Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a engine swap for my Goat. I was initially thinking of a LS1 or LS6 but now I'm thinking of a LQ9 because of the larger displacement and higher compression. Has anyone done this? Will there be any clearance engine with a stock hood? I am planning on bolting it up to a 200r4 or 700r4 for the overdrive gear. I want to put a supercharger on it too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I hate to be backwards but I have a hard apreciating a lagitamet muscle car with a modern fuel injected motor. You know what they say about opintions)0(. I've owned a ls1 gto and a 455 gto, the 455 one scares the hell out of me more often then the ls1. Diffrent type of power I guess.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eric- if I go with the 4L80e won't I have to cut up the transmission tunnel and a little of the firewall to make it fit? I hate cutting up cars like that, especially a GTO. Mustangs...sure...I'd cut one of those in half in need be

Skape- I know how you feel. I had a 54 Chevy Pick-up in high school with a 454 in it and I had to change my shorts from time to time. With gas prices the way they are though, and it looks like they are just gunna go up, I'd like something that's a little more tunable so I can still drive my car when ever I want. Not just when I save $300 to fill it up (exaggerating). Plus I drive from Colorado to Arizona pretty regularly to see my folks so the 4th gear would be nice on the highways.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have never read where the floor had to be modified on the 4l80e. I believe it is only longer then most automatic GM transmissions. Now the newer manual transmissions do need some mods, depending on which one your using.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
does gear vendors fit without modifying the floor?
I believe so. Check out: Gear Vendors under/overdrive auxiliary transmissions Hot Rods, GM 3-Speed Automatic Performance Car/Street Rod.
It installs by replacing the trailhousing on the existing auto transmission. If any mods are needed, they'll be slight. You'll probably need to have the driveshaft shortened. Other advantages are that the GV unit doesn't need any sort of computer to control it, and also is much stronger and can handle WAY more torque without breaking than any of the overdrive transmissions --- but then that wouldn't be a problem anyway if you were to go ahead with plans to swap in that Chevy motor... :rofl:

Bear

1 - 9 of 9 Posts