't seen as many cars the past few months as I'm used to seeing.

Got to run an LT1 Z28 yesterday. The dude had a mullet and all. I really got a kick out of it. I blew the poor guys doors off. I wished he wouldn't have challenged me. His wife was with him and he had 2 kids in the back and he still had a go at me. I wouldn't have done that. Any ideas what a LT1 Z28's hp rating is? (keep in mind he had an MSD ignition and Flowmaster sticker on the back glass so that's got to be worth something...).

I also had the pleasure of handing a Nissan Maxima 3.5 his arse this morning on the way to work. The dude cut me off on the interstate was playing cat and mouse the whole way across the bay. When we got out of the tunnel and the interstate opened up to 4 lanes (he couldn't block them all) I thoroughly vanquished him. I don't know what some of these people are thinking. I'm STILL waiting for my first run in with a Challenger SRT8 or a '10 Camaro SS. Those will be happy days...
Sounds like you wasted your gas on both those cars:)

The LT1's were down low torque monsters, before those was the L98s TPI motors. Till this day the LT1 was the best sounding, loudest, modern motor GM offered.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
I wished he wouldn't have challenged me. His wife was with him and he had 2 kids in the back and he still had a go at me. I wouldn't have done that.
But you did. If you really felt that way, you shouldn't have raced him. Seeing the situation, you never should have went with him.... JMO

For what it's worth, it's been warm around here lately, upper 30's.....

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
60 degrees out this morning and a light rain. If it wasn't for the drizzle, it'd be PERFECT Stang hunting weather...

·
Registered
353 Posts
tomorrows high = 6, wed = 4. I wont get to drive my GTO for at least two more months! Thats North Dakota for you though! Wouldnt waste my gas on a Maxima either but anybody raced a 370Z yet?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haven't raced a 370Z but did race and beat a 350Z NISMO last summer. I had to strain really hard to see through his tinted windows once he caught back up to me on the interstate, but I think he was crying...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a guy in a Hemi Challenger race me on Airport in Mobile recently. I missed a shift from 2nd to 3rd, trying to force the gate on the hurst and still smoked him. Thats what 550 HP does to 345 HP. Love my Goat!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts