Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

I foresee a belt change in the near future for my GTO, and I don't have much mechanical experience.

I did help a neighbor change his serpentine belt on his 2003 Malibu. We had to remove the coolant overflow tank, and various other odds and ends.

We also needed to remove the passenger side motor mount to install the belt which required a hydraulic jack underneath the motor to keep the motor from dropping when changing the belt.

He's never changed his belt before, but with the both of us, we managed to get the job done.

My question is, are there any odds and ends that I can remove when changing my main belt to make the job easier? What about the radiator shroud? Those plastic retainers that keep it pinned in place, will those need to be replaced?

What else can I do to make the job go as easy and as smooth as possible?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
49 Posts
1)Remove Cold Air Intake, or stock duct to throttle body
2)Remove Radiator shroud/cover
3)install belt

or
4) find somebody with really small hands that also knows how to install the belt
:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's not very difficult. After doing one on a fwd v6, this will go smooth as butter.Once you get the air intake off and the black plastic radiator cover off, there's tons of room and all you need is to move the tensioner and go at it. The belt routing is pretty simple, Just remember you're going to have to install the A/C belt first behind the main one. I've always had my coolant hose off everytime I had to install the belt, so I don't know if it's harder to do with that there or not. I just know that one time my coolant hose was resting a bit too close to the power steering pulley and it ripped a hole in it. Could check to make sure you have plenty of clearance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts