Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
501 RWHP & 469 RWTQ
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a gas station yesterday and filled up with gas. I had to backup from the pump to get out of the station. The strangest thing happened and I was wondering if it has ever happened to anyone else.

I put it in reverse backed up so I could get out but when I took it out of reverse and went to put it in 1st my shifter was moving freely and finding no gears. It just was moving anywhere like it was not connected to anything. I finally got it into 3rd gear and tried heading home. (wasn't far) I deceided to pull over in a parking lot in between my house and the station. I came to a stop and tried to put it in 1st gear and sure enough it was now there. The shifter no longer felt like it was on a swivel. Drove home just like nothing was wrong.

Any ideas on what might have happened. :confused :confused

·
Registered
103 Posts
loose linkage, that finally caught???? What ever it may be, it might come back, so keep any eye out....

semi related: While pushing the clutch in on my car I heard a "POP". There after, any movement of the clutch pedal resulted in another pop. Got home, looked at the pedal.... The linkage from the pedal to the piston had become loose. Looked as though some sort of snap ring had broke free. I pushed the connector back on and had no problems since.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Man, I sure hope my clutch stays healthy. My T/A ran flawlessly, until I retired from the Army, with about 70,000 miles on her. Then, I started having a hard time shifting into first, second and crunching third. I put a SPEC stage 3, 2001 Slave Cylinder and an Aluminum Flywheel in her. For the next 40,000 miles, she was in and out of the shop, stranded me twice with the peddle going to the floor, and the drivability went to s**t. I recently sold it to one of my co-workers, and he has it in the garage now, waiting on more clutch parts!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Just about 60k on my Holden, and the clutch is fine. I can definitely tell it's not as firm as it once was, but it still works great....and trust me, with my LA freeway commute, it gets a lot of cycles.

I don't drive like an old lady (far from it), but I'm not abusive to the equipment either...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.