Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just test drove a 06 m6 in bham today. just to see the difference to my a4. first of all, the seats are still slow as the 05. the shifter is very bad. i got on it in 1-4th and had a bad vibration sound. i could not find 4th. but i would still get a 6 speed if i had to choose again. i got to the power band a lot quicker than my a4 and its a lot more fun to drive:cool

just my .02

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 06 PB M6 is the first manual car that I have had. I really wanted to get a automatic because it was all I knew and manuals seemed to be too much of a hassle and learning curve. But, five days after driving it, I now know what everyone means when they talk about the fun of driving a manual. I am still a little shaky on starting from first, but once I get out of first, it's all good from there!

·
Registered
268 Posts
EEZ GOAT said:
i just test drove a 06 m6 in bham today. just to see the difference to my a4. first of all, the seats are still slow as the 05. the shifter is very bad. i got on it in 1-4th and had a bad vibration sound. i could not find 4th. but i would still get a 6 speed if i had to choose again. i got to the power band a lot quicker than my a4 and its a lot more fun to drive:cool

just my .02

Hey man I am in Bham too...:seeya: Where you drive it at? Courtesy? That is where I bought mine. This manual for me took about a day to get use to. I have had many manuals before. At first the shifting to the higher gears to me seemed tight they were real close together...But like i said got use to it quick,,,I bought an 06 spice red.....

·
Registered
700 Posts
All of the "problems" with the M6 can be fixed with a simple shifter upgrade. I put in the GMM Ripshifter a little over a month ago and I must say, it's impressive. All the sloppyness and difficulty in finding the gears is removed. It's how the GTOs *should* have come from the factory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
EEZ GOAT said:

just my .02
I have 06´GTO with manual transmisson, I like it. I´m agree, 400hp and m6 is really fun to drive! :)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Put the ripshifter in it and you'll experience REAL fun.
:cheers

·
Registered
137 Posts
EEZ no offense...but if I knew you had never driven a manual before and you asked to learn on my 400HP 6 speed new GTO I'd tell you to go screw. That being said, hope you didn't burn the clutch up too much. I've seen people who don't know how to work a manual shift go through a clutch in 5 hours on a sportbike....

Was it intimidating learning to drive a stick on such a powerful car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I picked up an '05 M6 during March Madness, and have a new A4 in Brazen Orange on order (should be here soon, but probably not in enough time for 0% financing). Like you say, the M6 sure has the fun factor built in, but its not funny if you're stuck in traffic. The A4 is probably better suited for high density stop and go traffic situations.

·
Registered
387 Posts
LaPuzza said:
I signed up for my IBM/M6 yesterday. The wife can't drive stick, so that's gonna be a good time :|
I can't talk my wife into driving it...I've taken her for a couple rides :rofl: She's one of the best drivers I know, and can handle a stick, but she says I'm going to have to put a ding in it before she drives it.

I hope that will be a long time :lol:

·
Registered
700 Posts
ShoddyHog said:
I can't talk my wife into driving it...I've taken her for a couple rides :rofl: She's one of the best drivers I know, and can handle a stick, but she says I'm going to have to put a ding in it before she drives it.

I hope that will be a long time :lol:
Gotta love those women who can handle a stick!!

...um, hell yeah! :cheers

I will not allow a woman to drive my GTO, I've had very bad experiences in the past with powerful rear-wheel drive cars and women driving them. Now, if Danica Patrick decided she wanted to drive it, I'd probably allow her. Girlfriend/Wife/Mistress/etc...no.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have only driven manual since I could drive. Now I'm kind of tired of it. Phoenix traffic killed the fun of driving stick, so this time around, I went auto. Glad I did! Especially if I start adding bigger power.

·
Registered
83 Posts
:agree:agree:agree

After driving stick for so long, I am done with it in city traffic. Like you need a manual to have fun driving this car... Great for all those who do, but I'll take my auto for a spin any day as well. It's all good after all with this car.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've had auto's all my life, this M6 is a blast, traffic or not. I love to choose my rev/shift points, I like the poping sound on decell and I sure don't mind the high gear rubber and stall ability without the aftermarket bolt on. Auto's are nice but heck, the gas miles and stall of the M6 really launches and for some reason this goat loves a pissy/listen to me attitude everytime I drive it. Just love to make my own shifts, everytime!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Pick your own shifts all day, I'll take the quicker car... This auto is perfectly matched to this engine. It works well in launches. Most autos are relaxed and unagressive. I think most auto naysayers just didnt try the auto at all. And I dont blame them. It seems like 80% of the GTO's on the lot are manuals...

·
Registered
337 Posts
one cat hair of a second is made up without even a bolt on. Most drivers can't drive a stick. What's your point? :shutme

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think a true car enthusiast will drive a manual. Its the challenge of being in full control of your car when racing it. Not having to depend on an auto to do the shifting for you. Mastering the art of manual shifting is a challenge as apposed to the single action of just pressing on the gas and waiting for the your auto to do the work for you. I'll take manual over auto any day of the week.

P.S. I'm still trying very hard to master art of manual shifting.:)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts