Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi GTO Forum,
I need some help figuring out where one wire should go. I’be attached a few pictures.

It is running from the positive terminal on the battery (coupled to the main
Automotive tire Electrical wiring Trunk Cable Bumper

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Electrician Electrical wiring Cable

Asphalt Electrical wiring Wood Flooring Road surface

Hood Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Finger Motor vehicle Electrician Electrical wiring

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle Bumper

Automotive tire Electrical wiring Bicycle tire Audio equipment Electronic engineering

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Cable

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Finger

positive cable that goes to the starter) to a aftermarket circuit breaker, through the firewall, which is where I need help.

We had to replace the wiring harness behind the dashboard. Previous owners of the car did a pretty poor job of maintaining the wires. They installed a Mallory HyFire6A ignition system and used everything from wire nuts to unsoldered splices.

The new harness installation went pretty smooth. We have lights, warning buzzers, wipers, etc. But no starter/cranking power.

I’m guessIng that the heavy gauge red wire should be plugged into the fuse block, but we neglected to take a picture of the location before we pulled the dashboard.

There are a few other mysterious connectors on the new harness (see picutures). Any advice on those would be welcomed too.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I will start ........
anyone please chime in

pic 2 3 prong wierd connection I think is cornering lights
pic 3 gray yellow is 1/2 of the radio plug ..yellow hot gray illumination
it plugs into the speaker plug that fitsinto the radio they stack
pic 4 pink n orange fairly sure is th400 kickdown on the gas pedal
pic 5 goes to the base of the column backup light switch banana shaped
pic 6 I know nuthin about those distributors
pic 7 that fat red probably powers a relay or goes to the realy for power to the ignition... NOT FACTORY
the fat orange in the picture goes out to the horn relay thru the firewall
pic8 is the other end of pic 7 ??
pic9 or stereo amp ???
pic 10 gray is clock illumination ... like the gray at the radio all grays are illumination

the 2 fat purples need to have a jumper between them for now or it wont turn over
those go to the clutch pedal nuetral start switch hanginging up there on the pedal carrier
BUT there is a double purple 18" jumper wire between them you may or may not have
I have both if needed ,,,, originals.... switch and jumper

Scott

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Scott,
Thanks for all of your help! We‘ve made good progress on the wiring harness this week. Just one “unknown” wire under the dash (see attached photo). The orange wire comes out of a bundle of wires about 4 inches above the fuse box.

Also, I still don’t have working gauges on the instrument panel. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hand Cloud Human body Finger Thumb

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
What Scott said
or
the power accessory feed for the clock, power trunk switch etc.

Check the gauge fuse?
Check the Instrument Cluster plug terminal 11, pink wire for power.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Scott,
Thanks for all of your help! We‘ve made good progress on the wiring harness this week. Just one “unknown” wire under the dash (see attached photo). The orange wire comes out of a bundle of wires about 4 inches above the fuse box.

Also, I still don’t have working gauges on the instrument panel. Any suggestions?

Thanks

View attachment 154019
Did we confirm what the orange wire with the black connector is? I have the same wire hanging by the fuse block. I also don't have an orange wire on the horn relay that the wiring diagram says is supposed to be there. Orange usually means power all of the time. Correct? I do have a black and red at the horn switch that has 12 v continuously. The orange would tie in and have 12v all of the time. What does the orange supply to, the fuse block?

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Not uncommon. Pontiac provided the orange wire in all vehicles, but if they didn't have the options listed it was just a spare circuit.

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
No, probably not. Hood tach wiring wouldn't enter the interior except for the grey lighting wire.
Other Brown wires are for the heater, ignition and headlight switches. Those would be in a harness.

The tach wire is by itself, not part of a harness. Follow the wire and see where it leads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts