Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran down to Tampa today to play some poker.

A red M3 came up behind me fairly quick. I stepped down a bit and got to about 85 and then planted the right foot. By about 125 I had 3-4 cars on him. In fairness he might not have been quite ready I thought.

I let him pass and slowed back to 80 and he did the same. I got behind him and he planted it. I followed and by about 105-110 I had closed the gap from about 6 cars to about 2-1/2 cars and he let off.

He gave me a big thumbs up out the window.

Made me feel good to run a bit faster than a serious car like that. I don't think it was modded at all. It was the newest body style.

Trip to Tampa and back, 50% highway, 40% rural highway with 60 mph limits and a couple two lane passes, and 10% city driving, I averaged 25.8 mpg. I run about 10 over the limit.

Oh, Texas hold em. I won $435 for 3 hours of playing.

2nd hand I got an Ace 3 suited. The flop was (2) aces and a 3. I checked and didn't bet. Then the turn card was a Jack and a guy bet 15 a couple people followed. I raised it to 30 and everyone hung in.

The river was the most beautiful sight to see, an ace.

I went all in and two others with jacks followed thinking the full house was the big dog hand. Lots of gasps when the 4 aces popped up.

I played for another 3 hours without any exceptional hands and made another $100 or so from them. Good time for sure.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
The newest body style of the M3 is the one with the bubble on the hood and the V8 in it right? I haven't seen one yet. I had a guy in a prior body style M3 have a go at me a summer or two ago, before I had my engine rebuilt. I had my Borla catback and K&N cai, may have had my Kooks headers by then but don't think so. I was eager to race but didn't take the bait because there was too much traffic on the bayway, no real space to run.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It could happen. Was his a manual or the 7spd DCT?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Didn't stop to talk so I'm not sure.
The DCT shifts would most likely be absolutely seamless and the right hand most likely staying on the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
The DCT shifts would most likely be absolutely seamless and the right hand most likely staying on the steering wheel.
You wouldn't know that unless you was in the car or asked him. Looking over to see if he shifts or not while doing some "sprited" driving could be dangerous.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't notice the car shifting.

To say that I could see inside his car from behind to tell that he was shifting would be almost impossible. On the first run I was more interested in what was in front of me than to say thatI studied the rearview mirror to see if he was shifting. To me it really didn't matter. The DCT car is a tenth or two faster, but they are both fast cars.

Why are you so concerned what transmission he had ?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Is your 5.0 modded? Motor trend has those cars as a dead heat in the 1/4. Well actually they have the mustang winning by a 10th!:D You'd think that a car with an 8000+ redline would pull strong top end. Anyway nice win. I cant wait to get my GT in the spring.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You wouldn't know that unless you was in the car or asked him. Looking over to see if he shifts or not while doing some "sprited" driving could be dangerous.
No different than checking your mirrors or checking for car lengths.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I didn't notice the car shifting.

To say that I could see inside his car from behind to tell that he was shifting would be almost impossible. On the first run I was more interested in what was in front of me than to say thatI studied the rearview mirror to see if he was shifting. To me it really didn't matter. The DCT car is a tenth or two faster, but they are both fast cars.

Why are you so concerned what transmission he had ?
To make up 3.5-4 car lengths on a car that is equally or slightly quicker than a stock 5.0 (assuming you're stock) is a definite driver issue, and a huge deficit to overcome. I.E. manual trans more likely than the DCT.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
No different than checking your mirrors or checking for car lengths.
To glance in a rearview mirror thats in your view and looking over is two different things. If your staring in the mirrors thats bad too.
To make up 3.5-4 car lengths on a car that is equally or slightly quicker than a stock 5.0 (assuming you're stock) is a definite driver issue, and a huge deficit to overcome. I.E. manual trans more likely than the DCT.
Whats the official times of both?

·
Registered
377 Posts
To glance in a rearview mirror thats in your view and looking over is two different things. If your staring in the mirrors thats bad too.

Whats the official times of both?
Nearly identical, maybe 1-2mph to the M3.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nearly identical, maybe 1-2mph to the M3.
Car and Driver has identical times and trap speeds.

Motortrend has the GT faster in the quarter in both speed and time.

The M3 had a passenger. Not sure how much that matters, but it will affect it a bit.

Here's the thing, we're comparing numbers for a MANUAL GT. My car is an auto. It's also a base versus the test cars being Brembo brake equipped Premiums. The premium option package adds the Shaker 500, leather and power seats, plus some other items for almost 70 pounds of weight. The Brembo package adds 20 lbs per wheel or another 80 pounds.

So my car has an unknown combination on the transmission and it's 150 pounds lighter than the cars we are seeing a 12.7 1/4 mile for. A guy on the one mustang forum that I hang around in has run a 12.6 at 112.5 with his car and it's the same combo I have. Base A6.

Everything said and done I could have had as much as a 300 pound weight advantage.

Whatever it was, I didn't believe it when I pulled on him the first time. I figured he wasn't expecting it and gave him the advantage the second time. Even with him having the advantage of pulling the trigger first I still closed on him pretty quickly and consistant with the first run.

A stickshift with driver mods might account for it, but I didn't notice the typical attitude changes you see with a stick when they shift, the lifting of the front as power is let up. If he had a stick, when I was behind him, he powershifted.

Bottom line is, I got the W and he spent double what I did for a car that barely wins, less than a tenth of a second, on a road course compared to the Brembo car and is barely equal to slightly behind in the straightline. I know there's more to it than the raw comparison here, amenities and refinement, but you have to admit that the Mustang GT with the 5.0 is pretty awesome to run with an M3. That's something an SRT8 couldn't even think of doing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
my wife just purchased a 2011 mustang gt 6-speed premium, but with stock brakes
and we will let every one know after wednesday night what it will run in the quarter
mile. we plan on running it against my gto at our local drag strip. we went to a gto
show at our local strip and saw some running 7.99 up to 13.5. they were impressive
and don't forget gto oweners the 11 mustangs are governed. if you can see there
tail lights you can run them down

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my wife just purchased a 2011 mustang gt 6-speed premium, but with stock brakes
and we will let every one know after wednesday night what it will run in the quarter
mile. we plan on running it against my gto at our local drag strip. we went to a gto
show at our local strip and saw some running 7.99 up to 13.5. they were impressive
and don't forget gto oweners the 11 mustangs are governed. if you can see there
tail lights you can run them down
Governed to 155, 156 or 158 depending on the source. The GTO is also governed to 158.

You two should try swapping cars at the track to see how it plays out with different drivers.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
. The Brembo package adds 20 lbs per wheel or another 80 pounds.
Mustangs only have Brembos in the front unlike the Camaro SS and SRT-8 that have them in the front and rear. What I learned from my friend that the GT's with the Brembo package comes with a different tuned suspension then the non Brembo packaged Mustangs. I thought they had the same setup.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:eek: If that's accurate, that's insane! Do they have very small standard brakes and the largest Brembo's ever?
GMforlife is correct, only the front wheels have the Brembos.

I'm also wrong on the 20 lbs per wheel but correct with the 80lbs.

Larger Rotor and Caliper adds weight, plus there is a change from 18" wheels and tires to 19" wheels and tires. The larger wheels and tires add almost 4lbs per wheel or 16 pounds. There is larger sway bars, and a strut tower brace that add weight as well as some other items. I think they also change to larger rear calipers and rotors, just not Brembos.

On the flip side my car has a spare tire and a jack which adds 37 lbs to my cars total. So the Brembo package on a base GT or versus a GT with a spare tire only adds a net of 43 lbs.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts