Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!! My q is: What is the reccommended breakin for the LS2? When i got my '05, dealership told me to stay below 4,000rpm for first 1000 miles. Well i took a road trip past weekend and now she has 1100 miles on her. Is this good enough for the break-in period?? Could use some advise on this matter. When i bought her she had 31 miles on display.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Owners manual

Elusive document in the glove box (a.k.a. owner's manual.) 500 miles under 55 mph and avoid steady throttle during break-in period. 200 miles to season the brake pads before hard braking, something like that...you should read. Not sure how 55 mph translates with a M6, but what the heck, I am following it. Sounds an awful lot like exactly what my 96 LT1 and 99LS1 manuals said. Couldn't hurt.

The first GTO I test drove, the salesman punched before the temp gauge is moved off the bottom. I traveled 100 miles to buy a red/red A4 only to find it had 250 miles on it! Not a deal breaker, but I managed to buy one right off the truck, six miles on the OD, no body test drove. There will be more metal in your pan from the first 500 miles than the next 10,000. Must mean something.

I always follow the owners manual, figure they know more than me. I can tell you from experience that this car isn't remotely fast if you shift below 4K RPM!

450 miles and counting...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
2005Goat said:
My break in period was about 8 miles.
Kinda funny when I read this. My father bought a spanking new 64 Chevelle SS 327/M4 Black on Black convertible the year before I was born. He showed me pictures of the car and proceeded to tell me that he roasted the tires almost continuously for the first 5 miles. When I brought my goat home I called him and told him about it. He said is it fast? I said I read the owners manual at the dealer for break-in before I left the lot and had no idea how it ran (babied it). He said Son, you wont seat the rings if you dont run it like you stole it. So since then I've learned to control the M6 w/out TC at 6 grand with 450 miles on it. Pops keeps asking me to bring it over so he can break it in for me.. :cool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Break it in like yer gonna use it.
I have ALWAYS waited till mine warmed up... changed the oil... and then hammered the **** out of them.
I change the oil at 500, 1000, 2000, and 3000.
Never had an engine go weak or die on me due to break in.


Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
i know what you mean i had a salesman start one up for me and he pumped the gas pedal four times then turned the key and reved the piss out of is i'm sure the oil wasn't even flowing yet do they realy think they have to do all that in the age of fuel injection or are they trying to sell the car with the sound
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Break-in Comedy

I used to insist on the car in the lot with almost 0 miles on it. When I picked up the 05 Goat last week my choices were 1 w/ 186 miles and 1 w/96 miles. I was queezy about both. After doing my research on break-in (this site is great), I think the next time I am going to request they sell me the demo !!!!!!!

( Took the one with 96 mi. because the color. )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I took it easy on mine for the first 600 miles (great gas mileage), just changed oil at 1000 miles and thrashing it (gas mileage got real bad after break in) !!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Hello everyone! I just joined the forum tonight and have been reading a lot of posts. I am learning a lot about my new GTO. I got a 05 Black/Black A4 with 25 miles on it last Wedn. I wasnt sure on how to break it in until now, which I am still a little confused on what the best thing to do would be.
I previously drove a 92 Chevy Beretta for 5 years, so jumping behind the wheel of a new GTO made it a challange to stay off the gas. I went 500 miles taking it easy for the most part, but when the 500 mark turned I opened it up.
From reading the previous posts I am assuming I should change my oil at 1000 miles?? If this is so, then what should I look for in my oil?? Just metal shavings and things of that sort?
Sorry about all the questions, I am just freaking out a little. I am hoping that I didnt screw something up in the future or even now by not properly breaking it in.
I would appreciate any advice! Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,445 Posts
Puckulator said:
Hello everyone! I just joined the forum tonight and have been reading a lot of posts. I am learning a lot about my new GTO. I got a 05 Black/Black A4 with 25 miles on it last Wedn. I wasnt sure on how to break it in until now, which I am still a little confused on what the best thing to do would be.
I previously drove a 92 Chevy Beretta for 5 years, so jumping behind the wheel of a new GTO made it a challange to stay off the gas. I went 500 miles taking it easy for the most part, but when the 500 mark turned I opened it up.
From reading the previous posts I am assuming I should change my oil at 1000 miles?? If this is so, then what should I look for in my oil?? Just metal shavings and things of that sort?
Sorry about all the questions, I am just freaking out a little. I am hoping that I didnt screw something up in the future or even now by not properly breaking it in.
I would appreciate any advice! Thanks
As long as you vary engine rpm for the first 500 miles and do not beat the crap out of the car you should be fine for engine break-in. The brakes need between 100-200 miles worth of easy braking to allow them to seat to the rotors.
As for the 1000 mile oil change, the API and GM, as well as every other auto manufacturer say that it is not needed. The API has done tests that show changing your oil too early is as bad as changing it to infrequently. Unless you race your car a lot, I would just follow the oil change light. GM has put extensive research into the oil life monitor, and it is a more accurate indicator as to when you need to change the oil. It measures run time, oil temperature, engine revolutions, etc... to determine when you need to change the oil.
Just my.02.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
fergyflyer said:
As long as you vary engine rpm for the first 500 miles and do not beat the crap out of the car you should be fine for engine break-in. The brakes need between 100-200 miles worth of easy braking to allow them to seat to the rotors.
As for the 1000 mile oil change, the API and GM, as well as every other auto manufacturer say that it is not needed. The API has done tests that show changing your oil too early is as bad as changing it to infrequently. Unless you race your car a lot, I would just follow the oil change light. GM has put extensive research into the oil life monitor, and it is a more accurate indicator as to when you need to change the oil. It measures run time, oil temperature, engine revolutions, etc... to determine when you need to change the oil.
Just my.02.
Thanks for the input! :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
I beat the piss out of mine with 1 mile on it when I took it for a test drive. I now have 420 miles and nothings changed. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
You guys who believe in this "break in period" are perpetuating a myth.

Winding up these motors when new, cold and oil-starved is one of the best possible things you can do. This process breaks free excess metal particles and redistributes these flecks, chunks, and various jagged bits via the oil system throughout the engine, making weaker components of the motor stronger.

Duh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,445 Posts
Groucho said:
You guys who believe in this "break in period" are perpetuating a myth.

Winding up these motors when new, cold and oil-starved is one of the best possible things you can do. This process breaks free excess metal particles and redistributes these flecks, chunks, and various jagged bits via the oil system throughout the engine, making weaker components of the motor stronger.

Duh.
This guy is an Engineer, so you gotta believe him. LOL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
My thoughts on break-in, mostly formulated from surfing the vette forums for the last three years and racing for the last two and a half...

- Varying the rpm for the first 500 miles, up to 5000 rpm or so, helps seat the rings. If you don't do this you won't really "hurt" your motor, but you may not seat the rings well. Thus, you may have a little more blow-by of the rings which will cost you a few HP and might result in a higher oil consumption rate, neither of which are what I would call dangerous to your motor.

Most of the SCCA T1/T2 driver's don't break-in their motors at all. My current motor was broken-in for two hours of freeway driving, then raced in the 2004 SCCA National Championship Runoffs. It works fine. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over motor break-in.

- Varying and limiting the speed (mph) is for the gear teeth and other components in the M6. I'm honestly not sure how important this is. I followed this guidance for my vette and have gotten 16k miles, 10 or so driver's education events, and something like 27 SCCA races with no problems. I know other racers who destroy their tranny in a few days... I'm not sure if these are related. I may just be easy on trannys.

As for oil changes, in general I agree with the guidance posted above to follow the oil life monitor, but... I personally feel the first oil change should come early. I did mine at 800 miles. I feel this way as there may be a lot of initial wear in the motor and lots of wear products. If you watch used oil analysis, you will see these aluminum small block chevy's are still "breaking-in" for tens of thousands of miles. The wear appears to be an exponential decay, which means the worst comes first. If your filter gets full of wear products it may stop filtering and the bypass may open meaning you are getting no filtering - not good.

As a note, I never "drop the hammer" on my motor until the oil is at least 150 degrees. I know others who use a little less conservative 120 degrees. Keep in mind that your oil is about six times more viscous (read "thicker") at 100F than it is at 212F. It does not flow well at those low temps and you risk starving a bearing if you redline it under load at cold oil temps. :cheers
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top