Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to having a gto, but the clutch pedal feels soft, compared to my trans ams. especially shifting at 4000+rpms. Ive replaced leaky slave cylinder, replaced the master cylinder, vacuum bled, power bled and manually bled the clutch system. any ideas much appreciated

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
What clutch do you have in it? If it's the stock one they have a weak pressure plate and will cause hangups at higher RPM. Unlike fbodies the master cylinder is rarely needing replacement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a stock clutch in it right now, just bought a spec stage 3 clutch from a friend of mine for cheap with flywheel pressure plate and all. Just haven't installed it due to my clutch issue I am having

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well changed out the clutch with spec stage 3 clutch, replaced master and slave cylinder, I can take off, and shift at high rpms, but the clutch pedal still feels soft, like 1-2,2-3 and then 3-4 the pedal feels like it wants to stay on the floor kinda slowly get up.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
Did you measure for shimming? Did you install a remote bleeder (a lot more important than that master). Spec has an issue in my opinion with their tolerances. I had fits when I had a 3+. At any rate I would bleed the crap out of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not measure for shimming, but i just noticed that with clutch pedal all the way down, and i rev the car up to like 5500 the car kinda scoots forward like i am releasing clutch pedal. any ideas

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
If it's going forward the pressure plate is not disengaging. Bleeding may help although like I said I had all kinds of issues with a Spec 3+. I only got 18,000 trouble-filled miles like you described before I threw it away and put in a Monster 3. I didn't like that clutch for driving (harsh engagement, chatter) but at least it worked. Don't skip measurement. It's a crap shoot if you don't.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, i think this is my last summer with this clutch in it. Did you have any problems with the monster clutch? low pedal or shimming? or shifting?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts