Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Yesterday I go to back out of my driveway and the shifter starts grinding and kicks out of gear. I stop push clutch in and place it in reverse, ease off clutch, start backing and it does it again. Sounds horrible. It is under warranty, so I will take to the dealer first thing Monday. Just wondering if this is an isolated thing or if it is a problem with the gto ??? Oh, and second is difficult to shift to unless I'm at about 3g rpm's....

·
Registered
305 Posts
You weren't all the way in gear. Sometimes when the transmission's cold in the morning, it'll stop and feel "somewhat" like it's in gear when it's really not. When you let out the clutch and it go time, the stick'll kick back out.

What I do now is when I get "the feel" that it's not quite there, I keep forward pressure (lightly) on the stick and when you let the clutch out about an inch or two, it'll pop the rest of the way no problem. Finicky or what?

Now, I don't know for sure about your problem with second, but I had one similar. I found I was using too much left angle when I was shifting into second. Again, it's a technique thing. Although natural reaction when you're on the left-hand side of the shift pattern is to hold all the way left, this will cause the shifter to hang on the gate to second. Pull straight back from first and I hit it right every time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's the T56 for you, same thing in the WS6. It'll feel like it's in gear and give it some gas and *pop* it's back in neutral. There's nothing wrong, it's just a heavy duty tranny and takes some force, you'll get use to it.

As for second, I don't know what to say, maybe it's skip shift, or maybe you're trying to hard, just move it straight back it should go right in, don't force it left.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Dragon 32 said:
Ok, Yesterday I go to back out of my driveway and the shifter starts grinding and kicks out of gear. I stop push clutch in and place it in reverse, ease off clutch, start backing and it does it again. Sounds horrible. It is under warranty, so I will take to the dealer first thing Monday. Just wondering if this is an isolated thing or if it is a problem with the gto ??? Oh, and second is difficult to shift to unless I'm at about 3g rpm's....
This is what mine started doing the first time the tranny took a sh*t.... take it to the dealer!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
M6 problem update. Well it doesn't sound good. I took it to the Dealer first thing this morning. The Dealer called me about an hour after I dropped it off. They advised that they were going to have to take the tranny apart to locate the problem and that they had me a loaner ready.... I'll keep everyone informed as to what the problem turns out to be, so that if anyone has similar problem they can get it took care of...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
M6 problem update. Well it doesn't sound good. I took it to the Dealer first thing this morning. The Dealer called me about an hour after I dropped it off. They advised that they were going to have to take the tranny apart to locate the problem and that they had me a loaner ready.... I'll keep everyone informed as to what the problem turns out to be, so that if anyone has similar problem they can get it took care of...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Keep us updated!!!

Anyone had problems in the morning getting into gears? Sometimes 2nd is tough and today it would grind into 3rd or be very hard to get into third even w/ the clutch all the way down.

Car is an 06 w/ 1300 miles

·
Registered
58 Posts
this morning i could hardly get the tranny in 1st. one time at a light i had to leave in 2nd because by the time i got frustrated with it, the guy in front of me was already threw the intersection and i was still sitting there. and 2nd and 3rd is hard when it is cold out. will changing to royal purple help when it is cold out

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Sometimes the T56 is a little tough to get into first. Just put it into any other gear -- as it will go -- bump the clutch a little -- and you'll be fine to go into first.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Dragon 32 said:
I just dropped mine at the dealer for the same problem. I have 7K miles on my 06 and it has done it ever since I bought it new. I'll keep you updated.
:agree

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mine is almost out of warranty, and I've had a similar problem before, mostly going into reverse. Some say, it's normal, some say it's not. But I figure I'll take it to the dealer now just in case so if I'm lucky I can get a new tranny.

Something about things being new make me feel better even if I only have
26K miles on it.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
My first tranny blew up at 30k miles.

I'm at 61k on the replacement, so far so bueno.

Royal Purple helps the feel immensely.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update, I dropped the goat off at the dealer Monday, now Wednesday, I called them today and they said they had to order some part's for the tranny and I should have it back tomorrow Thursday. When I go to pick it up I will get a list of part's replaced and why.......

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I called the Dealer today, Thursday. And they advised it would be a couple of more days. Reason ? They said GM did not send them some plastic spacer's and that they notified GM of the mistake. And GM says my car doesn't need the spacers, but the dealerships computer say's it does. So the Mech. said they had to mail GM a pic of what they are talking about...... Anyway's the Dealer's Service Dept. is closed on weekends. So it will be sometime next week before I get my Goat back. It wouldn't be so bad but my loaner is a 2005 Chevy Cavalier FWD 4 banger......

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Dragon 32 said:
It wouldn't be so bad but my loaner is a 2005 Chevy Cavalier FWD 4 banger......
Neat. The official ride of Big Mike. Look at it this way, at least you'll have the whole weekend to do Joie Chitwood thrill shows in that thing. Holding the accelerator pedal to the floor for 30 seconds during every start up is good for a chuckle, too.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Dragon 32 said:
Well, I called the Dealer today, Thursday. And they advised it would be a couple of more days. Reason ? They said GM did not send them some plastic spacer's and that they notified GM of the mistake. And GM says my car doesn't need the spacers, but the dealerships computer say's it does. So the Mech. said they had to mail GM a pic of what they are talking about...... Anyway's the Dealer's Service Dept. is closed on weekends. So it will be sometime next week before I get my Goat back. It wouldn't be so bad but my loaner is a 2005 Chevy Cavalier FWD 4 banger......
I am suppose to take my goat back to the dealer for a paint defect and there is no way I will let them give me a sh***y car like that for a loaner.

·
Registered
178 Posts
QSGTO said:
I just dropped mine at the dealer for the same problem. I have 7K miles on my 06 and it has done it ever since I bought it new. I'll keep you updated.
:agree
Friday. Day 3 at the dealer. The service writer called me and said they have been talking with tech support about the issue and haven't solved the problem yet. he said they would have to keep it longer. I went by the dealer to get some stuff out of my car this afternoon, and the trans was sitting by the car on the floor. It hasn't been disassembled or anything. I looked through bell housing to try to see the condition of the clutch. I looked at the pilot bearing and there was a big gouge in the flywheel where it meets the crank. The mechanic wasn't there, so I showed the service writer and the tech in the next bay. I asked each of them to ask the tech what happened and have him get back to me. And just to add insult to injury, if they open my trans, there goes the $50 worth of royal purple I put in 3 weeks ago. I'll know more Monday. I sure am getting tired of driving an impala.
:mad: :shutme

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got an '04 with 5700 miles.

At 4K miles we noticed a difficulty in shifting into 5th, with it popping out, grinding when going in. Took it into the dealer at 4,900 miles - replaced 5th gear and the synchros. Clutch was re-torqued to new specs. The thing drove like a different car - we're in love !

At 5,200 miles the problem is back, only worse. Have to double clutch to shift into 5th or "lean" on the shifter. Back to the dealer at 5,500 miles. After 12 days in the shop, they replaced 5th and synchros again, plus replaced shift forks. I guess the tranny was apart twice and many calls were made to tech.

I've heard from others that the Tremec is a bit half-baked. I'm glad the warranty will outlive my ownership.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts