Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do they compare in performance and price? And do they differ much when it comes to installing them?

- Long tubes: I'd go with something like SLPs w/ cats
- Shorties w/ hi-flow cat'd mid-pipe

·
Registered
910 Posts
As far as I'm concerned shorties are a waste of money. Why go thru all the effort of installing them when your HP gain is minimal compared to LT's. A set of LT's with a cat back system will give you the KICK you're lookin for. Dont bother with the shorties....IMO

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
johnebgoode said:
As far as I'm concerned shorties are a waste of mony. Why go thru all the effort of installing them when your HP gain is minimal compared to LT's. A set of LT's with a cat back system will give you the KICK you're lookin for. Dont bother with the shorties....IMO

I just wasn't for sure if their numbers got closer once you added a hi-flo mid-pipe to the shorties. I wondered if that was the real difference in the KICK...LTs vs just the shorties (w/o a new mid-pipe) ...but if I went w/ shorties, I'd want the new mid-pipe.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If smog isn't an issue go with the longtubes, but if it is go with the shorties and mid pipes. If smog rules are strict where you live why have the hassle of possibly failing smog because of your headers.

·
Registered
910 Posts
ModBoss2 said:
I just wasn't for sure if their numbers got closer once you added a hi-flo mid-pipe to the shorties. I wondered if that was the real difference in the KICK...LTs vs just the shorties (w/o a new mid-pipe) ...but if I went w/ shorties, I'd want the new mid-pipe.
Apples & oranges.....most everyone that installed shorties has gone to LT's after a while.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I went with the JBA shorties. I wish I'd gotten a before and after dyno, because there was a large SOTP difference. I've done the tune and cai, but the two of those combined didn't add as much oomph as the shorties. I also have catless midpipes, but I hope to get put on soon. Then I'll get a dyno and post it for ya.
The shorties have gotten a bad reputation, but they did work for me. JBA says 30 hp and 30 ft/lb of torque gains. I don't know if I saw THAT much, but I did see enough to make a difference in the way the car felt and drives. I suspect that the catless midpipes will take me pretty close to that 30/30 number. The dyno will tell I suppose.
So don't write the shorties off completely. If I had to do it over again, I'd do the same thing.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Baron I hope you are right because I ordered the JBA shorties as well and I am hoping to see some results. Currently I am waiting for tbyrne motorsports to ship them. They told me a couple of weeks, but it has been 3 already. After they get put on the next thing I plan on doing is putting on the catless mid-pipes.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I would like to hear from you after you get 'em installed to get your initial impression. I suspect that several others would like to hear it as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.